GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Star Wars: Battlefront - Worth it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars: Battlefront'.
Mon 27/09/04 at 10:51
Regular
Bearing in mind I like a decent single player and that I can't rent games, is this really worth the effot?

Heard a fair few on Mech Assault last night who were bored of it as well as a few people I know who have the PS2 version and are bored of it.

Wanting a relly top LIVE title that people will come back to and play again and again for the next few months, in all honesty is this really going to last above a couple of weeks?

Cheers.
Mon 27/09/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Touched!"
Hey Ali , what is your CS:Source username? I'll add you to my friends list, I'll make an effort to play you very soon, just had a lot of with uni, sorry about the other night mate!
Mon 27/09/04 at 21:45
Regular
I take what IGN say with a pinch of salt. Sometimes you will get a 7 page review discussing the game's flaws only to see a 7 -9/10 score given at the end.

They have a tendency to sl*g games off and then rate the highly and vice versa.

The Editor of IGN PS2 though is a pretty top reviewier. I'm not strapped for cash or anything, saving up for my TV and all is my main priority however I don't want to burn money all the same.

Will probably get it and see for myself.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:21
"I love yo... lamp."
I'm sure though that you realise that isn't the basis of an informed opinion on the game, with the demo being a pre-release build. The actual game has better graphics, remapped controls and a bunch of bug fixes. Amongst other stuff.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:00
Regular
Played the demo.

Clunky controls, poor atmosphere, pretty slow... it ain't very good.
Mon 27/09/04 at 18:58
Regular
"8==="
Savatt78 wrote:
>
> I think stats might have been a good idea for the long run, because
> that would give players something to play for other than fun. Maybe
> they should have done something similar to Splinter Cell: PT in
> having ranked games and unranked games.

Good idea.

Patch please LA.
Mon 27/09/04 at 18:25
Regular
IGN complained that you HAVE to take down the AT-AT's on the Battle of Hoth?

Flucking retards, of course you do. That's one of the main spectacles of the battle, it's not like you loose the level though when they blow up the shield generators. Infact most of the game I've played on Hoth end up with the rebels loosing Echo Base and it just being a big free for all, with rebels commandeering AT-ST's and just blowing the crap out of everything.

It just depends how you want to play it I guess. IGN complain about a lot of the aspects that I really have no problem with, there's very few level where you have to use the same tactics over and over so I really don't know what they're talking about.
Mon 27/09/04 at 18:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Power up troops and control Jedi ? Hmmmmmmmmm, just trying to picture the build up to the battle of Hoth in the films with that kind of idea. "Ok, move you're men to this point where there should be some power ups to collect !"

Not all games need to have power ups, thats why theres a varied choice of troops - so you can decide which things need to be dealt with. If ATATs are overrunning the base, you obviously need to get the Speeders onto them, use rocket launchers and gun turrets. As for the Jedi, they would have made it the most boring game ever. If you could be the Jedi or the Sith, how many people would actually choose to be a pilot or a rifle trooper ? The great atmosphere on battles like Hoth would be completely lost as players just constantly meet somewhere in the middle for a light saber pub fight (afterall, how many games have actually come up with nice fluid saber fight controls ?)

I think stats might have been a good idea for the long run, because that would give players something to play for other than fun. Maybe they should have done something similar to Splinter Cell: PT in having ranked games and unranked games.

I don't really see how someone can love Mech Assault and then call Battlefront crap though. I like Mech Assault, but I don't see what makes it so superior. If anything, I think the game lacks any real skill because its actually pretty hard to miss the enemy. The only thing you have to be careful of is not running out to take on the world. You just stick with your team mates as a pack, gang up on single enemies, then grab the power ups so that they're screwed for the rest of the game.

Of course theres times you get crap team mates and it just ends up being a complete mess of firing at everything, but its pretty much guaranteed that the ones who do the above tactic and just stick to a certain point of ground are the winners. Plus it always helps to know which spawn point has the best and highest ground to shoot from so you can change your team colour accordingly.
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:33
Regular
"8==="
Leave AD&D out of it. :D
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:29
Regular
In the eyes of the beholder.
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:28
Regular
"8==="
It is better than Mech Assault though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.