GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Star Wars: Battlefront - Worth it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars: Battlefront'.
Mon 27/09/04 at 10:51
Regular
Bearing in mind I like a decent single player and that I can't rent games, is this really worth the effot?

Heard a fair few on Mech Assault last night who were bored of it as well as a few people I know who have the PS2 version and are bored of it.

Wanting a relly top LIVE title that people will come back to and play again and again for the next few months, in all honesty is this really going to last above a couple of weeks?

Cheers.
Mon 27/09/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Touched!"
It's pretty intense online, I dunno what IGN were complaining about as far as the bots go as to me they seemed pretty decent and at times challenging. It does actually feel like a battle, but if you want a good single player game then this isn't for you. I'm hoping the patch will fix the lag issues and there is the odd framerate dip but apart from that a very fun experience on Live until Halo 2 anyway!
Mon 27/09/04 at 14:17
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:

>
> Wanting a relly top LIVE title that people will come back to and play
> again and again for the next few months, in all honesty is this
> really going to last above a couple of weeks?
>
> Cheers.

That's soooo going to be Halo 2.
Mon 27/09/04 at 13:54
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hedfix wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> Being a badass Stormtrooper does have it's charms, but I don't have
> Live, so it doesn't appeal that much anymore.
>
> Could've sworn I saw you on 2 night ago. :S
>
> EDIT: oh no that was MWA.
>
> Too many fricking monkeys. Incidentally I saw the correctly spelled
> Shaolin Monkey on CS yesterday. Strange.

Cool, the message changed in the time I was looking at it and clicked it. I play PC games a lot more online now - Vietcong and Halo - but no Xbox Live yet.
Mon 27/09/04 at 13:53
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I love the game and don't see how anyone can say it lacks any Star Wars "feel" to it. The bots tend to be pretty intelligent, so you can't just run around the whole map single handedly taking every spawn point.

Plus of course whereas most Star Wars games portray the big battles as a small arena with you having to play the role you're given (such as Luke or Wedge in a Snowspeeder), you don't have to do that in this game and the battlefield is very open. Of course you can still jump into the ships and Speeders, but you're also free to just take a typical trooper and take control of a gun turret, or shoot at the advancing enemies from a trench.

Of course some people might get bored with the single player, personally, I'm still enjoying it. But on Live, this is definatly one of the best titles because theres so much you can do for your team. If you don't feel you're doing too well on foot, you can jump into a vehicle and perform bombing runs which can help clear an area enough for your team to press forward. I love jumping into the walkers and I tend to have my best moments when I'm in an ATAT, ATST or an ATTE.

But when it comes to online play, there are so many cool moments, especially when you have a good number of players in the game. Its always excellent to hold a corridor on Bespin with your team firing down one side while the enemy fire back from the other side. Then of course theres the moments such as when you team up with people in the vehicles - particularly the Snowspeeder and take down ATATs. You have to rely on eachother to do a decent job. The guy in the back has to hit the mark with the towcable, while the guy in the front has to fly the circles around the walker without getting blown away. The Snowspeeder can take awhile to properly master. I've encountered plenty of players who suck at flying it. ;-)

How anyone has labelled this game as a Mech Assault rip off/wannabe is beyond me. Thats like saying Mech Assault is a rip off/wannabe of Halo. Battlefront is a great shooter and a nice change from having to peek around every corner and having your face blown off by nerds who eat, sleep and s**t the game 24/7.

And Bullet, don't judge this game by the demo in the Trilogy box set. The demo is actually a pretty crappy representation of the final product. The actual game has better graphics, the troops have more of a life bar to them and can take more punishment before being taken out, the bots are more intelligent and around half of the controls have changed. For one thing, you don't have a button that changes the rate of fire, the black button is now used to change your position in the vehicle and you can get other people to get aboard with you to take the other positions. That demo must have been put together pretty early in the developing stages.
Mon 27/09/04 at 13:52
"I love yo... lamp."
Light - You should. Belldandy is Red Cell UK. I'm not sure if that is his way of coming out as a communist, but there are quite a few games you could shoot him in. Probably be good for your blood pressure as well.
Mon 27/09/04 at 13:52
Regular
"8==="
monkey_man wrote:
> Being a badass Stormtrooper does have it's charms, but I don't have
> Live, so it doesn't appeal that much anymore.

Could've sworn I saw you on 2 night ago. :S

EDIT: oh no that was MWA.

Too many fricking monkeys. Incidentally I saw the correctly spelled Shaolin Monkey on CS yesterday. Strange.
Mon 27/09/04 at 13:51
Regular
"8==="
Much as I dislike it kicks the **** out of Mech Assault.

I expect you'd enjoy it Ali if you can put up with Assault on live, just don't expect to get ranked.

For me it's shortlived. Partly due to the low level of strategy required and partly due to not getting ranked. Black Arrow's miles more fun.
Mon 27/09/04 at 13:45
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Cyclone wrote:

>
> Does he have Live?
Nope. Not yet.
Mon 27/09/04 at 12:38
Regular
I wasn't after opinions on Mech Assault.

I just want to know if Battlefront will be a LIVE game like 90% of LIVE titles that get dropped after a week or so playing it. Plus whenever I am on there only seems to be 1 maybe 2 people from here on and a game like this I don't want to just jump in with random Americans.

Otherwise I will go ahead and nab it.
Mon 27/09/04 at 12:15
Regular
Since when has Mech Assault been the first game to include arcadey shooting?

If those guys are still playing Mech Assault after all this time then it really tells me a lot about their game tastes.

Battlefront's a hell of a lot more involving and varied than the one trick pony that is Mech Assault. Sure it's not the deepest game and it could even be described as quite shallow, but online it's simply excellent. It the has the most Star Wars feel of any game I've ever played. Levels like Endor, Hoth, Naboo and Kashykk just can't be beaten for their Star Wars feel, online they're simply immense.

Flying around with a friend in the back of your snowspeeder trying to take down AT-AT or in the back of your Y-Wing shooting at stormtroopers is worth the price alone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.