GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The new PS3 controller"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/05/05 at 20:21
Regular
"lets go back"
So what do you all think?

I was pretty shocked to say the least. I uxpected something similar to the previous incarnations, or perhaps no change from the dualshock 2.

After the initial shock has worn off, they dont look too bad to me. As long as they are comfy and light weight and have the usual durability (which im sure they will), then this new shape is welcom in my camp.

Your views pleas?
Thu 30/06/05 at 17:20
Regular
"object"
im my mind the best controllers are the new xbox ones the trigger buttons are great and its very ergenomic
Fri 17/06/05 at 01:25
Regular
"The Red Shift"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> The only thing that could make it better would be a proper, N64-style
> trigger on the handle, which always just felt ... right.

I still retain that the N64 was the greatest controller there ever has been. It was ergonomically perfect and even had the Z trigger, which was a stroke of genius and made GoldenEye one of the most enjoyable games ever. It was like holding a real gun after all.

> D-pads are good for ... er ... making menu selections.
> I think that's about it.

I still use the D-pad in shoot-em-ups for weapon selection sure, but I use it for everything else as well. I despise using the analogue sticks for anything but shoot-em-ups. D-pads are so much more useful in sports games, because the precision you can get in the direction your facing and moving in a constant line is so important. Driving games too. It would be possible for me to play RPGs on the analogue sticks, but I just find it easier on the D-pad.

I wouldn't buy any of the consoles if they didn't have a D-pad enabled control set-up.

Then again I'm thinking that I might not get any of the latest ones...

*gasp*
Thu 16/06/05 at 20:17
Regular
"Steady, Go!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:

> D-pads are good for ... er ... making menu selections.
> I think that's about it.

D-Pads are used a lot in games for weapon selection to changing the radio station, without them there wouldn't be enough buttons to select thing! Analog sticks are good for in game action but the D-Pad is a neccessity.
Wed 15/06/05 at 22:08
"period drama"
Aye, GC controller is a beauty. Light, perfectly shaped, nice triggers and button placement. And the Ninty-patented octagons around the analogue sticks = beat-em-up perfection.

The only thing that could make it better would be a proper, N64-style trigger on the handle, which always just felt ... right.

D-pads are good for ... er ... making menu selections.
I think that's about it.
Wed 15/06/05 at 21:49
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I still stand by the fact that the GC's controller is the most ergonomical controller ever. Your hands just mold round it. Heh, you've gotta love Shigsy's desire to make stuff the best he can. :)

Also, D-Pad's are becoming obsolete these days. Sure, they're good for things like handhelds, but to experience a true 3D game you're going to want to use an analogue stick anyway.
Wed 15/06/05 at 21:06
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Yes. If the analog stick is put in the right place and it feels good to use then what use would a D-pad have?

It may seem a little odd to non-Gamecube owners, but it's a genius way of doing things.
Wed 15/06/05 at 20:01
Regular
"Steady, Go!"
> Sony should take a look at the Gamecube controller and realise that
> the analog stick should be to the extreme left of the pad.

And the D-Pad goes? I like the analog sticks where they are, am used to them. And looking at the gamecube I hope would be the last resort!
Tue 14/06/05 at 21:27
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Ready wrote:
> The analog sticks are fine aswell, don't
> know what you're all moaning about, you must have small hands if you
> think they're too far away!!!!!!!

Distance isn't the problem, positioning is. The position of the analog sticks isn't naturally where most people would like to control from.

Sony should take a look at the Gamecube controller and realise that the analog stick should be to the extreme left of the pad.
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:25
Regular
"Steady, Go!"
Displayed wrote:
> onyl one word to describe it
>
>
>
> Banana

no, boomerang. It doesn't matter about durability, if you dropped it it would just come back to you!

Why couldn't they just make the dualshock 2 wireless? I like the way the L and R buttons overhang so it's comfier, and it is the perfect size, not too small or big. The analog sticks are fine aswell, don't know what you're all moaning about, you must have small hands if you think they're too far away!!!!!!!

THE NEW CONTROLLER WILL BE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE! It is far too big and has a really stupid layout. As the saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm a die hard Playstation fan (bought the first one as soon as it came out, have a PS2 and a PSP and am getting the PS3 and probably all the other ones!) and love the look of the new console, but the new controllers have certainly wrecked this beautiful machine.
Mon 13/06/05 at 12:13
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
flufferman wrote:

> it still lokks better than the others but really thats not hard

What, so it looks better than the Revolution's, then?

(this could/should be funny)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.