GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The No1 Console to own now is.........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/05/01 at 00:12
Regular
The Dreamcast!
Sega might be stopping production, but this console really is the one to be playing the top games of today.
Crazy Taxi 2 Sonic ADV 2 etc... I havent seen a Playstation 2 title yet that has Surpassed the Visuals of the DC.
This is someone speaking with years of loyalty to Nintendo too, so I would't call it biased.
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:57
Regular
The Game wrote:
> I am really happy with my Dreamcast.

Thats fair enough. Many people are.

> I think that it seems to have it all.

Except perhaps a long future.

Great games, the console looks great and believe me you
> won't even think about the £100 when you have your Dreamcast
> to play on. It is worth the money and the perfect alternative to a
> Playstation 2. Okay, so the PS2 might have a very good future
> instore for it, what with GT3 and MGS2 coming in the next year, but
> the Dreamcasts past more that makes up for it.

History is not usually that important in the computer world. Do we have a History of Gaming forum?

You have to
> remember that although the DC isn't quite as fast as the PS2 it is
> the perfect bundle. On-line access, which could cost PS2 owners as
> much as £200 to have,

Mentioned below, this is unknown, even to the nearest £100.

> 4 controller ports, double the number of
> the Playstation 2.

There are multi taps, and the PSone never really had too many problems with this.

And from my experiences qucker loading times than
> PS2 games (RRV Vs MSR)

Yes but you are comparing a late release on DC, and the best racer it has, against an early PS2 release which is merely middle of the range.

The DC is the best all-round gaming
> console I have ever played on or even seen. The games are amazing,
> the loading times are almost non-existant. People say loading times
> are a flaw for Disc-based consoles...i think not. The DC loads most
> games in about 10-15 seconds, that is nothing when you're talking
> and laughing around with your mates.

The loading times will be no different to PS2s in most games. Also, I`m glad the games are good, but that does not mean the PS2s aren`t.

If you do want a Next-Gen
> console but don't want to wait for the Gamecube get a Dreamcast.

Why dismiss the fastest selling console, the PS2? It broke records. It is immensely popular. Sony have a better track record than Nintendo and Sega in the gaming world (admittedly partly due to the small number of consoles).

You
> may have heard loads of people go on about how the DC just isn't
> good enough...poppycock! Absolute rubbish, they might not have any
> EA games but with games like Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Sonic 1 and 2, and
> the almost limitless RPG's (PSO, ...Enough Said) The Dreamcast
> doesn't dissapoint.

There are certainly good titles, but they will soon be surpassed. SSX shows the PS2 can produce the gameplay. ZOE shows the PS2 has the best looks. The two together are not far off.

PS2 really is too expensive for a lot of
> people. You have the console at £300

Most new consoles are expensive. The DC is only cheap because it is old, and Sega desperately want a larger user base.

> at least one more padv £20

Most consoles will need that.

, Multi-Tap if you want 3-4 players £30 plus two more
> pads at £40 already you have another £100 or so on your
> plate and you haven't even got any games yet!

Yes but all consoles will have this same problem in terms of numbers of controllers. As for the multi tap, its only £20.

Okay so it takes time
> to build your gaming library, but you can get a Dreamcast for the
> price it takes PS2 owners to get 4-Players on their PS2. And you can
> have a DC, 4 Pads, 4 VMU's and one or maybe two top games to go with
> Sonic to really get you going. and that is all for the price of a
> PS2 console alone!

Yeah but you can get a MegaDrive with about 50 games for about £10 these days, and many of those games had great playability (Sub in SNES if you wish) but does that justify it being the best buy? No.

It makes sense to buy a Dreamcast...you need
> to think differently, iMacs are great but I am talking about
> Dreamcasts, they are the all-in-one wonder machine, they look great,
> feel great and play great. What more could you want from a console?

More power, a longer future. The extra PC like qualities such as hard drive that is coming to PS2.

> You don't need to take out a bankloan to buy one, and with games now
> with a new RRP of £30 you can't lose!

You can in the long term though, but I do agree to a certain extent.

If you have you're
> heart set on a PS2 then fine. But for anyone, and I mean anyone, who
> is umming and arring, take another look at the Dreamcast, borrow one
> from a mate for a week, it is the closes thing that you'll get to
> true gaming that's not from Nintendo.

That is not true.
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:54
He is the game, and he knows how to write, (just don't do anything good because i want my onw to win so i can have my first ever game-a-day (for 2 reasons) 1. to make it 1 - 2 between me and dringo, also to prove to my self i have luck/ can win stuff. All i have won in my life is a cake, a bottle of wine, 10 pounds on the lottery (my mum gave me a ticket on my birthday) and thats it. I have no luck! Not trying to get a shyipty vote, just telling my life luck story (that makes 2 today! (storyies))
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:46
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
not really, im 14.

there harder to finish than you think!
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:44
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I am really happy with my Dreamcast. I think that it seems to have it all. Great games, the console looks great and believe me you won't even think about the £100 when you have your Dreamcast to play on. It is worth the money and the perfect alternative to a Playstation 2. Okay, so the PS2 might have a very good future instore for it, what with GT3 and MGS2 coming in the next year, but the Dreamcasts past more that makes up for it.

You have to remember that although the DC isn't quite as fast as the PS2 it is the perfect bundle. On-line access, which could cost PS2 owners as much as £200 to have, 4 controller ports, double the number of the Playstation 2. And from my experiences qucker loading times than PS2 games (RRV Vs MSR)

The DC is the best all-round gaming console I have ever played on or even seen. The games are amazing, the loading times are almost non-existant. People say loading times are a flaw for Disc-based consoles...i think not. The DC loads most games in about 10-15 seconds, that is nothing when you're talking and laughing around with your mates.

If you do want a Next-Gen console but don't want to wait for the Gamecube get a Dreamcast. You may have heard loads of people go on about how the DC just isn't good enough...poppycock! Absolute rubbish, they might not have any EA games but with games like Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Sonic 1 and 2, and the almost limitless RPG's (PSO, ...Enough Said) The Dreamcast doesn't dissapoint.

PS2 really is too expensive for a lot of people. You have the console at £300 at least one more pad £20, Multi-Tap if you want 3-4 players £30 plus two more pads at £40 already you have another £100 or so on your plate and you haven't even got any games yet! Okay so it takes time to build your gaming library, but you can get a Dreamcast for the price it takes PS2 owners to get 4-Players on their PS2. And you can have a DC, 4 Pads, 4 VMU's and one or maybe two top games to go with Sonic to really get you going. and that is all for the price of a PS2 console alone!

It makes sense to buy a Dreamcast...you need to think differently, iMacs are great but I am talking about Dreamcasts, they are the all-in-one wonder machine, they look great, feel great and play great. What more could you want from a console? You don't need to take out a bankloan to buy one, and with games now with a new RRP of £30 you can't lose!

If you have you're heart set on a PS2 then fine. But for anyone, and I mean anyone, who is umming and arring, take another look at the Dreamcast, borrow one from a mate for a week, it is the closes thing that you'll get to true gaming that's not from Nintendo.

Game
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:42
Regular
I am now assuming you are quite young, yes?
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:35
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Chickin and mushroom of course!

I managed to finish a king pot noodle on sunday, of wich im proud.

Don't worry, big dave helped me! :)
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:28
Regular
What is your "flavourite" pot noodle mantis?

Mine`s Hot Chicken Curry, though good old Chicken and mushroom is good too.
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:27
ssxpro wrote:
> £200 for a modem. Why is it that nobody else (probably not
> even Sony) know this?

It's a possible estimate for the price of the PS2 modem (or hard drive, not sure which one).
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
true, the DC rocks.

i should know, i've got one!
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:25
Regular
£200 for a modem. Why is it that nobody else (probably not even Sony) know this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.