GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading to Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Sat 06/12/03 at 13:45
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Look my wireless, 4 port, ADSL router is under £65

Does that have wireless encryption protocol? And how does it work with lots of walls and stuff in the way?
Sat 06/12/03 at 13:42
Regular
Is there any difference between Xbox Live on a 512kbs/256kbs line and it on a 1mbs/256kbs line? Assuming there is nothing happening with the PC broadband (no downloads, etc).

And does anyone have any idea why Eclipse's 512kbs service is so freakishly cheap at £20.38 per month?
Thu 04/12/03 at 23:08
"I love yo... lamp."
Meh, you hadn't posted your last message when I started writing and then went to double check the price of the USB adaptor.
Thu 04/12/03 at 23:07
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> We considered it, but the fact that it's a very old, 5GB Harddrive
> Windows 95 PC, we just didn't think it was worth the hassle.

Yeah suppose, especially if you didnt use the PC much for internet theres not alot of point. Also means theres more bandwidth for the PC and XBox :D.
Thu 04/12/03 at 23:07
"I love yo... lamp."
Look my wireless, 4 port, ADSL router is under £65, which is only £20 more than the cheapest 4 port, ADSL router I have seen. So £20 extra on the router and another £22 for a USB wireless adaptor and you'll have broadband upstairs.
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:59
Regular
We considered it, but the fact that it's a very old, 5GB Harddrive Windows 95 PC, we just didn't think it was worth the hassle.
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Well, we've decided to scrap the wireless option and just set the
> downstairs PC up with broadband. It's much simpler and much cheaper.
>
> Thanks a lot for all your help - I really appreciate it. adrian
> especially. taka-Q and unknown kernel were useful too.
>
> Cheers :D

No probs :D. So you not having the upstairs on broadband? If not then you should consider it by connecting it through cables. If its easy to do and your allowed you should get the cable laid so that it can run from the Router to the upstairs PC, ethernet cables work up to 100m so unless you live in Buckingham Palace you should have plenty of space to lay some cable.
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:51
Regular
Well, we've decided to scrap the wireless option and just set the downstairs PC up with broadband. It's much simpler and much cheaper.

Thanks a lot for all your help - I really appreciate it. adrian especially. taka-Q and unknown kernel were useful too.

Cheers :D
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:12
Regular
"Digging!"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Right then, so if I want a broadband connection that can be used on
> two PCs (one upstairs and one downstairs) and an Xbox, with three
> phone sockets able for use at the same time, will I need anything
> other than the following:
>
> 1x ISP Broadband Connection
> 1x ADSL 3-port wireless WEP enabled router/modem
> 2x Cat5 Cable
> 3x Microfilter
> 1x Wireless Card
> 1x Network Card
>
> I really hope that's it, but I've got a nagging feeling it won't be.
> Where do I plug the router/modem in, for example?

Connects to your network cards via your nework cables or wirelessly.
Thu 04/12/03 at 21:26
Regular
Right then, so if I want a broadband connection that can be used on two PCs (one upstairs and one downstairs) and an Xbox, with three phone sockets able for use at the same time, will I need anything other than the following:

1x ISP Broadband Connection
1x ADSL 3-port wireless WEP enabled router/modem
2x Cat5 Cable
3x Microfilter
1x Wireless Card
1x Network Card

I really hope that's it, but I've got a nagging feeling it won't be. Where do I plug the router/modem in, for example?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.