GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My return of the king review (may contain spoliers)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/12/03 at 14:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well, i have to say that this was a marvellously entertaining film, i held off going for a pee until my hands went numb, but i still felt a little let down.

This film is by far the most removed from the book, and i think the spirit of the film suffers for it. Having Sam leave Frodo seemed to add an unneccesary complexity to the tale, and as for Gollum trying to poison Frodo against Sam i thought it a bit pointless.

But still, the battles are incredible, almost rousing me out of my seat to shout a battle cry. But then they made it look like minas tirith was made out of Lego, and if the first 5 minutes of the siege of Minas Tirith were anything to go by, the city should have been levelled in half an hour at most.

I could rant on about the various bits of the book that were left out, but it would take some space, and if the film is still good anyway, then whats the point?

Oh, and take some tissues, there were quite a few people who were left blubbing.
Wed 17/12/03 at 23:44
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Just got back from seeing it, and I'm still a little speechless at it all. Everything is in there, the battles are simply awesome in scale and magnitude and the you are immersed in each character's struggle. The viusals are breathtaking.. some shots just have to be seen: the lighting of the beacons, Theoden leading the riders of Rohan onto Pelennor Fields, Shelob easing herself down to lie in wait over Frodo.. So many points give you chills down your spine and leave your eyes stinging with emotion. Howard Shore's music again is superb, he not just accompianies the film but enhances every shot with every note of his themes.
The film brings together the trilogy brilliantly, the only complaint I have is that this is it, except for the EE, this is the end. I only wish they screened the Extended Edition too.
This film has to be seen - it is a landmark picture, a great story, and it is told brilliantly.
Thu 18/12/03 at 16:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well, i may be off to see it again tomorrow.

Ive always found that i enjoy the films more the second time, it lets you pay closer attention to the little details.
Thu 18/12/03 at 17:21
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I saw it last night, twas brilliant. Except the end... did it really need to go on like that, I think it almost ruined the film. But everything else was good. The elephants superb.
Thu 18/12/03 at 17:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ummm. The end was almost exactly the same as the book.
Thu 18/12/03 at 19:01
Regular
Except for the tiny little matter of the Scouring?
Thu 18/12/03 at 19:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Stryke wrote:
> Except for the tiny little matter of the Scouring?

Well i did say almost.

They could have done with having the scouring in it. The way they sat in the green dragon with nobody knowing what they had done was a little harsh.
Fri 19/12/03 at 10:59
Regular
"we escape....."
I saw it yesterday, the best one of the lot i thought!!!!! The Battle Scenes were immense. Altho the last half hour was pretty gay i just wanted it to end. it decided to do the opposite to the matrix and tie up every single loose end!! a bit draggy, but the rest of the film didn't drag at all i didn't want it to end but by the last half hour i wanted to get out as soon as poss.
Fri 19/12/03 at 11:01
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
What are you talking about? Frodo does leave Sam and Gollum does poison them against each other in the book.

The only thing I can think of that was different is Gandalf should have killed the Witch King, not Eowyn.

I was speechless after seeing it.
Fri 19/12/03 at 11:05
Regular
"we escape....."
prolly summink to do with feminist you know how everything has to be politically correct nowadays
Fri 19/12/03 at 13:39
Regular
Not really too sure why people why left blubbing...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.