GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The No1 Console to own now is.........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/05/01 at 00:12
Regular
The Dreamcast!
Sega might be stopping production, but this console really is the one to be playing the top games of today.
Crazy Taxi 2 Sonic ADV 2 etc... I havent seen a Playstation 2 title yet that has Surpassed the Visuals of the DC.
This is someone speaking with years of loyalty to Nintendo too, so I would't call it biased.
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:57
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
My point:PROVEN

And The Scart to TV DVD Connection, mmmmm.
Thankgod I didnt rely on PS2 for a DVD.
Roll on Gamecube. A Games Console.
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:50
Regular
TheMorrigan wrote:
> SSX Pro, have you anything Bad to say about Playstation or
> Playstation2?

Yes. Only one thing though. The lip sync on some of my older DVDs can be a little poor sometimes, but this is easily sorted by pausing for a few seconds and restarting.

This is actually handy if you want a quick break anyway, so I don`t mind. Besides, with DVD of that quality included, I`m not too bothered at all.
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:48
Regular
TheMorrigan wrote:
The PS2 isnt
> all what it was hyped up to be, you cant ignore that.

I like your explanation of why. Short and non-existant.

Plus Sony
> wouldn't be where they are today without Nintendo and their
> excellence in the market, would they?
The Playstation was created
> as a joint adventure between Nintendo and Sony as a Super Nes
> add-on, then Nintendo backed out, Sony got cocky and released the
> machine as a stand alone console which harnassed all the ideas from
> Nintendo that went into the system from the early Sony/Nintendo
> alliance.

Probably sensible by Sony. Nintendo with their "great ideas" made the N64, where as Sony got the PSone. I think most know which was more popular.

Then Nintendo come up with great
> ideas such as the Rumble Pak, Sony followed suit with their Dual
> Shock.

That is unfair to say it was Nintendo`s idea. Both had probably been in developement simultaneously. Besides all peripherals follow the same patterns across the consoles.

They Pioneered the use of the Anologue Stick, again Sony
> followed suit.

With a better version.

It is only now that with the PS2, Sony has went all
> alone.

They has went alone huh?

Its their FIRST time creating a Games console ALONE.
And of
> course it isnt what it was hyped up to be.
£300 for JUST a
> PS2, one joypad, no mem card.
£30 for a Mem card, you need
> them!, £20 for a Multitap, Then youve to get a game worth
> buying- which is £35
£385 just to play one game!
> Ridiculous.

But it happens with all new consoles, (and I was beginning to think you knew your history).

Thats not mentioning those silly stands too, make that
> Just over £400.

If you can`t add up, and consistently pick the expensive prices (as all those arguing against the PS2 do)

Ill only get a PS2 when they start coming
> down in price, You see I really do want to savour the supposed
> delights of MGS2 and GT3.

I know, and I understand that. The price will drop as with all consoles.

Sony has only produced one game so far
> for the PS2 'that is AAA'- GT3. And thats it.

So what? Its new. Again, I thought you knew your history.

They rely too much on
> Third parties to make a system successful for them.

It worked the first time.

The PS2 games
> so far dont match up to the Sega-Nintendo quality that people are so
> used to.

In your opinion. I personally don`t believe it. I have an N64 with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I also have Zelda. However, I prefer my PS anyday, and now it has become the PS2.

Where are Sony's games????

Try shops. Mail order companies such as this one, and of course, PS2 owning households :-)
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:39
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
SSX Pro, have you anything Bad to say about Playstation or Playstation2?
Well I have.
It seems from most of your comments that your all praise for Sony and its new hatchling.
The PS2 isnt all what it was hyped up to be, you cant ignore that.
Plus Sony wouldn't be where they are today without Nintendo and their excellence in the market, would they?
The Playstation was created as a joint adventure between Nintendo and Sony as a Super Nes add-on, then Nintendo backed out, Sony got cocky and released the machine as a stand alone console which harnassed all the ideas from Nintendo that went into the system from the early Sony/Nintendo alliance.
They released the PS.
Then Nintendo come up with great ideas such as the Rumble Pak, Sony followed suit with their Dual Shock.
They Pioneered the use of the Anologue Stick, again Sony followed suit.
It is only now that with the PS2, Sony has went all alone.
Its their FIRST time creating a Games console ALONE.
And of course it isnt what it was hyped up to be.
£300 for JUST a PS2, one joypad, no mem card.
£30 for a Mem card, you need them!, £20 for a Multitap, Then youve to get a game worth buying- which is £35
£385 just to play one game! Ridiculous.
Thats not mentioning those silly stands too, make that Just over £400.
Ill only get a PS2 when they start coming down in price, You see I really do want to savour the supposed delights of MGS2 and GT3.

Sony has only produced one game so far for the PS2 'that is AAA'- GT3. And thats it.
They rely too much on Third parties to make a system successful for them.
The PS2 games so far dont match up to the Sega-Nintendo quality that people are so used to.
Where are Sony's games????
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:39
Regular
The Game wrote:
When? You
> might have you're hard-drive in say 2003, and internet access a year
> earlier, by which time Nintendo definitely and dare I say it
> Microsoft will have Sont on their Knees!

Internet is said to be at the end of this year now. With Sega Namce and Sony kicking it off in the arcades for a bit, and then before the end of the year, in the household. I thought the hard drive was with it, but I`ll have to check.

Microsoft do seem to be
> doing something right, they have got a lot of support, but if the
> Japs don't like it, you can take the hard-drive, advenced Matrix
> game...and start to cry, because it's just cost you about$400
> compared to the Gamecubes £200.

When you convert from the two currencies there isn`t so much difference, especially with the hard drive.

PS2 won't even be
> a factor in 3-4 years time!

I suppose the PSone probably received that comment from you initially as well.
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:36
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
ssxpro wrote:

More power, a longer future. The extra PC like qualities such as hard drive that is coming to PS2.

When? You might have you're hard-drive in say 2003, and internet access a year earlier, by which time Nintendo definitely and dare I say it Microsoft will have Sont on their Knees!

Microsoft do seem to be doing something right, they have got a lot of support, but if the Japs don't like it, you can take the hard-drive, advenced Matrix game...and start to cry, because it's just cost you about$400 compared to the Gamecubes £200.

I really don't see how MS thought that they could sell a MS X-Box for near enough £400/£350 for it to compete with the Nintendo, well-known company, Gamecube at almost half the price, parents see a new mario for Christmas, Only $200 Deal, they'll sell like hot-cakes, parents see a black box the size of a VCR for $350-$400 they laugh and go back to the Nintendo section.

PS2 won't even be a factor in 3-4 years time!
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:12
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
i won the PSX years ago in the local paper and i won the controller from sendin in a review to DC magasizne!
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
mmmmm GC
Thu 03/05/01 at 22:10
Mantis wrote:
> i won a playstation+jurrasic park(i kid you not) and i won a dc
> controller but it hasn't arrived yet!

From where?
Thu 03/05/01 at 21:59
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
i won a playstation+jurrasic park(i kid you not) and i won a dc controller but it hasn't arrived yet!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.