GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Office Christmas Special. - Part 2."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/12/03 at 22:45
"slightlyshortertagl"
Perfect.
Sun 28/12/03 at 15:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
The ending was just spot on.

"You got everything you need? Great, cheers."

I've always felt sorry for Brent through both series, I despised the act but occassionally you saw glimpses of brent realising what a fool he is and regretting it and although I thought they'd go for an ending with Brent being made more an outlandish prat, I was hoping it'd work out for him. And it did. Everyone in our room went "Yessss" when Dawn walked back in too :-).
Sun 28/12/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I just watched it again

We had a big cheer in our living room when Dawn walked back in and kissed Tim.

" Shall we put one in just to show your not prejudice? "

" Who got me this? I asked for vouchers "
Sun 28/12/03 at 14:38
Regular
It was the comment in the credits that really did it for Brent, I think. No Dolly Parton type comment, just "We done? Cheers". I liked it.
Sun 28/12/03 at 14:31
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I was working and so taped it, watching it at the moment.

His reaction when seeing the woman in the white scarf was cracking.
Sun 28/12/03 at 13:25
"slightlyshortertagl"
Goatboy wrote:
> They just need to realise this and not destroy it with another
> series, then another special etc like Only Fools & Horses has
> done.

One more... possibly, but that would be pushing it...

:-/
Sun 28/12/03 at 13:25
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, that's what I realised from watching it last night - they "matured" Brent, so even if they wanted to, they couldn't make a new series because his character is effectively gone. And I liked the way he stood up to Finchy and Neil, even though they're both bigger than him.
Sun 28/12/03 at 13:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
kittworld wrote:
You could see David growing up in the episode.
--

That's exactly it I think, the reason I loved the final episode.
Brent starts to realise what he's been like. I think you can see it from the 1st special, when he's had the drink thrown on him and he tears at his shirt and just stands there looking at the floor.
He's so proud and puffed up when he walks past Neil & Finchy with his date, yet he doesn't say anything or make some crass comment - which I was expecting. Just an "Up yours" look and leaves it at that. I think he's really trying to impress her and realising he can't just do his Brent routine because he'll screw it up.

Watched it again this morning and it's fantastic.
I wasn't sure if they'd give us a happy ending for Dawn & Tim, and was half thinking "Nah, you can't really because that would be so cliche" and expected some big speech from Tim for her not to go.
But just Dawn walking back in and grabbing him, finally kissing him and them just walking out hand in hand was brilliant. Understated and perfect.

And it's nice to see Brent finally with dignity after 2 series of relentless humiliation and cringing.
I think the his whole character transformation is summed up in that "Chris, why don't you #### off?" line. He's realised how juvenile and crass he has been and doesn't want that anymore, and won't take Finchy's nob-jokes at a woman he's really taken with.
You see him standing up and acting responsibly and adult for once.

Gervais & Merchant's writing has been 100% spot-on throughout the series. Almost photo-realistic depictions of average lives, just tweaked slightly to give it an edge of pain.
They deserve plaudits for keeping it low-key and not turning into back-slapping, self-congratulatory egotripping.
I know the dance from series 2 won the awards, but think of the number of moments from both series that we've quoted and talked about here, it's almost too numerous to mention.
A mix of eye-covering, teeth-itching embarassment and outright, laugh-by-yourself funny that's had me coughing afterwards and wiping my eyes.

The Office.
I think it'll rank up there with the classics like Hancock, Fawlty Towers, Steptoe & Son etc.

They just need to realise this and not destroy it with another series, then another special etc like Only Fools & Horses has done.
Sun 28/12/03 at 12:44
"slightlyshortertagl"
SHEEPY wrote:
> I had to crawl right up to the TV though so I never missed anything,
> it was just so good.

Subtitles :-D`
Sun 28/12/03 at 12:40
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Absolutely briliant

I had all my friends over, half of them hate it but said they liked it.

I had to crawl right up to the TV though so I never missed anything, it was just so good.

Ahhhhh
Sun 28/12/03 at 11:42
Regular
"SOUP!"
I thought it was excellently done and wasn't like the last one because they had run out of ideas and had to tie it up - there are so many possibilities still left within the show but instead of milking it for all it is worth they finished it whilst keeping us wanting more still. It was nicely rounded up with David finally meeting a woman who doesn't think he is a git, Dawn finally leaving the cleaner for Tim (don't pretend like you weren't touched by the "never give up"), Neil acting like a tart all the way through (Would have been good if David has smacked him), the constant gay jokes to Gareth.

I have to say my favourite bit was where David is waiting for his date and the fat woman comes and asks if someone is inside and he takes a big sigh of releif and says "Phew, I thought you were my date then"

Anyway, perfectly done, glad I taped it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.