GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 Patch"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 20/11/04 at 15:09
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
When is one likely to be released?

You can list any bug fixes you'd like to see included and general half life 2 errors chat.
Thu 25/11/04 at 01:27
Regular
Update from the steam site:
The changes in this release are directed at reducing the problem some users are experiencing with sound stuttering. The sound stuttering is not indicative of a sound problem, sound stuttering is only a symptom of texture thrashing on your video card or AGP memory. (*cough * Bullshat) For information on how to reduce texture thrashing visit this link on our support site:

[URL]http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=280[/URL]

This update will fix sound stuttering that users were experiencing that would last for longer than a few seconds during normal gameplay. This update will also eliminate this same behavior following a quicksave or autosave. There will still be a short pause while the autosave happens, but not the more drawn out stuttering behaivior.

We are still investigating another performance problem on some hardware, which will manifest where the game is getting into a state where performance drops to less than 5 fps and does not recover or crashes.

Next week we will be releasing the Source SDK, along with a surprise for the community.
Thu 25/11/04 at 00:45
Regular
"accidental superher"
The stuttering bug was only really noticeable to me in the first little chunk of the game.
Other than that I have yet to notice any other really visible bugs.
Thu 25/11/04 at 00:16
Regular
I think Half-Life 2 is a technical marvel.
Thu 25/11/04 at 00:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Fact is, the game runs nicely enough on my severely graphics-power lacking PC. Consequently, when I wasn't expecting perfection, I was happy.

Stutters every few minutes, for about half a second, sometimes for a few.

Ho-hum.
Wed 24/11/04 at 22:01
"I love yo... lamp."
OK so slight exaggeration then. But these are still bugs that shouldn't be there. It's like they rushed a game that they have spent six years developing. Didn't they do any testing?
Wed 24/11/04 at 19:13
Notorious Biggles wrote:

> And yet, despite 6 years worth of development time, it still looks
> like it was coded by second year university students. A great game
> has been severely tarnished by terrible implementation.

Uh huh. The best second year uni students can do are isolated graphic demos and CRM systems, not a commercial game.
Wed 24/11/04 at 19:05
Regular
I agree with NB, to an extent.

According to Valve it has 3 major bugs that aren't just sitting in the code but are actually visable. Check the video on the Steam forums of a guy who has pauses for 1-3 seconds every few steps he takes no matter what setting he has it on.

I admit, the stuttering I get is no-where near as bad as this but it still fecks me off what with me waiting so long for the game and with there being fack all else out recently.

I was expecting a near flawless PC game after 6 years but it is anything but. Even with these issues aside people are still getting memory errors constantly making it unplayable.
Wed 24/11/04 at 18:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> And yet, despite 6 years worth of development time, it still looks
> like it was coded by second year university students. A great game
> has been severely tarnished by terrible implementation.

Absolute tosh.
Wed 24/11/04 at 18:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> It seems to me the ones who always tell the moaners to shut-up are
> the ones who don't actually have any issues themselves.
---

Yes, that's kinda the whole point.
Wed 24/11/04 at 18:12
"I love yo... lamp."
Goaty, Alistair is right. From a computer scientist's point of view, I can see that HL2 has some rather serious issues. I'm glad it works pretty well for you, but for some people with slightly different hardware configurations it refuses to work. It should work fine as well, that's the whole point of DirectX and the various other API's you get for programming - they do all the interfacing so you don't have to.

And yet, despite 6 years worth of development time, it still looks like it was coded by second year university students. A great game has been severely tarnished by terrible implementation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.