GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading to Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Mon 08/12/03 at 17:25
Regular
adrian wrote:
> Normal 4 port routers do not have USB on them, well as far as I know.
> So this is why I said about the network card as nearly all routers
> connect via a network card.
>
> I think Maverick42 is going with Eclipse, so he can get a router with
> them. Personnaly I would get the SpeedTouch 510v4 4 Port Ethernet
> ADSL Router from Eclipse as the SpeedTouch 530 USB/Ethernet ADSL
> Router needs a ethernet card to set up the router and can not be used
> on a machine that has only USB.

Yeah, I've decided to go for that modem. And I definitely need a network card if I do then? Will this one do?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SYNX /qid=1070904117/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_8_2/026-6079446-1370842

And will I need to open up my PC to install it? Seems like a lot of hassle.
Sun 07/12/03 at 23:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Ah, so I take it this is included in Eclipse's £50.00 activation
> fee?

Yes thats what the activation fee is just the BT cost of it. Dont forget that its £50 + VAT which is £58.75. You've got to be careful as alot of ISPs dont show the VAT on subscription etc, so you may end up paying more than you thought. Sometimes ISPs do free activation but then they might do 12 month subscription. Pipex did free activation and then if you left within 12 months you would have to pay the £58.75 back, which is fair enough as they paid it for you to start with.
Sun 07/12/03 at 23:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Yeah, most do, but just showing some don't. I don't know what hardware Eclipse do.

I'd recommend my Ebuyer Wunndar Box. That's not its real name but it's too long otherwise.
Sun 07/12/03 at 23:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Adrian is not entirely right in saying that you would need the PC to
> have a network card.
>
> http://www.voyager.bt.com/200/prodinfo.htm
>
> This modem/router connects to the PC via USB which lets you use ADSL
> on it it. It also has an ethernet port where you can run an ethernet
> cable between the modem and Xbox. But as the PC is connected to the
> modem via USB, you won't need a network card in it.

Normal 4 port routers do not have USB on them, well as far as I know. So this is why I said about the network card as nearly all routers connect via a network card.

I think Maverick42 is going with Eclipse, so he can get a router with them. Personnaly I would get the SpeedTouch 510v4 4 Port Ethernet ADSL Router from Eclipse as the SpeedTouch 530 USB/Ethernet ADSL Router needs a ethernet card to set up the router and can not be used on a machine that has only USB.
Sun 07/12/03 at 21:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Yes. Ethernet, cat5, LAN... all the same. Though for any really geeky pub quizzes you may end up in, Ethernet is technically a brand name, like Sello-Tape, not an actual thing.

Just remember there are 2 types, straight through and cross over. And if you get a hand made one out of a PC shop you may get something that looks like both but is actually neither. Then again it may just have been one incompetant guy who made my cable.
Sun 07/12/03 at 21:55
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Adrian is not entirely right in saying that you would need the PC to
> have a network card.
>
> http://www.voyager.bt.com/200/prodinfo.htm
>
> This modem/router connects to the PC via USB which lets you use ADSL
> on it it. It also has an ethernet port where you can run an ethernet
> cable between the modem and Xbox. But as the PC is connected to the
> modem via USB, you won't need a network card in it.

Is an ethernet cable the same as a Cat5 cable?
Sun 07/12/03 at 19:29
"I love yo... lamp."
Adrian is not entirely right in saying that you would need the PC to have a network card.

http://www.voyager.bt.com/200/prodinfo.htm

This modem/router connects to the PC via USB which lets you use ADSL on it it. It also has an ethernet port where you can run an ethernet cable between the modem and Xbox. But as the PC is connected to the modem via USB, you won't need a network card in it.
Sun 07/12/03 at 19:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I can't say yes 100% because I've never used them, but chances are, yes.
Sun 07/12/03 at 19:13
Regular
Ah, so I take it this is included in Eclipse's £50.00 activation fee?
Sun 07/12/03 at 18:58
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Maverick42 wrote:
> What's it all about?

If you get ADSL, your phone line will be connected through to your ISP, via your local exchange. This is something that BT will have to do, and charge for.

Some ISPs pass on the cost to you, while others pay this for you, its down to whichever ISP you choose. Its not something you can bypass or do yourself.

Just to add, I've got Pipex (512kbps), and am very happy with them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.