GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scariest film ever?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/10/03 at 18:49
Regular
"Party Hard"
Following the complete mess they made of the top 100 scariest moments on channel 4 (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Yeah right!), I'm interested to find out the scariest film you've ever seen and why.

As for me, it would take a lot to scare me now, but I'll never forget the first time I saw JAWS. The bit with the head floating out the wreckage freaked me out.

More recently though, I've had Cabin Fever, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Shallow Grave running riot with my nerves. Even though Shallow Grave isn't 'scary' as such, it's still a brutal, bone-chilling, black-as-night thriller with a shocking finale and pulse-pounding soundtrack.

So, what else has had you stocking up on spare underwear?
Fri 31/10/03 at 15:22
Regular
That episode of the X Files called Home.

About these three deformed brothers who were 'doing' incest and killed their mums little deformed baby, and clubbed this police guy to death.

Disturbing because I reckon there are freaks like that out their on some farms.
Fri 31/10/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Sibs wrote:
"Didn't think it was that scary... sure it's a bit messed up in places, but most of it is the three people bitching... and I didn't get the ending... why was the bloke standing in the corner after dropping his camera...? When he dropped the camera I thought he'd been clubbed over the head or something, but no, she gets down there (after some disturbingly high pitched screaming...) and he's just stood there staring at the wall..."

I still don't really see what all the fuss is about this film...
It's not as scary as people see to think - it only causes you concern when you try to picture yourself there.

But, as for that ending... That really got to me!

Seeing the bloke just stood in the corner of that old house was wierd - I couldn't understand why he was doing it, either. But the screaming... That sent shivers down my spine!! It really gave it an atmosphere. :S

Still, I'd never go into the woods, alone, at nightime, after this...! :S
Thu 30/10/03 at 18:04
Regular
"One More Chance"
Light wrote:
> Jetster wrote:
>
>
> My dad got this film in a sale a while ago. I've only seen it once
> and can only remember those little robots that help run things. When
> one of them at the end jettisoned himself off with part of the ship
> (I think) to help save the plants or something similar.
>
> Nearly brought a tear to my eye, brave little fellow.
>
> Yeah, the last robot (Huey I think) stayed on the dome to tend the
> wildlife for the rest of eternity, whilst Bruce Dern and the other
> remaining robot (Louie perhaps?) blew themselves up. It is kinda
> heart rending.

Yeah, that's it. Cool little robots.

*Looks to sky*

You are doing a grand job little Huey...

"I sobbed like a ginger child looking into a mirror for the first time."

Funniest thing I've heard in a while.
Thu 30/10/03 at 18:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Saw Blair Witch when it was on Channel 4 t'other day...

Didn't think it was that scary... sure it's a bit messed up in places, but most of it is the three people bitching... and I didn't get the ending... why was the bloke standing in the corner after dropping his camera...? When he dropped the camera I thought he'd been clubbed over the head or something, but no, she gets down there (after some disturbingly high pitched screaming...) and he's just stood there staring at the wall...

Spose it would have been freaky for the first people who saw it when there was the illusion it was a 'real' documentary and the people were actually missing...
Thu 30/10/03 at 14:20
Regular
Crazy_Daisy wrote:
> they wear suits and appear on the
> news at 10.

trevor mcdonald? have you contacted the police about this yet? jeez, my gran met him and said he was a 'really nice fella'. the last person you suspect I suppose, but that's always the case isn't it.....

:D
Thu 30/10/03 at 13:52
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Jetster wrote:

>
> My dad got this film in a sale a while ago. I've only seen it once
> and can only remember those little robots that help run things. When
> one of them at the end jettisoned himself off with part of the ship
> (I think) to help save the plants or something similar.
>
> Nearly brought a tear to my eye, brave little fellow.

Yeah, the last robot (Huey I think) stayed on the dome to tend the wildlife for the rest of eternity, whilst Bruce Dern and the other remaining robot (Louie perhaps?) blew themselves up. It is kinda heart rending.

Though curiously, not as much as the scene in 28 Days Later when they see the wild horses. When he blew them that kiss, which to my mind was his way of saying goodbye to his wife forever, I sobbed like a ginger child looking into a mirror for the first time.
Wed 29/10/03 at 20:29
Regular
"Va Va Voom"
Scariest movies I have ever seen are:

The Blair Witch Project - some bits are a little etchy but it is terrifying at points and what you dont see it more scary. Like, you never see the 'blair witch' so it is open to interpretation what she looks like and thus is more scary than some poorly constructed robotic blob or bloke in a halloween mask wielding a mallet.... Plus I live near some woods so it has more of an impact!

Secondly I found The Ring, the 2003 version (I havent seen the Jap one) bloody horrifying. It had my nerves on edge from the offset. Where she crawls out of the tv is the scariest thing I have probably ever seen, its how she moves too - all jerkily and snappy. What I wonder thought is if you have one of those little tv's on a stand in the corner of your room, when she crawls out will she fall and smack her head?! Lol, it is a scary movie though, the bit with the horse is hilarious!

Signs made me jump a bit, where the dog barks really loud near the start of the movie - that made me jump like anything. I think it is scary when you see the tv footage of the alien walking from behind the bush. At the very end where you see the reflection of the alien in the tv this bloke in front of us in the cinema spilt his popcorn everywhere he jumped so much! Hehe.

28 days later is quite scary. Made me jump like hell where the car alarm goes off and where the guy on the chain runs at him. Its a brilliant movie too, very well made (Go Britain!) probably the best British horror movie ever made.

The Haunting - there is a 1969 version that has been re-released on DVD (according to dvd monthly) and the crap one with Catherine "Look at me" Zeta Jones in. The original is bloody terrifying although like with The Blair Witch Project, you never see the ghost. In the remake there is some Casper style crap ghost that really kills the mood. The original is great though.

The serial killer movies often fail to scare me. Sure I will jump when they leap out with a blade and slice up the heroin who's boobs are bigger than her brain - but I never really feel freaked out after all - killers dont wear masks - they wear suits and appear on the news at 10.
Wed 29/10/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Va Va Voom"
Nebuchan wrote:

> More recently though, I've had Cabin Fever

My GOD, are you ok!?
Wed 29/10/03 at 20:02
Regular
RoJ wrote:
> Mystique found that scary because she saw what she is supposed to look
> like.
Like some ginger bint? I think not.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:55
Regular
"One More Chance"
Light wrote:
> Silent Running - Mankind is morally bankrupt, nature is no more. The
> planet is covered in concrete. Need I say more?

My dad got this film in a sale a while ago. I've only seen it once and can only remember those little robots that help run things. When one of them at the end jettisoned himself off with part of the ship (I think) to help save the plants or something similar.

Nearly brought a tear to my eye, brave little fellow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.