GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo show"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
Well would you look at this. The fellow Nintendo monkeys running around crying because they wanted to see Revolution.

You were told before the show it wasn't going to be there. Why the surprise.

It's the PS3 and X-box 360 show. In fact it is pretty much just the PS3 show. Hence the reason Microsoft did that silly MTV party thing.

What can overshadow the biggest console announcement ever?

No... Nintendo cannot do that.

X-box's gimmick is customisable games, complete with snap on facias. Sony, ultra-realism.

Great ideas but they come at a price. And that price is ours. EA have already stated game prices could rise to as much as £60. And that publishers will have a hard time this generation.

Nintendo's suggestion is different. For starters they haven't cranked up the graphics to a pointless notion that most games developers (sorry all) won't be bothered to meet. But most importantly, Online is free.

The console, games, and online service will be as cheap as a cheap thing that is very cheap. And that's cheap.

Nintendo plan for a 2006 launch alongside Sony. Nintendo are working very hard to reach that. But they don't have anything to show us yet. They don't have time to order their minions to mock up videos and demos. They haven't even finalised the sodding controller yet.

Yet Nintendo fans. Us. Are once again throwing a fit because there wasn't anything concrete on show.

It just isn't the time. It really isn't. Maybe a September Spaceworld will do. But trust me, it makes sense, why show a console that will be overshadowed and ignored because Sony have announced theres.

Nintendo are talking about online plans. They've showed the greatest Zelda demo ever. A handfull of new Gamecube and DS games. And even a new, if slightly pointless, Gameboy... to further attack the PSP.

But still not happy.

The reason why the conference didn't have the impact of last years is because there isn't actually anything to show. I'm not surprised. I'm not happy but nor am I dissapointed. Nintendo's spotlight is still to come.

And I await with baited breath.

Dringo.
Wed 18/05/05 at 14:15
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> But revolution will be cheap so people may choose to have more than
> one console.

Yes, possible.

Although I can't imagine your Average Joe having two consoles, they buy one and stick with it.
Wed 18/05/05 at 14:08
Regular
"8==="
But revolution will be cheap so people may choose to have more than one console.

No doubt Nintendo have done the research and discovered this is the case this time around.
Wed 18/05/05 at 14:06
Regular
I think the major problem Nintendo will have is their late arrival.

PS3 and the 360' will be out way before Nintendo brings their Revolution into the market.
Wed 18/05/05 at 14:02
Regular
Bluetooth wrote:
> munn wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> This E3 has been spectacular. The new PS3 looks amazing. X-box 360
> less so but with some clever ideas and Perfect Dark.
>
> Why should I care about that, the agreement in my family is I'll get
> the Revolution and my brothers will get the PS3/X-box 360.
>
> Definitely drawn the short straw there.

I disagree, I have about 30 top quality games, whereas they're always trading theirs in because they're not good enough.

They've each only got about 5-10 games that are top quality and that they won't trade in.

And I've had to trade in some good games because I've needed other stuff, such as a new controller or memory card.
Wed 18/05/05 at 13:57
Startup soundbite with Reggie's E3 2004 "taking names" quote is a good reason.

The Killzone footage is most probably prerendered, however. But at least it delivers on the hype. Nintendo don't have that, or the substance - what's to say Mario 128 won't be "revolutionary" at all? (OMG Mario has a WATER PACK). Furthermore, Nintendo haven't given any Revolution dev kits out, especially not to third parties. Big mistake, seeing as those for 360 and PS3 are only starting to show ingame footage now.
Wed 18/05/05 at 13:57
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dringo, you can be as optimistic as you like, but the fact of the matter is, you're really not looking at this situation very realistically. Nintendo's presence so far has been... well, pretty much non-existent. People don't want to look at a prototype of the Revolution or a new and pointlessly small GBA. People want to see GAMES in action, and Nintendo have provided us with nothing. No Revolution games whatsoever, barely any Gamecube games, and even although the DS is a new handheld with a potentially long life in front of it, they've not really pushed the boat out there either. Basically they've had a no-show so far. And be perfectly honest, I'll be very surprised if this will change over the next week or so.

Revolution is not ready, and Xbox 360 and PS3 pretty much are. You've said that games look crap 12 months before they're released... yet the Killzone 2 footage completely disagrees with this. Surely if Nintendo were in any way close to having games ready for the Revolution launch (which they blatantly aren't), then they would have at least revealed something. There have been heaps of trailed for Microsoft and Sony's new consoles, and Nintendo have been left behind again. They promised us they'd get it right this time... but nope. Unless they somehow manage to rush together a fantastic controller and a bunch of top of the range titles, then a lot of Nintendo fans are going to be left looking elsewhere.

What they should have done this year (if they had any sense), was have footage of Revolution titles that will draw a lot of attention. Mario 128 should be ready to be shown by now (hell, it's been in development for years), and this new Mario Kart title they've got planned is probably better off being held back for a Revolution launch release rather than released on the Gamecube as I think the plan is currently. Geist should probably be held back as well, seeing as they could then have an FPS ready for the launch (something that Nintendo have never had, and has doubltess been a major factor in helping people decide whether to buy the console or not). Then why not get companies like Konami on board so that a Pro Evolution title, for example, can be included in a good list of titles.

Personally, I think they've left it too late again. I can't be bothered waiting until next year to find out what the Revolution is really going to be about and what the games on it are going to be like. By then I'll probably have bought an Xbox 360.

Yeah, online features sound good, and the idea for downloadable content from previous Nintendo generations is nice, but meh, other consoles are already properly online, and if the best thing about Nintendo's new console is the old games, then that's a bit worrying.

I'm hopeful they'll pull something out of the bag. But I very much doubt I'm going to be impressed any time soon.
Wed 18/05/05 at 13:47
Regular
"8==="
Oh and Nintendo haven't given us a decent reason to wait.
Wed 18/05/05 at 13:46
Regular
"8==="
This reads like a wrestler's speech.
Wed 18/05/05 at 13:44
Regular
munn wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
> Why should I care about that, the agreement in my family is I'll get
> the Revolution and my brothers will get the PS3/X-box 360.

Definitely drawn the short straw there.
Wed 18/05/05 at 13:18
Regular
Dringo wrote:

Why should I care about that, the agreement in my family is I'll get the Revolution and my brothers will get the PS3/X-box 360. I don't want to know about the consoles they're getting, I want to know about what I'm getting.

> And that
> Zelda... not to mention some nice online plans from the Big N.

Oh yes, it looks absolutely wonderful.
One good game and online plans which will suck for me because I don't like playing online (much).

Hoofookingrah.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.