GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/04/04 at 10:21
Regular
Anyone see this last night?

I've been meaning to see it for ages but never got the chance, luckily it was shown on C4 last night, and I have to say it's amazing. The subtitles didn't bother me at all, if anything improved the film as I really don't think dubbed American accents would do it much good.

Fight scenes were brilliant, up there with the best of them, without being dragged out to point of severe boredom *cough*Reloaded*cough*. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen.

In contrast, afterwards I saw Mr. Nice Guy, one of the worst films I've ever seen. How is it possible to use so much slow motion and blurring effects?
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:46
Regular
Not saying Gladiator's a bad film. I think it's superb. You can't really say the characters are 1 dimensional in CTHD. You've got forbidden love between Li Mu Bai & Shu Lien, doomed love between Jen & Lo, the almost maternal relationship between Jade Fox & Jen, the sidestory of Bo and that policeman's daughter, and then there's all the baggage Jen works through during the film, going from spoilt rich kid to realising the consequences of her actions at the end.

And the fight scenes aren't ridiculous. They're superbly choreographed and balletic. There's a difference. Go watch Jackie Chan jump off things while gurning in Rush Hour, you'll like that.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:53
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> Correct, that's what I wrote. Good use of the quote button. Top marks
> for mouse clicking.

right. look it worked again? what was that all about?

oh an i am not a huge fan of most martial arts film including jackie chan. I love epics they are my favorite films, unfortunately i wouldnd count CTHD amongst the classics. They are mausing but pretty much instantly forgettable.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:56
Regular
Er, when it appeared on my screen, it looked as through you'd replied quoting and then not added anything to the message. Then you edited it, so it looks foolish out of context. My humblest apologies. Now go watch Rush Hour.
Tue 06/04/04 at 18:00
Regular
sorry bout that. and i don't like rush hour, and i don't like dodgy unjustly hyped films.
Tue 06/04/04 at 18:06
Regular
Dodgy unjustly hyped films?

Sigh..

On second thoughts, Rush Hour might be too highbrow for you.
Tue 06/04/04 at 18:12
Regular
Crouching Tiger was beautifully made; the essence and serenity of the mind of a warrior being mirrored by the cinematography. I enjoyed the discipline and philosophy that through the art of fighting, the body can be freed, allowing it to push the boundaries of reality. The fight scenes were brilliantly choreographed, though not especially exhilirating, and the ending tied the whole film off in a superbly satisfying and symbolic way.

However, the faults are easily apparent. The story had good potential, yet it was told in such a dull way - mostly through the characters sitting down and talking. Something, I feel, is highlighted by the fact that the film is in subtitles. Likewise, I did not at one point feel the honour, importance or sense of purpose the warriors seemingly had as they struggled to retrieve the "green destiny". It just wasn't conveyed. Furthermore, the relationships were really quite wooden and average.

Well, that's my personal synopsis. It's by no means a bad film - certainly above average, but I'm not saying it's that good either. Oh, and Gladiator? Better by far.
Tue 06/04/04 at 18:23
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> Dodgy unjustly hyped films?
>
> Sigh..
>
> On second thoughts, Rush Hour might be too highbrow for you.

so because i don't like CTHD means i immediately have retarded taste in films, i think now.
Tue 06/04/04 at 19:38
"period drama"
Damn, forgot to see it.
I've got it on tape - but it's a dubbed version, where one name sounds exactly the same as 5 others - so I understood feck all of the story.

Still, swords and shiznit - bloody fantastic.
I may go and watch it again - but vroom past all the talkie bits. Or perhaps try to tell the difference.

And the girl and her mother look almost exactly the same.
Thought they were the same person for most of the film.

Tutututut, foolish child.
Tue 06/04/04 at 21:29
Regular
"Anyone Got A Pizza"
I hated it
I thought It was poorly acted tripe
Tue 06/04/04 at 22:39
Regular
Well, it's good to have opinions. Except in this case when you're clearly wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.