GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading to Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Thu 25/12/03 at 00:01
Regular
Broadband is good, get what ever you can lol

Speed is good

mmmm

downloads
Wed 24/12/03 at 23:35
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Not to worry. Fixed it another way.
>
> Alright if I add you on Live adrian?

If you want. You wont see me on their. Havent really play on it since last Christmas. Going to not re-subscribe, had fun on the Beta and got my £40 worth so I happy.
Wed 24/12/03 at 16:13
Regular
Not to worry. Fixed it another way.

Alright if I add you on Live adrian?
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> How do I alter the Maximum Transmission Unit size on my router?
>
> There is a problem regarding it with Xbox Live...

Download Dr TCP and then set the network card to the MTU. That will work for PC, but I dont actually think Routers have built in MTU as its dealt with the PC.
Wed 24/12/03 at 14:47
Regular
How do I alter the Maximum Transmission Unit size on my router?

There is a problem regarding it with Xbox Live...
Sat 20/12/03 at 12:37
Regular
Thanks for the help.

Currently on a new broadband server now. Sorted.
Sun 14/12/03 at 20:16
Regular
"Digging!"
]-[ØM€® B€€® §ØL!D ™ wrote:
> I have a reasonably old laptop with windows 98, and was just
> wondering, if i am to get broadband, will i be limited because of my
> computer. Ie do i need any special hardware, or ports etc? Could
> anyone help me with this. Thanks

A USB ADSL or Cable modem is all you need (plus microfilters for the phone sockets on ADSL). Shouldn't be limited by hardware for broadband, my old 900MHz AMD and 128MB of RAM managed just fine.
Sun 14/12/03 at 18:43
Regular
"the burning sky"
I have a reasonably old laptop with windows 98, and was just wondering, if i am to get broadband, will i be limited because of my computer. Ie do i need any special hardware, or ports etc? Could anyone help me with this. Thanks
Tue 09/12/03 at 15:34
Regular
"Digging!"
It took me about 3 mins to install a Gfx card (damn crappy APG holder thingy that you have to hold up while you push the card in), so you should be able to install a network card in that time easily.
Mon 08/12/03 at 17:41
"I love yo... lamp."
'Fraid so.

It isn't that difficult really, shouldn't take more than half an hour. Might be worth your while buying one out a PC shop, then you won't have to pay several quid on postage. Also you get it that day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.