GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just as I thought everything was going alright."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/01/04 at 17:57
Regular
Why is it, that when you turn 16 everything goes wrong? Normally i'm a relativly happy guy, without too many problems to bother about. But suddenly after turning 16 last June, they hit one after another, like losing my girlfriend, and today just topped it off.

Firstly, College. I chose to go to college after succesfully gaining 5 C's in my GCSE's, the first few week's we're fun, interesting and everything seemed great. It was like so laid back and seemed a "doss" and a place to just "mess around with yer mates". Unfortunatly this has made an effect on me, making me lazy and not giving a monkey about the work that has to be done. Currently i'm behind with all of my coursework, i'm meant to be doing it at home but I seriously have no motivation to do it.

Basically I just cannot be arrsed, I even miss lessons once or twice a week because I can't be bothered to get out of bed. We've got A/S exams in 4 days and I probably won't revise for it, I want to do well and everything but this student lifestyle has changed me into a bed-dwelling lazy person. I just dunno what to do, maybe its because i'm too much of a spaz to go to Uni, giving me no reason to go to college. University's will never accept me because the course I want to go into will only let people with A2 Advanced Maths grades in. They don't want no media student with a geography and computing grade.

*sigh*

I even considered dropping out the other day, but something makes me want to hold on.

Secondly, today at work I received a letter from one of my managers, I opened it only to find that i'd been given a formal warning. Apparently last sunday my till was found to be £10 over what was expected, meaning that I, or some collegue that used my till shortchanged a customer. The letter states that if it happens again I will get the sack straight away without question. I only started working there 3 months ago, I went into work this morning feeling cheerful, I was really getting to know everyone there and work seemed enjoyable. Its only when managers are put into the picture everything turns sour.

Why am I telling you people this? I just needed a space to write out problems and it just seems easier to explain it to people you'll never meet. I never tell my parents/family anything, so this just seemed an easier option..

Muh
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:36
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The reason girls get screwed over so many times, is because they go for guys like that to start with.

Just a changing form of superficiality, eh? :)
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:33
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Icarus wrote:
> Oh good. So all I have to do is wait for over half a decade before the
> opposite sex finally decides that I'm not so bad after all? Sheesh.

No, girls will still like you, but for different shallow reasons!

I'm only joking, if you're a nice guy, and not horrifically unattractive then girls will fancy you, then we get screwed over so many times, that we start to look at superficial things like career, chest size and how good they are at certain things (if you know what I mean!)
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:28
Oh good. So all I have to do is wait for over half a decade before the opposite sex finally decides that I'm not so bad after all? Sheesh.
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:26
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Icarus wrote:
>
> Good money? That's what everyboody thinks, but my brother graduated
> from uni and started off earning £16k; hardly that big a leap
> upwards from any graduate with a mickey mouse degree.

Yeah, of course you will start off on a low wage. If you do a Marketing or Biology degree (for example) you will have to start on something like £12k, but once you've been in the job for a few years the money starts to drastically increase (if you're good, of course). It's the type of job that you can work part time, or contract for and still earn excellent money. Companies are desperate for people with that know-how. I work in Marketing, and everybody but myself and one other person has a degree, and the difference in wages between us, is huge. It makes a difference of at least £10k with about 3/4 years working experience.
>
> It will NOT give you the edge with ladies; but it is cool to know.

Well it would give you the edge with most girls I know (the ones with brains)!!! As much as we don't like to admit it, when you hit 25 you do care what somebody does for a living (apparently it's all down to our maternal instincts - we choose somebody that will be able to support our child well, without actually realising it, so there, it's not our fault!)
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:23
Wow. And if you compare that with four years of hard work, slogging away at code nearly all day... followed by a year long job search (in my brother's case), uni isn't really all that, eh?
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:21
Regular
"That's right!"
Inland Revenue (boo! hiss!) dealing with New Tax Credits (that big mess the government is in)

The employment process was a joke - no tests to check your computer skills, no simple problem solving to make sure you're not a complete moron, no qualifications needed at all. They had some people in who didn't even know what a mouse was. And these people went on to work with computers, helping people get their money (quite an important task) for months!

Worrying.

First job interview I went to I had to do all sorts of tests (common sense ones mostly) I got the job, but couldn't do the training because of college. This job, I just walked in and they gave me it. Marvelous.
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:17
Where do you work?
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:15
Regular
"That's right!"
16 grand after graduating? Wow. I earn 12 grand a year and my job requires no qualifications and no *real* training. Of course, he can work his way up and get better pay.
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:05
Kat wrote:

> Computer science is such a cool subject to know, you can earn such
> good money, and it will give you the edge with the ladies!

Good money? That's what everyboody thinks, but my brother graduated from uni and started off earning £16k; hardly that big a leap upwards from any graduate with a mickey mouse degree.

It will NOT give you the edge with ladies; but it is cool to know.
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:04
Regular
"gsybe you!"
College and 6th form are easy, once you realise you will be more successful than someone who drops out.

Probably.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.