GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just as I thought everything was going alright."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/01/04 at 17:57
Regular
Why is it, that when you turn 16 everything goes wrong? Normally i'm a relativly happy guy, without too many problems to bother about. But suddenly after turning 16 last June, they hit one after another, like losing my girlfriend, and today just topped it off.

Firstly, College. I chose to go to college after succesfully gaining 5 C's in my GCSE's, the first few week's we're fun, interesting and everything seemed great. It was like so laid back and seemed a "doss" and a place to just "mess around with yer mates". Unfortunatly this has made an effect on me, making me lazy and not giving a monkey about the work that has to be done. Currently i'm behind with all of my coursework, i'm meant to be doing it at home but I seriously have no motivation to do it.

Basically I just cannot be arrsed, I even miss lessons once or twice a week because I can't be bothered to get out of bed. We've got A/S exams in 4 days and I probably won't revise for it, I want to do well and everything but this student lifestyle has changed me into a bed-dwelling lazy person. I just dunno what to do, maybe its because i'm too much of a spaz to go to Uni, giving me no reason to go to college. University's will never accept me because the course I want to go into will only let people with A2 Advanced Maths grades in. They don't want no media student with a geography and computing grade.

*sigh*

I even considered dropping out the other day, but something makes me want to hold on.

Secondly, today at work I received a letter from one of my managers, I opened it only to find that i'd been given a formal warning. Apparently last sunday my till was found to be £10 over what was expected, meaning that I, or some collegue that used my till shortchanged a customer. The letter states that if it happens again I will get the sack straight away without question. I only started working there 3 months ago, I went into work this morning feeling cheerful, I was really getting to know everyone there and work seemed enjoyable. Its only when managers are put into the picture everything turns sour.

Why am I telling you people this? I just needed a space to write out problems and it just seems easier to explain it to people you'll never meet. I never tell my parents/family anything, so this just seemed an easier option..

Muh
Mon 12/01/04 at 12:47
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Good that you're trying, and good that you went to your lesson!

Computer science is such a cool subject to know, you can earn such good money, and it will give you the edge with the ladies!

So think about that every time you don't feel like doing something, and think about what you enjoy about the course, and what you will enjoy in your job.

If you need some motivation, or need to discuss something in one of your courses that you're stuck on, or whatever, just shout! (well type!)

Is there another subject that you would really enjoy doing but don't want to cos you think it isn't beneficial to your career but that you could maybe do on the side at uni, just to keep your interest?

Well, keep us updated on what course you will do and what your uni options are, you're so lucky, off to uni for 3 years of crazyness!
Mon 12/01/04 at 12:43
Regular
"That's right!"
At college I'm lazy as heck, I'm rarely in and I don't do the work.

Funnily enough, at work I'm the complete opposite. Always work hard, do my best, in every day, never off "sick" and sometimes I'm even polite to the people I have to phone.

I start work again today. In a couple of hours... It's an induction day (I guess) but since I did the exact same job at the exact same place this time last year, I bet I have to watch all the same crappy videos and sit through all the same boring talks. Then stand up in front of about 70 people and tell them a little bit about myself. Woo. Can't wait.
Mon 12/01/04 at 12:35
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Motivating yourself to do something you don't want to do is never an easy thing, but this, really, is something you HAVE to do (unless you want to spend the rest of your life working in McDonalds or something...).

If you're holding on to these "bad things" from the past, they're not gonna help. They may hurt, and may be hard to forget, but, for now, you need to just "let go" so you can get-up and get-on with what needs to be done in your life, RIGHT NOW.

If it's something you have to do because you know it'll help you out with what you WANT to do later on, you just need to give yourself a big kick up the backside - now! Otherwise, these problems will only get bigger...

Don't dwell on the past. What happened then cannot be changed now - or, infact, ever. You just need to move-on and forget.

Life goes on, and so should you.

If you can't get on with your college-work, YOU won't get-on in life!

Believe me; A/S and A-Levels aren't really that bad a thing. They seem tough at first, but if you want to do them, and you're in a good frame of mind, you CAN do them.

I got through my A/S year alright, but dropped-out late-on because of how unhappy I was doing it. I realised that what I was doing wasn't really going to help me later in life, and that I was just "wasting my time" doing them (even though, really, I knew I wasn't...).
It was a change of vision for me, basically. I was set to go in one career-direction, when, the truth is, I didn't neccesarily `want“ to go that way; it was only the "easy option".

And now, after realising some things, I'm at college doing something I WANT to do.

You just need to realise what's important to you for your future, and to get on-track with it right-away.

Good luck. :)
Mon 12/01/04 at 12:05
Thought I'd never have to visit the site again, but:

ucas.com

All the advice and courses you need here.
Mon 12/01/04 at 11:57
Regular
Kat wrote:
> So you want to do a media course at uni?

I want to do computer science, or something that involves computing.

> What sort of job do you think you'd like to do?

Probably something involving computers, its my main interest.

> Maybe if you spoke to someone who had an interest in your
> course

I spoke to my computing teacher today, and he said there are other courses other then computer science, like Computer Systems or something, which has cheered me up a little.

And thanks guys, I think some replys from person's has put me into perspective on issues, maybe a little revision won't hurt and I did turn up for my lesson this morning, and i'll try not to scive lessons too much.

I'm probably dwelling on the problem more then thinking of the solution, I might even just drop one subject next year, such as Product Design which is mainly the subject that is getting me down because of the huge amounts of coursework.
Mon 12/01/04 at 11:01
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
I went through the exact same thing at college, I moved out of home into my own place, so it was easier to lie in bed, or go home early without my parents being there to shout at me, also I was sick of not having any money due to paying rent, so I did my mock exams, stuck it out for about another 2 months, and then left to get a job. Now I am having to do an open university course, leaving me with no time to do anything but work and study, and I am SO gutted that I missed out on the whole social aspect of uni. I do care more now about learning, which helps a lot, but I will be 30 when I get my degree, so it will be hard to get a job when I'm in competition with people of the same age who have PHDs, or people younger, with the same qualifications. So don't make the same mistake, cos you will regret it. Just try to allocate a certain amount of time for studying, and make yourself go into lessons whether you want to or not, cos life will be a lot harder for you after if you don't. You might as well get the hard bit out the way! I hear uni is like playgroup after doing a-levels, so if you can get a good enough grade to get into a uni then just do whatever you have to do (hardcore revision at the last minute) to pass and get to uni, and once you get there you will love it. What unis are good for the course you want to do?

So you want to do a media course at uni? What sort of job do you think you'd like to do, and is there anything else that interests you? Maybe if you spoke to someone who had an interest in your course, it would get you actively thinking about the subject and raise your interest.

Oh, and about the bird, don't worry, there are plenty more girls out there, in a few months you'll probably have your eye on someone else and will wonder what you ever saw in her!
Mon 12/01/04 at 10:26
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Hmm, motivation....

Like working at Wickes? No? Well unless you get your act together and at least get some decent A Levels you could be settling into a long career there. Even if the grades you think you will get are not what you need for a certain course, have a look around for similar courses and be prepared to compromise a little. It is better to try and fail than to never try, which although a cliche, I believe is true.
Mon 12/01/04 at 02:02
Regular
Life for a fact no matter what IS not perfect..
Mon 12/01/04 at 01:09
Oh, another tip is to get out of bed early, plan what you're going to do for the day (say concentrate on revising subject A, do the gardening, another task) and DO THEM. Don't bother saying finish a task, because unless it's a small one, it probably won't be done and chances are you'll waste time the next day, or like I do, up at night trying to finish it when you should be sleeping. Which could in turn be a good excuse for a sleep-in the next day.
Mon 12/01/04 at 01:04
It's the idea of failure that gets to me; can you really afford to waste your one chance (or two, if you're still on A Levels) in life on something that you won't be proud of in 10/20 years time? And do you really want your friends and family to remember you as that potentially bright person who just spent his life not making use of time and reflecting on what could have been? That's what I'm thinking.

Except for this moment, when I'm wasting time writing this. D'oh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.