GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading to Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Mon 01/12/03 at 19:04
"I love yo... lamp."
A network card will cost you from £7 upwards. You shouldn't need to pay more than £15 at the most. They fit into a PCI slot on the motherboard of your PC.
Mon 01/12/03 at 18:16
Regular
Network cards, eh? How much would one of those set me back? And how would I go about equipping my upstairs PC with one?

And how do wireless router/modems work? Do you simply plug a receiver into the USB port of a PC and the router transmits to it?
Sun 30/11/03 at 22:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Right, wireless routers then.
>
> How do I make sure that the router includes an ADSL broadband modem
> when I buy? What are 'ports'? And how do I link this wireless router
> to my PC, the upstairs PC and my Xbox?

It will usually tell you whether its got a modem, most do. What do you mean by ports? If you mean when it says 4 port router then its just the amount of connections you can use. So with a 4 port router you could fit 3 pcs, and a Xbox all at the same time. Well a wireless router is expensive and not worth it if your not going to have any wireless connections. Each PC will need a network card, the Xbox already has one. Then you get a Cat5 cable and connect each network card in to one of the ports on the router.
Sun 30/11/03 at 22:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Oh, and what are these microfilters I keep reading about?

Very important devices. These allow you to use the phone at the same time as the internet. As ADSL works on the phone line but a different frequencies the phone and internet is on the same wire. A mircofilter filters out the internet side on one end. So on a microfilter you have a side for the ADSL connection and one for the phone. You need to make sure that every phone, fax, sky box, etc that is connected to a phone socket is filtered. If they are not filtered when they come to access the phone line the internet will disconnect.
Sun 30/11/03 at 22:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Well how come they list the price excluding VAT? Is there someway to
> get around it? Perhaps if you order it on business use?

They dont, not on there site as it clear states £33.99. On the adslguide list they show price excluding VAT. You should know by know that everything in the UK has VAT and its part of life. We normally dont bother about it as shops sell them at prices including VAT. Some websites show VAT and excluding VAT prices at the same time.
Sun 30/11/03 at 20:23
Regular
"Digging!"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Oh, and what are these microfilters I keep reading about?

Simply used to seperate the phone line into a socket for the highspeed internet and a normal phone line.
Sun 30/11/03 at 19:41
Regular
Oh, and what are these microfilters I keep reading about?
Sun 30/11/03 at 19:40
Regular
Right, wireless routers then.

How do I make sure that the router includes an ADSL broadband modem when I buy? What are 'ports'? And how do I link this wireless router to my PC, the upstairs PC and my Xbox?
Sun 30/11/03 at 19:08
Regular
"How Handy."
Not really, because then they'd want you to get a business package ;)

You probably could get the VAT back, but it isnt worth the hassle for a few quid.
Sun 30/11/03 at 16:54
Regular
Well how come they list the price excluding VAT? Is there someway to get around it? Perhaps if you order it on business use?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.