GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the GC will Fail like the DC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/03/01 at 19:05
Regular
Nintendo is marketing is console at gamers... which is why the GC will fail.

X-Box and PS are both squarly aimed primarily at the middle market...

This is the market where the cash is... though no-one single middle market games-player will ever buy as many games as a single hobbyist gamer...

The number of middle market players is where the money is...

And given the cost of producing a console, and titles capible of competing in todays market the Nintendo wont have enough buyers cash to make this possible...

There may be one more full size console left in Nintendo... but its future is left only as a handheld machine...

(at least until Sony & Microsoft dicede to attak the market)
Mon 19/03/01 at 17:11
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Flying Pig wrote:
> I don't know - I think the fact that the GC
> isn't intending to
> compete with the PS2 / X-Box is a clever
> move -

How is it not competing with the X-Box/Ps2? .. Just
> curious...

> it'll find it's own
> niche in the Pokemon/
> fun games area and will probably do very
> well.....

But it
> wont last forever... the general public is forever fickle... and a
> new trend will soon be reuired to move from Pokemon... as the
> Turtles and the PowerRangers were moved on from before it...

As
> for whether it'll be the market leader, well anyone
> who know's
> me will probably be able to guess my view on that!

MArket
> leader... but if the X-Box and PS2 arnt competing with the GC...
> whos the GC competing with?
Mon 19/03/01 at 17:10
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:

How is it not competing with the X-Box/Ps2? .. Just
> curious...

MArket
> leader... but if the X-Box and PS2 arnt competing with the GC...
> whos the GC competing with?

I suppose in a way the 'Cube wont be competing directly with the X or PS2.

Im not exactly sure on this (so i suppose i shouldnt really be posting), but arent the PS2 and the X being sold as an all in one system. Ie watching DVD's, web broswing and playing games?

Whereas the 'Cube is just being sold as a games machine, so people who have access to the 'net at uni/work/school or whatever wont pay the extra to be able to do something they dont need. If someone has a PC at home with a DVD drive and net access, which i'd imagine quite a lot of people have, why pay £300ish for a PS2 or X when for less than £200, they'll be able to get a 'Cube, without paying money for extras they dont need.

Mon 19/03/01 at 17:03
"High polygon count"
> Sorry for the double-post. Stupid web browser.

I'm browsing the web. You calling me stoopid? ;-)
Mon 19/03/01 at 16:59
Regular
We still want Nintendo to produce pokemon, but the kiddy icon is slowly weraing away with more adulty games.
Mon 19/03/01 at 16:54
Sorry for the double-post. Stupid web browser.
Mon 19/03/01 at 16:53
It's true that for a large part of its life, the N64 was deemed a 'kiddies' machine. However, I've witnessed a slight change in that since the release of Conker's BFD. The 'kiddie' machine image won't hold for long, as long as Nintendo releases commercials early on in their marketing campaigns focused on things like Perfect Dark 2 and other more mature titles. If people see a commercial for Perfect Dark 2, and associate that with the Gamecube, it'll sell. Because they'll think,"Oh, so Nintendo finally decided to make games for us."

Meanwhile, kids will still want Pokemon. If they market it right, the Gamecube will stomp the rest.
Mon 19/03/01 at 16:53
It's true that for a large part of its life, the N64 was deemed a 'kiddies' machine. However, I've witnessed a slight change in that since the release of Conker's BFD. The 'kiddie' machine image won't hold for long, as long as Nintendo releases commercials early on in their marketing campaigns focused on things like Perfect Dark 2 and other more mature titles. If people see a commercial for Perfect Dark 2, and associate that with the Gamecube, it'll sell. Because they'll think,"Oh, so Nintendo finally decided to make games for us."

Meanwhile, kids will still want Pokemon. If they market it right, the Gamecube will stomp the rest.
Mon 19/03/01 at 12:11
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Flying Pig wrote:
> I don't know - I think the fact that the GC isn't intending to
> compete with the PS2 / X-Box is a clever move -

How is it not competing with the X-Box/Ps2? .. Just curious...

> it'll find it's own
> niche in the Pokemon/ fun games area and will probably do very
> well.....

But it wont last forever... the general public is forever fickle... and a new trend will soon be reuired to move from Pokemon... as the Turtles and the PowerRangers were moved on from before it...

As for whether it'll be the market leader, well anyone
> who know's me will probably be able to guess my view on that!

MArket leader... but if the X-Box and PS2 arnt competing with the GC... whos the GC competing with?
Mon 19/03/01 at 11:33
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I don't know - I think the fact that the GC isn't intending to compete with the PS2 / X-Box is a clever move - it'll find it's own niche in the Pokemon/ fun games area and will probably do very well.....

As for whether it'll be the market leader, well anyone who know's me will probably be able to guess my view on that!
Mon 19/03/01 at 10:14
"High polygon count"
Sorry, you did... just seen it. :-

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.