GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My return of the king review (may contain spoliers)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/12/03 at 14:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well, i have to say that this was a marvellously entertaining film, i held off going for a pee until my hands went numb, but i still felt a little let down.

This film is by far the most removed from the book, and i think the spirit of the film suffers for it. Having Sam leave Frodo seemed to add an unneccesary complexity to the tale, and as for Gollum trying to poison Frodo against Sam i thought it a bit pointless.

But still, the battles are incredible, almost rousing me out of my seat to shout a battle cry. But then they made it look like minas tirith was made out of Lego, and if the first 5 minutes of the siege of Minas Tirith were anything to go by, the city should have been levelled in half an hour at most.

I could rant on about the various bits of the book that were left out, but it would take some space, and if the film is still good anyway, then whats the point?

Oh, and take some tissues, there were quite a few people who were left blubbing.
Tue 23/12/03 at 12:35
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I thought that this film was a remarkable let down. It was still a reasonably decent film however it didn't quite reach the bar which has been set so high by the other two. I think the main problems I had with it were length related. Whoever edited that film should be strung up by his testicles/her tats and shot. What on earth was the need in that all seeing eye? It must have taken up at least 4 minutes and it gave nothing to the films plot. OH NO! The enemy thinks pipin has the ring...yup...uh huh... And that was the end of that. What about Sam marrying Rosey at the end? WELL DUH! Of course they get married. They should have cut that out. Finally as for all the elves, gandalf, frodo and bilbo leaving well I just hated that. It was needlessly long and I would have preferred a nice and simple and they lived happily ever after. The Shire was Frodo and Sam's thing that kept them going throughout the entire film. Their love of the shire and the people in it but no Frodo just b|_|ggered off. Don't even get me started on that all powerrful king. He was almost as pointless as the seeing eye! I mean my god. They mentioned all his power and gave the impression that gandalf was worried about him only for him never to be mentioned again, never to be fought by gandalf and to be killed in about 5 minutes by a foot soldier and hobbit...nice. I could point out more annoyingly long and pointless parts of the film but it just annoys me. Sufficed to say they should have left that fight with Saruman in and taken all that other crap out.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:42
Regular
Yeah, and i rekon that gandalf should have stuck his staff in the big i and killed the evil wizard and den boromir can com back 2 live and everyone lives happily in aragorns big castle and frodo ignors the hol in his shoulder 4eva.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:45
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Somebody wasn't paying attention.... Pippin's visions from the Palantir (???) allowed Gandalf to get a glimpse of Sauron's plans to attack Minas Tirith. It was also the reason Pippin and Merry seperated.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:47
Regular
I wouldn't try explaining it to him. You'd have to start with "Right, so the hobbits are SMALLER than normal people..."
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:47
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Stryke wrote:
> Yeah, and i rekon that gandalf should have stuck his staff in the big
> i and killed the evil wizard and den boromir can com back 2 live and
> everyone lives happily in aragorns big castle and frodo ignors the
> hol in his shoulder 4eva.

Lol emmm urr right. Obviously Boromir can't come back to life and the spirit of Sauron had to die that way but I don't see what the problem is with everyone living in Aragorns big castle? And going away with some elves isn't going to make Frodo's shoulder better so there was really no need to go. I just think that they should have stayed in the place that they have been struggling to protect and using as their incentive to keep on going "We will see the shire again" and what not. They all love the Shire. Frodo, Sam, Pippin and so on.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:49
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Darwock wrote:
> Somebody wasn't paying attention.... Pippin's visions from the
> Palantir (???) allowed Gandalf to get a glimpse of Sauron's plans to
> attack Minas Tirith. It was also the reason Pippin and Merry
> seperated.

That was soooooo obvious/uneeded though. I mean if he fought Saruman he could have got Saurons plans from him and it's not as if anyone even went after Pippin so there was really no point.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:50
Regular
"That wound will never truly heal. He will carry it the rest of his life."

Frodo has a shard of Nazgul blade and Shelob's venom inside him. He goes off to the Undying Land because that's the only place a Ring-bearer can find peace. Same as Bilbo. Even Sam, who was a ring-bearer for a short while, leaves with Cirdan after Rosie dies.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:54
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Stryke wrote:
> "That wound will never truly heal. He will carry it the rest of
> his life."
>
> Frodo has a shard of Nazgul blade and Shelob's venom inside him. He
> goes off to the Undying Land because that's the only place a
> Ring-bearer can find peace. Same as Bilbo. Even Sam, who was a
> ring-bearer for a short while, leaves with Cirdan after Rosie dies.

As it says though those wounds will never truly heal so he's stuffed on that account. As for the Undying Land being the only place he could find peace did it say that anywhere in the film? How am I supposed to know something like that if it's only in the book. (pressuming it is in the book and not just an assumption). Rosie dies? Sam leaves with Cirdan? What? Now you're just going straight into the literature which has little relevance in a post talking about the film.
Tue 23/12/03 at 13:57
Regular
The books aren't a novelisation of this film. This is a film of the book. If you want a full understanding, you're going to have to read the books. With, like, words and stuff.

If you want a simple explanation, Valinor or the Undying Lands is the home of the demi-gods of Middle-Earth (the Valar). It's basically heaven for elves, a place of eternal bliss and so forth, where nothing ever goes wrong, no-one ever feels pain. So Frodo is cured by going.

Although apparently the parents of Luthien feel pain, as does Elrond, because Luthien and Arwen chose mortality...But I'm going into the literature again. Sorry.
Tue 23/12/03 at 14:04
Regular
Anyway, I still didn't think it was that great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.