GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading to Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Sun 07/12/03 at 18:40
Regular
Right then. Something I noticed when I was researching ISPs was this installation malarky. Some charge for it, others don't.

What's it all about? Can I do it myself?
Sun 07/12/03 at 15:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Ah ok. What are IP addresses exactly and what might you need multiple
> IPs for? Also, to connect your broadband to Xbox Live, do you have to
> have a router? If so, does that mean your broadband enabled PC needs
> a network card?

IP addresses are what the ISP gives you to connect to the internet, with out an IP address you cant be on the internet, as an IP is basically your address, without it nobody can send you anything. Multiple IPs are used on networks, but you do NOT need multiple IPs if your running from a Router you only need 1. IPs can also be dynamic or static. Static is that the IP your ISP gives you is set and will stay the same. Dynamic IPs will change every time you connect to the internet.

No you don't need a router for XBox Live. A method called Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) is used. So you would have your ADSL modem(USB/PCI), this would give the PC access to the internet. To get the XBox online and connected the PC MUST have a network card, so as the crossover cable can be connected to the PC and XBox. Then in the internet settings you just allow ICS and your away playing Live. The PC MUST also be turned on a connected to the internet when you want to play on XBox Live.

If you have a router you need a network card on the PC, so which ever way you want to do it the PC MUST have a network card. With a router you can then use XBox Live without the PC being turned on.
Sun 07/12/03 at 13:21
Regular
Ah ok. What are IP addresses exactly and what might you need multiple IPs for? Also, to connect your broadband to Xbox Live, do you have to have a router? If so, does that mean your broadband enabled PC needs a network card?
Sun 07/12/03 at 11:03
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Whooo! wrote:
> 20.38 * (117.5%) = 23.9465
>
> VAT ;)
>
> It says £20.38 on the website and information panflet. Mentions
> nothing about VAT.

At the bottom of the pricing page it says "All prices are exclusive of VAT" So I thin the proper price is £23.95, which would put it around the same as Pipex and Nildram. Eclipise are suppose to be a good ISP, so at £23.95 its a good price to pay, especially as you can chose a Static IP, or even multiple IPs for no extra cost.
Sun 07/12/03 at 10:43
Regular
Whooo! wrote:
> 20.38 * (117.5%) = 23.9465
>
> VAT ;)

It says £20.38 on the website and information panflet. Mentions nothing about VAT.
Sun 07/12/03 at 01:43
"I love yo... lamp."
Maverick42 wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Look my wireless, 4 port, ADSL router is under £65
>
> Does that have wireless encryption protocol? And how does it work
> with lots of walls and stuff in the way?

Haven't used it with wireless myself yet, but there is a review on Ebuyer of it and the guy said it worked well.

Yeah it has encryption, you can choose 64 or 128 bit and various encryption keys.
Sun 07/12/03 at 00:38
Regular
"How Handy."
20.38 * (117.5%) = 23.9465

VAT ;)
Sun 07/12/03 at 00:14
Regular
Whooo! wrote:
> Eclipse isnt that cheap, works out at £23.95, that's 50p a month
> more than Pipex..

It says £20.38 actually.
Sat 06/12/03 at 23:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Is there any difference between Xbox Live on a 512kbs/256kbs line and
> it on a 1mbs/256kbs line? Assuming there is nothing happening with
> the PC broadband (no downloads, etc).

Don't think so. I havent used XBox Live for about a year now, but as I recall it's very reliant on upload speed. So as both 512K and 1Mb have the same upload, I don't think you will see any difference. 1Mb is great for downloading or viewing larger streaming video files. 512K is excellent if you have only been use to 56K, but after a while you need more speed, well I did. So now with 1Mb I am happy, but still cant wait until 2Mb home gets trialled by BT.
Sat 06/12/03 at 18:53
Regular
"How Handy."
Eclipse isnt that cheap, works out at £23.95, that's 50p a month more than Pipex..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.