GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo show"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
Well would you look at this. The fellow Nintendo monkeys running around crying because they wanted to see Revolution.

You were told before the show it wasn't going to be there. Why the surprise.

It's the PS3 and X-box 360 show. In fact it is pretty much just the PS3 show. Hence the reason Microsoft did that silly MTV party thing.

What can overshadow the biggest console announcement ever?

No... Nintendo cannot do that.

X-box's gimmick is customisable games, complete with snap on facias. Sony, ultra-realism.

Great ideas but they come at a price. And that price is ours. EA have already stated game prices could rise to as much as £60. And that publishers will have a hard time this generation.

Nintendo's suggestion is different. For starters they haven't cranked up the graphics to a pointless notion that most games developers (sorry all) won't be bothered to meet. But most importantly, Online is free.

The console, games, and online service will be as cheap as a cheap thing that is very cheap. And that's cheap.

Nintendo plan for a 2006 launch alongside Sony. Nintendo are working very hard to reach that. But they don't have anything to show us yet. They don't have time to order their minions to mock up videos and demos. They haven't even finalised the sodding controller yet.

Yet Nintendo fans. Us. Are once again throwing a fit because there wasn't anything concrete on show.

It just isn't the time. It really isn't. Maybe a September Spaceworld will do. But trust me, it makes sense, why show a console that will be overshadowed and ignored because Sony have announced theres.

Nintendo are talking about online plans. They've showed the greatest Zelda demo ever. A handfull of new Gamecube and DS games. And even a new, if slightly pointless, Gameboy... to further attack the PSP.

But still not happy.

The reason why the conference didn't have the impact of last years is because there isn't actually anything to show. I'm not surprised. I'm not happy but nor am I dissapointed. Nintendo's spotlight is still to come.

And I await with baited breath.

Dringo.
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:41
Regular
"the burning sky"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> What makes me excited about gaming is seeing series I love look even
> better (Zelda, 3D Pokemon RPG) and getting new games from designers I
> admire, like Shigsy (Zelda, Mario, Pikmin etc.)

Its a pity a lot of people dont see it that way. Most people go, "ooh shiny shiny graphics, I have to get it".
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:38
Regular
Sorry but I've been gaming properly since I was about 12. I'm 18 now, saying "here's our new console, it's extra shiny and the graphics on these new games are 10x better than our old one" doesn't get me excited.

What are you offering me that I couldn't have before?

Look at this way: Metroid Prime, fantastic game.

Metroid Prime could have been on the N64, just with worse graphics, though at the time they would have been fine.

PGR3 could be an Xbox game, it just won't look as good. That's the only improvment Xbox 360 allows it to make.

What makes me excited about gaming is seeing series I love look even better (Zelda, 3D Pokemon RPG) and getting new games from designers I admire, like Shigsy (Zelda, Mario, Pikmin etc.)

I'm not saying I like outdated graphics, but as long as they're okay it will do me.

If Nintendo can do just one thing different for gaming, it's worth it.

I know I will get a Revolution and an Xbox 360, and I know the chances of Sony doing something special are very slim.

I also don't care when consoles/games are shown, I'm generally not interested until we're close to being able to play them. I'm a gamer, not an accountant.
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:37
Regular
"the burning sky"
Dringo wrote:
> This E3 has been spectacular. The new PS3 looks amazing.

You are joking right?? I looks like a slightly more curvy PS2. Well i suppose thats what all Sony fans want anyway...
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
nothing, because it was all exactly as expected. We don't know what to expect from Nintendo so they had a chance to impress everyone, but, they haven't. In fact, they've just had a rubbish conference.

Oh and apparently Dringo has left because he doesn't like games anymore and we all moan too much
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:20
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
The word 'New' is self-explanatory
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:14
Regular
Well what's special about that?
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:12
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Whitestripes DX wrote:

> -Look at new console
> -Look at new controller
> -Look at improved graphics
> -Look at new games
> -It will be online
>

Of course, what else would it be?
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:09
Regular
I read over that meeting thing at IGN, I know I'm easily pleased when it comes to gaming, but this was more than enough to make me happy:

-Twilight Princess looks like the best game ever made.
-Free internet gaming on Revolution.
-Smash Bros with free online gaming is a launch game for Revolution.
-Promised more new franchises from Shigsy, one of which will be a launch title (replacing Mario?)
-Proper 3D Pokemon RPG next year, supposed to be quite 'dark'.

And that means online sequel on Revolution, and seing as it's backwards compatible at least some online functionality for Gmaecube version.

I haven't really taken an interest in E3 this year, but I'm guessing Sony and Microsoft had something like:

-Look at new console
-Look at new controller
-Look at improved graphics
-Look at new games
-It will be online

TBH Nintendo appear to have the same stuff, sure there is no controller or Revolution games shown, but we all know they exist.

Again, I don't understand the reaction. You've looked at new PS3 games, when can you play them? In a year? So what's the rush?

BTW I'm sure Dringo has made the usual ass of himself in this thread. I haven't read it so please don't lump me in with him if you're thinking of criticising.
Wed 18/05/05 at 15:45
Regular
I don't see why anyone really cares.

Nintendo will reveal the Revolution when they want to, and whenever that is, hordes of gaming press will be all over it.

Just because E3 is a massive gaming show, there's no rule that says big announcments must be made there.
Wed 18/05/05 at 15:38
Regular
I thought the Zelda trailer was excellent and the graphics were very impressive.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.