GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/04/04 at 10:21
Regular
Anyone see this last night?

I've been meaning to see it for ages but never got the chance, luckily it was shown on C4 last night, and I have to say it's amazing. The subtitles didn't bother me at all, if anything improved the film as I really don't think dubbed American accents would do it much good.

Fight scenes were brilliant, up there with the best of them, without being dragged out to point of severe boredom *cough*Reloaded*cough*. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen.

In contrast, afterwards I saw Mr. Nice Guy, one of the worst films I've ever seen. How is it possible to use so much slow motion and blurring effects?
Mon 05/04/04 at 20:37
Regular
"~a Libertine~"
Ohhh Romeo must die..

It really sucks (bar perhaps one or two truly excellent fighting scenes)

But each to their own
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:28
Regular
"accidental superher"
hero is overloaded with symbolism and over the top cinematography which sorta bogs down the film a bit. beautifully shot...no doubt about it.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:30
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Electrum wrote:
> Ohhh Romeo must die..
>
> It really sucks (bar perhaps one or two truly excellent fighting
> scenes)

Um, no.
Tue 06/04/04 at 00:08
Regular
Am I the only one who thought that the whole thing was great?

I didn't really care about the dubbing (saw it on sky AGES ago) and enjoyed it for what it was.
Sure, the moves, the flying, it was hardly realistic but that wasn't the point.

It was so graceful, and sort of meaningful...

I wish I'd known it was the subtitled version they were showing, I;d have watched it then.

By the by, when's this "Hero" film coming out? [Edit: Hehe. Stryke already answered this one. He's seen it too the impatient import addict! :-P]

Goaty mentioned it a while back, being Jet Li but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style with colour co-ordination?
Tue 06/04/04 at 11:56
Regular
Yeah, I got bored waiting for Hero. It's better than CTHD, believe me. There's this one scene which is described as a "water ballet". It's beautiful, much like the treetop scene in CTHD. Speaking of which, Zhang Zhiyi (sp?) is in Hero as well, playing Moon.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:08
Regular
"not dead"
You guys crack me up.

Over the top flying? It's a film for christ's sake, suspend your disbelief.

Personally, I thought it was pretty good, though I felt the scenes in the desert with her blokey went on a bit long, but perhaps that's because I was looking forward to getting back to the other characters.

And I thought the girl was a bit of a spoilt brat, stealing things for fun and showing little respect to others. That said, it didn't detract from the movie, and made her character interesting.

I thought that the fight scenes were impressive. Moreso the hand-to-hand stuff than the weapons.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:13
Regular
A lot of the Chinese people I talk really didnt like this movie at all and the jumping and flying on wires looks pretty bad when compared to other films and tv series in Hong Kong and mainland China. It's a nice film still although it could have been a lot better.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:25
Regular
Wirework seemed pretty flawless to me. CTHD is a brilliant film. IMO, it should've got Best Film ahead of Gladiator. It's just brilliantly put together and I'm torn to choose between it, Hero & Lost in Translation for the most beautiful film I've seem.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:32
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> Wirework seemed pretty flawless to me. CTHD is a brilliant film. IMO,
> it should've got Best Film ahead of Gladiator.

much prefered gladiator it was interesting from start to finish, with briliant locations and more interesting characters.

CTHD doesn't really develop the characters at all, they just feel 1 dimensional, it was a potentially good story, told in a boring way, the well acted yet ridiculous fight scenes were a let down to.
Tue 06/04/04 at 17:39
Regular
Correct, that's what I wrote. Good use of the quote button. Top marks for mouse clicking.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.