GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The No1 Console to own now is.........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/05/01 at 00:12
Regular
The Dreamcast!
Sega might be stopping production, but this console really is the one to be playing the top games of today.
Crazy Taxi 2 Sonic ADV 2 etc... I havent seen a Playstation 2 title yet that has Surpassed the Visuals of the DC.
This is someone speaking with years of loyalty to Nintendo too, so I would't call it biased.
Sat 12/05/01 at 10:41
Regular
"I like cheese"
Dan uk wrote:
> Sony really messed up the hardware side of the PS2.
Yes, it IS
> powerful but incredibly difficult to work with, really unreliable
> and that's why when most producers make games, they turn out to be
> not much better than DC ones.

Where'd you get "incredibly difficult" from?? Developers just need to get used to it. In fact, Hideo Kojima and a few other Japanese developers has said it's actually not that hard to work with, it's just that they have to get used to the technology.

What's more they've made really
> expensive to manufacture meaning they actually make a defecit for
> each machine sold (atleast £65).

Lastly, the devellopment
> kits cost around 10,000 each so one company can usually only afford
> to buy one or two of them. That means different devellopment teams
> have share them which makes it inefficient, awkward and stops
> devellopers unleashing their full potential.

Sooner or later,
> Sony is going to end up where the Saturn was. Only a few of the
> biggest companies will still make games for it because other systems
> are easier and cheaper to make games for.

Again, that's bo**ocks. Loads of PS2 games are scheduled for release, and as I've said, developers just need to get used to the machine.

Lucky for you PS2 fans,
> Konami are likely to be one of them.

Yep, and that's good news.

Also, at least it was released on time! And I didn't hear Sony's boss talking about ditching the PS2 if it didn't get a good response. I personally would be more worried about the GC's status at this point.
Sat 12/05/01 at 09:58
Personally, I prefer DC because the games appeal to me more. None of the PS2 games look that great to me. Most of the ones that I've played have really sucked.
Sat 12/05/01 at 09:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mr. Dark wrote:
> Sony messed up with the PS2, but are correcting it as we speak
> (PS2.1) but they have to learn, people will get board soon, they
> have to make sure that they are still in it for the games not the
> money. (which i think they are)

Your a brave man, brining up the PS2.1 topic again...

:)
Sat 12/05/01 at 09:03
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I don't get this, how can the DC be the star buy if it's being put out of production? I know it's cheap but the games are stopping, the internet connection might finish, where will you be?
Sat 12/05/01 at 07:37
Regular
Sony really messed up the hardware side of the PS2.
Yes, it IS powerful but incredibly difficult to work with, really unreliable and that's why when most producers make games, they turn out to be not much better than DC ones.

What's more they've made really expensive to manufacture meaning they actually make a defecit for each machine sold (atleast £65).

Lastly, the devellopment kits cost around 10,000 each so one company can usually only afford to buy one or two of them. That means different devellopment teams have share them which makes it inefficient, awkward and stops devellopers unleashing their full potential.

Sooner or later, Sony is going to end up where the Saturn was. Only a few of the biggest companies will still make games for it because other systems are easier and cheaper to make games for.

Lucky for you PS2 fans, Konomi are likely to be one of them.
Fri 11/05/01 at 22:34
Sony messed up with the PS2, but are correcting it as we speak (PS2.1) but they have to learn, people will get board soon, they have to make sure that they are still in it for the games not the money. (which i think they are)
Fri 11/05/01 at 22:32
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
BE GRATEFUL!!! Sony have produced a fantastic console for the gamers benefit and all you do is go and diss it...what's wrong with you 'eh? You keep saying that the price is too high really for a console, when the Saturn, Ps1 and N64 were all around that price when they were first released. In fact, I dread to think what price the N64 was when it was first released - something like £350 weren't it? Ha! and you say the PS2 is expensive. And what's more...the Playstation's controller was voted the most comfortable! I AGREE!

Please don't say you still admire the Dreamcast. IT IS DEAD OK? Sure it's a good console and all that, but it obviously wasn't good enough for the gaming market hey? What do you mean - "my hands become sore after a while on it", are you some kind of SPASTIC who can't use a perfectly designed controller properly? The Dreamcast is no way the most comfortable controller. And it might as well have a big sticker on the front of it saying: "property of Nintendo/Sony" as it might as well be the way it's designed!
GOODNIGHT, sad pathetic Sega-loving freaks of nature.
Sat 05/05/01 at 14:42
Regular
Ant wrote:

"Also, with the amount of delays the GC is suffering, it may be rolling for a long time before you get to own one!"

Yeah, all two of them. One of which didn't even affect Europe.

Sat 05/05/01 at 14:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
TheMorrigan wrote:
> My point:PROVEN

And The Scart to TV DVD Connection,
> mmmmm.
Thankgod I didnt rely on PS2 for a DVD.
Roll on Gamecube. A
> Games Console.

Hang on a minute, I'm confused.

The PS2 plays games, right?? I have 6, all of which I love. Surely that makes it a games console??

Also, the DVD player is excellent, as I know from personal experience. Surely that's an added bonus??

Also, with the amount of delays the GC is suffering, it may be rolling for a long time before you get to own one!
Sat 05/05/01 at 10:24
"possibly impossible"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Argh! People listen (again!) Different consoles
> are suited to
> different people (or is that the other way
> around?)

What makes you think that? ...

And...

Does that
> mean your against multi-platform games releases... since it will
> mean de-personalisation of the consoles?

:)

Ok. Multi platform releases mean that everyone has the choice of benefitting from what could be a potentially good game, which would normally only be available on one console. The deciding factors in buying a new console are not just the types of game available, although this is a strong consideration, so it's a good thing that more games are becoming cross-platform as it takes this problem away from your platform decision.

The other consideration is 'does the style of console suit me?' This is not just about the asthetics, but the kinesthetics of the console, how it feels to you, and the options available. This could be anything from the type of controller, how the memorycards are used and what style of internet access you can have. I only hope that Sony are intelligent enough to release both a broadband and a 56k modem option for an upgrade, as many people will be left out with the former choice.

To be fair, there is not a single console that I have played that I don't like. However, there are bits about consoles that I would change, and this sorts one from another for me. The playstation is often slow to load games, the laser or motor quickly malfunctions, causing skipping in both games and FMV. It could also have had 4 joypad ports instead of two.

The Dreamcast could have had a faster modem, although the software at the moment can easily cope with the current one. Sega could have worked on increasing the VMU battery life as well, with the GBA working for ages on two AA batteries, surely the VMU could last more than a week!

N64 should have had more fighting games and a wider choice of the more adult games. The games could have also been a lot cheaper, but Nintendo's licencing system is partly to blame for that and has still failed to let in some truly awful games as well as the top quality stuff. The 4mb upgrade should have been included in the console as standard as well.

Playstation 2 suffers from the same lack of joypad ports. While many people don't use this all the time, it's nice to have the option and encourages more games designers to use it in their programming. The games have appeared slowly so far, and although there are some top grade titles out there, they have appeared slowly for a console that has been out this long. I'm not saying that there will not be any good titles, there already are, but I'd like to see more of them before I buy one. For now, I just play on someone elses. DVD playback has been raised by some people too, although I see this as an extra feature that Sony cleverly used to sell the console, and it worked. For something that is secondary to the actual job of the console, it's not bad.

That just focuses on the negative points, all of the above consoles also have many positive points as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.