GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The new PS3 controller"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/05/05 at 20:21
Regular
"lets go back"
So what do you all think?

I was pretty shocked to say the least. I uxpected something similar to the previous incarnations, or perhaps no change from the dualshock 2.

After the initial shock has worn off, they dont look too bad to me. As long as they are comfy and light weight and have the usual durability (which im sure they will), then this new shape is welcom in my camp.

Your views pleas?
Sat 21/05/05 at 11:13
Regular
"lol"
I don't think this is the real control, no way. That doesn't look good at all. The handles are bigger than on the N64 pad.
Sat 21/05/05 at 10:35
"Retarded List"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Unless they changed it to something actually good.
>
> I just don't like it ... it's ugly, with no improvement at all over
> the current pad.

My thoughts exactly.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:42
Regular
I dont thnk it really matters where the buttons are. You adapt to them in time. I used nothing but the N64 controller from launch until i got a PS2 in 2001, didnt like the position of the analogue at first but i've got used to it now and think its perfect. Only really play on Pro evo these days though.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:18
Regular
"The definitive tag"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> And Chr1s, hush. Most games wouldn't work half as well without
> analogue control - platformers especially, and pretty much any game
> where you have to move something ...
>
> It only sucked in SA in the driving, because digital steering is much
> more suited to the right-angled roads, and the cars were a complete
> ass to control anyway.

Hmmm. I suppose I am basing my point mostly on racing and driving games, but I've also found a few FPS to be a little difficult to control with the analog. MOH Frontline for example.

The analog is good if the idea is executed properly. Take the GC pad for example. The analog is in a far better position than that of the PS2 pad. Nintendo showed that they wanted the analog to be the main method of control by placing it where the D-pad had been dominant in the past. Sony should have done the same thing with the PS2 pad, but instead they stuck it in an uncomfortable position. I can safely say that I would use the PS2 analog more than the D-pad if they had swapped over the positions.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Need to wait until I actually see and hold it.
Does look very odd though.
Fri 20/05/05 at 21:48
"period drama"
But the whole great thing about the N64 pad was te central spike - the analogue stick was in perfect reach, and you had the cool trigger button on the back.

And Chr1s, hush. Most games wouldn't work half as well without analogue control - platformers especially, and pretty much any game where you have to move something ...

It only sucked in SA in the driving, because digital steering is much more suited to the right-angled roads, and the cars were a complete ass to control anyway.
Fri 20/05/05 at 21:36
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think it looks ugly but then I think the PS2 looks ugly and I've owned one since launch.

From the looks of the new controller layout it'll be easier to hold and that's about it, which is great because after using the same layout for the last 10 years I don't have to make a sudden shift in finger/hand positioning to continue to play games.

I see it as basically N64 controller shape without the central spike and a PlayStation button layout.

Edit: cuz I carnt spel.
Fri 20/05/05 at 21:35
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Geffdof wrote:
> Do you mean the analogue stick? where else would it go? I dont like
> the stick-instead-of-D-pad setup of other controllers.

I prefer the D-pad, but the crappy position of the stick makes a difference when you're faced with a game that forces you to use it. San Andreas made that mistake. If I had it my way, there would be no stick at all. It doesn't make movements any more accurate.
Fri 20/05/05 at 20:59
"period drama"
Unless they changed it to something actually good.

I just don't like it ... it's ugly, with no improvement at all over the current pad.
Fri 20/05/05 at 20:55
Regular
"Mozzy"
I think it looks really interesting. I don't think Sony can win either way, everyone goes on about how they never change the look of their controllers but then when they do change the look everyone moans.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.