GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Star Wars: Battlefront - Worth it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars: Battlefront'.
Mon 27/09/04 at 10:51
Regular
Bearing in mind I like a decent single player and that I can't rent games, is this really worth the effot?

Heard a fair few on Mech Assault last night who were bored of it as well as a few people I know who have the PS2 version and are bored of it.

Wanting a relly top LIVE title that people will come back to and play again and again for the next few months, in all honesty is this really going to last above a couple of weeks?

Cheers.
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:27
Regular
Just watched the IGN Video review and umm yeah, it didn't help one bit.

Aside from the PC version which has superior aiming capabilities with the mouse they pretty much said it was a limited game both on and offline with no area to power up troops, control Jedi or even go on a conquest. They also laid down the fact that the variety is null, there is only one way you can survive which is by taking out the massive AT-AT's and what not depending on the map.

Sounds limited and poorl presented from where I am standing and I have a feeling as soon as I get it suddenly everyone on LIVE will stop playing it and move onto something else.

For PC online gamers they couldn't recommend it at all as the game as there arre way better online games out there. Due to the fact that LIVE is way smaller they said it is good fun for a while but they can't see it lasting.
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:12
Regular
"8==="
True enough. Bots are mainly cannon fodder but when they're on the top setting and one sides are working and the others sides aren't you really notice. :D
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:10
Regular
"Touched!"
Hmm odd...they have *seemed* ok, but yeah the AI is certainly far from "decent", I've also found at times having to tell them to follow me as they were stood there on the odd occasion, I'm usually too caught up in the battle to notice the bots anyway.
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:03
Regular
"8==="
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> It's pretty intense online, I dunno what IGN were complaining about as
> far as the bots go as to me they seemed pretty decent and at times
> challenging.

I've come round corners to find a few bots on my side sitting there doing NOTHING, not guarding a spawn point or a strategic part of the map but stuck in a stupid out-of-the-way part just frozen and doing sweet f a whilst the other sides bots are murdering us.

This was with the bots on the top difficulty setting.

NOT amusing in the slightest, in fact very VERY crap indeed.

EDIT: and the BEST bit is when you kill them hoping they'll re-spawn and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING they go back to doing absolutely NOTHING.

Crappity, crap craps on a bike made of crap. Yup.
Mon 27/09/04 at 15:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
UT seems a bit....sterile. I mean, it doesn't have the classic feel of UT to it.

Or from what I can tell, playing a demo (which actually has LOADS of maps, which is nice. Just only one for Assault. BOO!)
Mon 27/09/04 at 15:39
Regular
Soldner is poor. UT2004 on the other hand is a work of art.
Mon 27/09/04 at 15:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
But then again, Live offers much easier ways of playing.

And I'm happy with it!

having said that, I'm downloading a Soldner demo now.

I got a UT2004 one too. Pretty sweet.
Mon 27/09/04 at 15:07
Regular
True. 64 vs 64 on Joint Operations destroys anything LIVE offers.

Even with Savage at 32 vs 32 and Counter Strike, LIVE doesn't compare.
Mon 27/09/04 at 14:59
Regular
"gsybe you!"
On PC, Battlefront is less of a choice because it's not 100+ player games like Joint Oprations/Soldner etc.

On Xbox, there's nothing else like it.
Mon 27/09/04 at 14:33
Regular
Halo 2 will indeed be a sweet title.

The thing is, I play PC online as well so when people rave about LIVE titles I have usually been there done that, got the geek shirt and am happily trotting onto the next game.

To me it sounds like a dumbed down version of Savage which appeared on PC earlier this year with the only difference being I can play people from here which I seemingly never do anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.