GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My return of the king review (may contain spoliers)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/12/03 at 14:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well, i have to say that this was a marvellously entertaining film, i held off going for a pee until my hands went numb, but i still felt a little let down.

This film is by far the most removed from the book, and i think the spirit of the film suffers for it. Having Sam leave Frodo seemed to add an unneccesary complexity to the tale, and as for Gollum trying to poison Frodo against Sam i thought it a bit pointless.

But still, the battles are incredible, almost rousing me out of my seat to shout a battle cry. But then they made it look like minas tirith was made out of Lego, and if the first 5 minutes of the siege of Minas Tirith were anything to go by, the city should have been levelled in half an hour at most.

I could rant on about the various bits of the book that were left out, but it would take some space, and if the film is still good anyway, then whats the point?

Oh, and take some tissues, there were quite a few people who were left blubbing.
Sat 20/12/03 at 20:33
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> OK, well it's been 12 years since I last read the books but I'm SURE I
> remember Frodo and Sam separating, and I definitely remember Gandalf
> and the Witch King having a showdown...

--

Gandalf and the Witch-King do have a semi-showdown. The gates get busted in, Witch-King rides through, Gandalf tells him to please go away, Witch-King considers it. Then the nice horse-men arrive.
Sat 20/12/03 at 20:34
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Merry kills the Witchking in the books.

--

Lies. All the little guy does is to shin the mofo.
Sun 21/12/03 at 03:26
Regular
"relocated"
You see this is why I didn't go and see any LotR films for ages (apart from hating the books) - because as soon as you start enjoying it fanboys start b******* about how accurate it is.

Anyway I hated the books when I tried to read them as a kid/teenager and only saw the first film when it was on Sky a few months ago; however much I wanted to hate it I thought the film was absolutely brilliant. I saw the extended version of the 2nd film in the cinema a couple of weeks ago and then Return of the King on Thursday: both fantastic. The battle scenes are just astonishing and Gollum steals every scene he's in. Brilliant, brilliant films. I think in the hands of any other director it could have been a disaster but Peter Jackson has done an amazing job. Never thought I'd love a 'mainstream' film quite this much - especially one that I wasn't expecting to enjoy. Really nice surprise, and it even tempts me to try the books again.

I can't really say how fantastic I think these films are.
Sun 21/12/03 at 15:08
Regular
watched it last night, thoroughly enjoyed apart from the 3,483 endings.

it got to the point where it was annoying me - the last half hour could and should have been omitted
Sun 21/12/03 at 16:01
Regular
Should have? Nah, it's important to have all that stuff. If anything, it wasn't enough.
Sun 21/12/03 at 16:26
Regular
The ending did drag on a bit, I thought one or two of the last scenes could have been taken out.
Sun 21/12/03 at 16:30
Regular
One thing I didn't understand at the end was why and where Gandalf, Frodo, Bilbo and the rest had to go at the end?
Sun 21/12/03 at 21:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Fígó wrote:
> One thing I didn't understand at the end was why and where Gandalf,
> Frodo, Bilbo and the rest had to go at the end?

They went to the undying lands. Unlike middle earth it doesnt fall into decay.
Tue 23/12/03 at 11:08
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Watched it for second time last night, this time with my slightly slow friend. After the Smegol introduction, he turns to me and says "that didn't make any sense".

Hmm.

Still an amazingly good film, and I still have to see it with one more person.
Tue 23/12/03 at 11:21
Regular
Am I the only person that didn't actually think it was that great?

I don't know why, but I really didn't get into it as much as I thought I would. Some parts I found myself thinking of the nearest hole in the wall so I could get some money out after then film had finished.

Legolas surfing down the trunk of the elephant thing was just chuffing ridiculous. Shelob was good. Sam is gay, I've decided. He just hasn't admitted it yet....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.