GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo show"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
Well would you look at this. The fellow Nintendo monkeys running around crying because they wanted to see Revolution.

You were told before the show it wasn't going to be there. Why the surprise.

It's the PS3 and X-box 360 show. In fact it is pretty much just the PS3 show. Hence the reason Microsoft did that silly MTV party thing.

What can overshadow the biggest console announcement ever?

No... Nintendo cannot do that.

X-box's gimmick is customisable games, complete with snap on facias. Sony, ultra-realism.

Great ideas but they come at a price. And that price is ours. EA have already stated game prices could rise to as much as £60. And that publishers will have a hard time this generation.

Nintendo's suggestion is different. For starters they haven't cranked up the graphics to a pointless notion that most games developers (sorry all) won't be bothered to meet. But most importantly, Online is free.

The console, games, and online service will be as cheap as a cheap thing that is very cheap. And that's cheap.

Nintendo plan for a 2006 launch alongside Sony. Nintendo are working very hard to reach that. But they don't have anything to show us yet. They don't have time to order their minions to mock up videos and demos. They haven't even finalised the sodding controller yet.

Yet Nintendo fans. Us. Are once again throwing a fit because there wasn't anything concrete on show.

It just isn't the time. It really isn't. Maybe a September Spaceworld will do. But trust me, it makes sense, why show a console that will be overshadowed and ignored because Sony have announced theres.

Nintendo are talking about online plans. They've showed the greatest Zelda demo ever. A handfull of new Gamecube and DS games. And even a new, if slightly pointless, Gameboy... to further attack the PSP.

But still not happy.

The reason why the conference didn't have the impact of last years is because there isn't actually anything to show. I'm not surprised. I'm not happy but nor am I dissapointed. Nintendo's spotlight is still to come.

And I await with baited breath.

Dringo.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:56
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> "before schedule"
>
> How is that good?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Anyway, I don't care about waiting.

I wait all the time.
I don't care if the Revolution doesn't sell as much as the PS3 or X-Box 360.
I don't care if I don't get as much 3rd party support on the Revolution.

If I get to play the games I like when they come out, then that's all I care about.

I still don't have Resi 4, Donkey Konga or MariO Tennis, but I still love playing my Gamecube, because what I have is enough to keep me happy until I get it.

No doubt Sony and Microsoft will rush out their consoles again, which will force Nintendo to rush theirs out again, meaning all three consoles will start with a dire line-up.

If I have to wait 6 months longer for the Revolution to be released, but get a new Zelda, Mario and Metroid game with it, then I'll be ecstatic.

I'd probably be more annoyed getting Smash Bros at Christmas, along with 4 or 5 multi-format games and then having to wait until June to get Mario, Zelda and Metroid than waiting until June and getting all 3 at once.

Who cares if less people buy it, we get less crappy games released as less crappy multi-format developers release tehm, but by the sounds of things, most of you seem to be getting one of teh other two anyway, so what's the problem?

It's still better than Nintendo going software only.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:54
Regular
munn wrote:

> This is the most fantastic thing ever.

It would be good, but Wi-Fi in the UK is a load of balls and will most likely result in you having to pay for a connection anyway.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:48
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> -Free internet gaming on Revolution.

Oh, I didn't realise this.

I thought it would cost money.
This is the most fantastic thing ever.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:06
Regular
"bit of a brain"
"before schedule"

what ar eyou on about? you can't possibly think that it's a good thing that the Revolution is already behind the PS3 and 360, can you? I mean come on! If the PS3 is finished then developers can start making games RIGHT NOW (oh look they are), which means more games with more time spent on them. Revolution doesn't have any games planned for it and no one has seen it - the longer Nintendo take the less time developers have to make games for launch. How is that good?
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:05
Regular
People will pay attention when everything is finally unveiled.

5 months doesn't hurt, but it isn't that much of a gain.

It certainly isn't OMGWTFPWN for Nintendo like everyone seems to think.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:02
Regular
Yeah but the console isn't out yet Gerrid so it can be unfinished.

Just cause the PS3 is ready before schedule does not mean the Revolution needs to be.
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
yeah they can show us in 3 months time, but right now is when everyone is paying attention. Also don't forget that Nintendo haven't actually finished the console or got any games for it. It's not just a case of them not wanting to show anything they don't have anything to show. The PS3 is already ahead. In 5 months yeah fine Nintendo can finalise everything but by then the Xbox 360 and the PS3 will have already had 5 months extra time than the Revolution, which isn't exactly going to hurt the number of games available or their quality, is it?
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:49
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> I think the major problem Nintendo will have is their late arrival.
>
> PS3 and the 360' will be out way before Nintendo brings their
> Revolution into the market.

It's only gonna be a little late if at all.

It won't be like 2 years late in comparison to the PS2.

Damn I'm just too addicted to these forums.
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:43
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> nothing, because it was all exactly as expected. We don't know what to
> expect from Nintendo so they had a chance to impress everyone, but,
> they haven't.

Why can't they impress us in 3 months time? Or next week?

Do you think that gamers and the press hibernate for 11 months a year and awaken only to be amazed at E3?

You don't need to " keep up with the Jones' ", especcially when they're 5-10 months away from release anyway.
Wed 18/05/05 at 16:42
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Yeah fine you don't care but this sort of thing has an effect.

The mistakes that Nintendo made with the Gamecube are affecting everyone who owns a Gamecube - just look at the meagre selection of games available this year - look how many mutliformat games we miss out on. Personally I don't want the Revolution to suffer in the same way so I have an interest in how well it does.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.