GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The No1 Console to own now is.........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/05/01 at 00:12
Regular
The Dreamcast!
Sega might be stopping production, but this console really is the one to be playing the top games of today.
Crazy Taxi 2 Sonic ADV 2 etc... I havent seen a Playstation 2 title yet that has Surpassed the Visuals of the DC.
This is someone speaking with years of loyalty to Nintendo too, so I would't call it biased.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:16
Regular
I never really played sensible much. My brother always beat me, so i concentrated on games like Jaguar XJ220, Lotuts Esprit etc, and beat him at those!

Those were the days.......

*puts on rose tinted spectacles*

:-)
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:14
The best console is the next one, they always sound so good until they turn up and spoil the hype.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:14
Regular
they were pritty crappy for games like sensible. u really needed a stick to be able to control the ball. Back in those days the games required true skill.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:10
Regular
I found that out as well. I ended up buying some Megadrive pads. They weren't very comfortable when i think back.....
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:08
Regular
i still got mine, but sadly the bug has died. It dont work anymore. They wernt very reliable. i went through about 5. I really got into my games, and the joysticks just couldnt keep up with me. Anyway, u could still use megadrive pads as Amiga pads, which i found a little strange.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:05
Regular
The Bug was an a mazing joystick!!

I wish i still had mine :-(
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:04
Regular
oh my god! i have the bug. TWO OF THEM! i used to love playing sensible soccer with them. I was the master.

anyway. sony pads make my fingers hurt. my thumb always feels really sore after playing for periods.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:02
"High polygon count"
TheMorrigan wrote:
> The PS2 isnt all what it was hyped up to be, you cant ignore that.

It is to most, it isn't to some.

> Plus Sony wouldn't be where they are today without Nintendo and their
> excellence in the market, would they?
> The Playstation was created
> as a joint adventure between Nintendo and Sony as a Super Nes
> add-on, then Nintendo backed out, Sony got cocky and released the
> machine as a stand alone console which harnassed all the ideas from
> Nintendo that went into the system from the early Sony/Nintendo
> alliance.

We know the history. Two points: 1. Did Sony get cocky? Or did they just not want to waste the investment that they'd put in before Nintendo let them down? 2. If Nintendo were/are so excellent, why did they need Sony in the first place?

> Then Nintendo come up with great
> ideas such as the Rumble Pak, Sony followed suit with their Dual
> Shock.

Fair enough, but...

> They Pioneered the use of the Anologue Stick, again Sony
> followed suit.

I had a home console with analogue sticks before Nintendo had ever released a home console, so that I do not accept.

> And of course it isnt what it was hyped up to be.

Personal opinion. The PS2 is, for me, everything that Sony promised and more. The 'extra' hype applied by the gaming press that PS2 would be a complete revolution in gaming was always nonsense; the GameCube and X-Box will fair no better in that area. Not only do current machines not have the power, but the next true revolution will come in the form of new game concepts and advances in programming and AI.

> £300 for JUST a PS2, one joypad, no mem card. £30 for a Mem card, you need
> them!, £20 for a Multitap, Then youve to get a game worth
> buying- which is £35
£385 just to play one game!
> Ridiculous.

Maybe it is, but every console comes with one controller and no memory card. You only get such extras in special packs. Remember the PS1 and the Saturn were the same when they were released - in fact, wasn't the Saturn more than £299?

> Thats not mentioning those silly stands too, make that
> Just over £400.

You don't need a multitap, and you don't need the stands, so that is irrelevant.

> Sony has only produced one game so far
> for the PS2 'that is AAA'- GT3. And thats it.
> They rely too much on Third parties to make a system successful for them.

As long as a system is successful and has decent games, what does it matter? The companies that make 3D accelerators for PC's don't make games. Are they lesser companies because of that? Certainly not.

> The PS2 games so far dont match up to the Sega-Nintendo
> quality that people are so used to. Where are Sony's games????

Again personal opinion. Personally I prefer the types of games that appear on Sony's machines, and I don't care who makes them; that's whyI've stuck with Sony's machines. Should that change, so will my console.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:01
Regular
I have to say i think the DC controller is the most comfortable i've used! I don't know why, maybe my hands are just the right size or something. I know quite a few people who hate it. But not me.

The N64 controller is quite good, but the PS1 is the worst! IT's just too small, the grips aren't very comfortable at all.

While i'm on about controllers, does any one remember a joystick out for the Amiga called the Bug? It looked like a bug, and the two buttons were it's eyes?

Anyone?

No, probably just me then.....
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:59
Regular
Nintendo created the rumble pak to go out with lylat wars ages ago. Must have been back in 1997. And it was probable in development long before that.

And iw ouldnt say the Sony analogue is better. Its position on the pad is very poor and uncomfortable. I just dont like it one bit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.