GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm not a sexist, but..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/08/03 at 09:25
Regular
Men and Women are different! C'mon, men are (Naturally stronger than women, but women have abilities better than men (no not ironing or any other crappy joke of the same theme))

A few years back Women were'nt allowed in the fireservice, now some of them had a sh!tfit and eventually the goverment said yes, now women can be firefighters, only problem, mens natural ability to be taller therefor stronger, made them better than MOST women, therefor, women failed the tests and couldnt become firefighters. Fair enough, we have these tests to make sure people are capable of saving and protecting lives...the goverment make the test ALOT easier for women, giving them a pass rate, therefor, more women are now firefighters, therefor my life is to be saved when a 5ft 5" woman carrys me out of a window ever her shoulder...?

Well then, that seems a little unfair, but get this, the women were demanding EQUAL rights! EQUAL. So, what do they do? They go out and make 'Diamond', the only car insurance JUST for women. That doesnt seem fantastically equal to me. But, men, we keep schtoomp, because we cant be bothered to argue. Woman howerever, if this was an advert saying 'Male onyl car insurance' or in other words 'Because its women who cause crashes and raise the rates', would get it banned. Now I dont mind the service, all I'm saying is Ladies, for god's sakes make up your mind, which is it you want, equal rights or privilages for different sexes?

Your veiws?
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:25
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Men and Women are different! C'mon, men are (Naturally stronger than women, but women have abilities better than men (no not ironing or any other crappy joke of the same theme))

A few years back Women were'nt allowed in the fireservice, now some of them had a sh!tfit and eventually the goverment said yes, now women can be firefighters, only problem, mens natural ability to be taller therefor stronger, made them better than MOST women, therefor, women failed the tests and couldnt become firefighters. Fair enough, we have these tests to make sure people are capable of saving and protecting lives...the goverment make the test ALOT easier for women, giving them a pass rate, therefor, more women are now firefighters, therefor my life is to be saved when a 5ft 5" woman carrys me out of a window ever her shoulder...?

Well then, that seems a little unfair, but get this, the women were demanding EQUAL rights! EQUAL. So, what do they do? They go out and make 'Diamond', the only car insurance JUST for women. That doesnt seem fantastically equal to me. But, men, we keep schtoomp, because we cant be bothered to argue. Woman howerever, if this was an advert saying 'Male onyl car insurance' or in other words 'Because its women who cause crashes and raise the rates', would get it banned. Now I dont mind the service, all I'm saying is Ladies, for god's sakes make up your mind, which is it you want, equal rights or privilages for different sexes?

Your veiws?
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:30
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
My views?

Don't set out a basis for discussion when you don't actually know what you're arguing about.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:31
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I agree completely with you. Men aren't allowed to have Men only clubs anymore, but women still have theres.
We had a Womens comittee at university. Imagine the outcry if there had been a Mens comittee.
But the same thing applys to any minority group or group that has been repressed in the past. Its called positive discrimintion, but that doesn't mean its not discrimination against a group of people.
Equal rights yes. But take things too far and common sense tells us things will be just as bad, but for different people.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:32
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Equal veiws or privilages for opposite sexes, I thought that was clear, sorry!
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:33
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Thanks Rosalind! Yea, a mens commitee would have been banned, or a law would be instated where woman can join...and the initiation process would be made easier.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:39
Regular
"I ush!"
Well, personally I agree and I disagree with what you are saying. I definitely agree with recognising the fact that men and women are different. Women have those squigy, stress relieving things attached to their chests and men, well, we have our stress relieving things too.

But joking aside, I don't see any problem with any woman doing any job the she is capable to do. Some jobs men are better suited to, but there will be some women who are better than some men at doing those jobs, and vice versa, but I was surprised to hear you say that they is some sort of quota for the fire service. This seems ludicrous to me, but surely it must be dependent on some percentage of women who pass certain physical tests. If this is the case then I don't have a problem. If it means that my life is in the hands of some 82 year old five foot nothing dear old lady, just because she was the only one who applied then yes. I do have a problem.

I don't have a problem with services made just for women because I don't really see that as discrimination. Well, clearly it is discrimination, but they're trying to improve a profit margin by cutting out the expense (or paying for men's claims) and also cutting their margin. That's their business decision, and it's not like they have the monopoly on all car insurance.

I don't consider myself sexist, or racist, or significantly discriminatory in any way I can think of, but I'm all for calling a spade a spade, a fork a fork and a hoe a hoe and acknowledging the fact that we are all different.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:40
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
In December new laws will be passed giving homosexual/lesbians the same legal footing that heterosexuals receive in the workplace. Just thought I'd mention it even though it has no real bearing on the thrust of the debate.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:41
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Hmm...I haven't seen you around the forums in a while Simon...

Or have I just gone blind?
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:41
Regular
"I ush!"
Rosalind wrote:

> We had a Womens comittee at university. Imagine the outcry if there
> had been a Mens comittee.

I think you'd probably find that if a guy wanted to join that comittee the university would have no choice but to let him, or form a Mens comittee too, for all the same reasons that we have to let gals play AF if they want to.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:42
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Thats fair enough Simon. But do you think if we had 'rock' men only car insurance, we'd get away with it? I personally wouldnt care, but i think alot of women (the ones who cared about otherthings) would.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.