GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratchets and Wookiee Monsters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ratchet and Clank 3'.
Mon 27/06/05 at 11:31
Regular
Ratchet and Clank 3 went platinum just recently. Being more of a fan of the Jak series, I had decided to wait until the price went down before looking in to Ratchet 3. According to reviews, Ratchet 3 was supposed to be better than Jak 3, a reversal of fortune after the Jak II vs Ratchet 2 match, but I wasn't quite convinced - despite advice from the extrememly knowledgeable monster of the wookiee variety.

Having now played the game however (even for just 10 hours so far), I have to say:

I.

Am.

Stunned.

Its fantastic! Absolutely awesome! The game is accessible for the kids, just about, particularly since kids these days are unnaturally talented when it comes to video games, but its clearly designed with adults in mind. There is a never ending stream of clever touches and things that make me go "Wow! That's such a good idea!!" I spent a couple of hours just fiddling around in Annihilation Nation taking part in the various challenges and death matches - superb! Even the Quark minigames and the new Infiltrator subgames are good fun to play (the Quark minis are made even better by some excellent comic book sequences between games).

Say again: Fantastic, awesome, brilliant, amazing! Thanks Wooks, I should have listened to you sooner!
Wed 06/07/05 at 13:11
"period drama"
Apparently, after you finish the game, you can play it through again and the weapons have another 3 levels you can upgrade them to. Which sounds excellent.

At the moment I'm being a bit cheeky and just keep running through the planet where the biobliterator is being charged up, smashing everything up with the massive-range smash you get with the bolt grabber, getting killed and starting again. You can get a good 60,000+ bolts each go - and I need as many as I can get for the ultimate suit of armour.

First year of uni, yeah, at Lincoln. Really looking forward to it, actually, can't wait. Got a really busy few months first though - my 18th, my mum's birthday, my driving test, moving house, settling in, going on holiday, get my exam results, getting ready for uni, actually going to uni ... phew ...
Thu 07/07/05 at 08:07
Regular
Ah, excellent! I look forward to going through it again for another three versions - can't imagine how powerful the weapons must become! Imagine the Annihilator with another three levels!

It sounds like you've actually moved ahead of me in the game now too - don't think I've gone to the biobliterator charing site. I'll look forward to that though and earning enough for the armour (I don't have that as an option yet, is it 75% or right up at 100%?).

Last night I was just touring the game a little and looking at previously unfinished levels (with titanium bolts still to get). Ratchet's nanotech reached maximum at 100, but I didn't achieve a whole lot else. Back to it properly tonight hopefully!

I hope you enjoy yourself at Lincoln though - most people do love their first year at uni though, so statistics are with you. What course will you be doing? Are you fairly certain you'll get in, or is there still a tough conditional offer to achieve? I remember the long summer wait for A-level results back when I was applying - it seemed to take forever. Of course, the second you have your results, the rest of the summer flies by and you're off to uni. Driving test should be good for taking your mind of things though!
Thu 07/07/05 at 15:38
"period drama"
I played for ages yesterday - I can do (what I expect is) the final battle now if I wanted. But I don't want to yet.

The armour is so cool, it looks like you do when you smash one of those orange boxes and go into Inferno mode. 80% reduction apparently.
Got about 750,000 bolts now towards it, 250,000 to go. Finally did all the sewer crystals, which helped a lot - very easy with the Quack-o-Ray, if a little tedious.

Also trying to get all my weapons up to max at the same time. The V5 Quack-o-Ray is one hell of a piece of kit.

Getting in to uni is no problem at all - I think I had almost enough points at the end of last year, actually. And the exams just finished were no real problem, so I should be all set to go.
I'm doing Games Computing there - as is gamesfreak from here, which will be a little strange, and one of my mates from here is doing Architecture there as well.
Thu 07/07/05 at 15:58
Regular
Very impressive! Hopefully I'm still a long way from finishing as its absolutely awesome fun. I might do a little this evening, but will save lots for the weekend. I'll definitely start saving bolts at this early stage though in order to afford the armour when it becomes available - your description certainly made it sound quite excellent!

Your uni course sounds like it could be very interesting! Do you aim to go into computer game development once your degree is completed? I guess its all the technical and programming side of things that you'll look at, but how ecstatic would you be if one of your units turned out to be "The History of Final Fantasy"!

I've always wondered what it would be like to meet somebody from the forums elsewhere in a different situation. I remember Dan2K suggesting a meeting but I don't know if it ever went ahead. I guess it'll be weird at first but may lead to a decent friendship.

I avoided all the computing units during my degree as much as possible, so I doubt our courses would overlap much, if at all, but there's probably some people in the computing department that may have similar interests. I don't know if any of their research interests include computer games.

Before I forget, have you tried Ratchet and Clank online? I am not connected up and probably never will be with a PS2, but reading the review on IGN a little while before buying the game, they certainly raved about it being one of the best online modes available so far. Would you agree or are you offline like myself?
Thu 07/07/05 at 16:07
"period drama"
It's a pretty wide course actually - mainly on the programming stuff, but it does go into other areas of game development like design and management, which I'm more interested in to be honest.

Hopefully going into the industry afterward, yeah - the 3rd year of the course is a optional placement year, which I'll be doing for sure. Hopefully get in with a well-known developer and get some good experience and / or a job for when I finish the degree off.

It will be very weird meeting gamesfreak, if indeed I ever do. I don't know his real name or what he looks like anyway, so we might be talking and not even realise we vaguely know eachother. Hmmm ...

[Edit - and no, I'm not online either. Did have a little go at the 2-player game, though, but it wasn't that good because it was just hunting eachother down and blasting until someone died. I'm sure it would be pretty good online though, jumping in all the vehicles and with all the cool weapons]
Fri 08/07/05 at 08:12
Regular
Good to hear the course has breadth as well as depth - the marketing side of things will probably be more closely related to what we know as being "games", but hopefully the programming will become interesting as well. If you did maths and computing, or even just maths at A-level then the programming should come fairly naturally I hope.

As for gamesfreak, you could e-mail eachother before the event and ask eachother's names, you're bound to bump into eachother. I can't imagine the course will have more than 50 or so people on it, but that is just a guess, I could be miles out.

Going back to Ratchet and Clank, I finally got round to it again last night. Just blew up the first Biobliterator thing and got coordinates for the command center on Mylon, but hopefully still a fair way to go. The armour is now available and is, as you said, offering 80% protection - looks excellent too!

On the 2P mode, I tried the assault mode (forgotten the exact name) with a friend, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. If you play on the same team its hopeless because the enemy doesn't seem to attack you, but not much better playing on opposite teams because its just a matter of wearing the other player down gradually until a winner is found. With a multitap it could be excellent, so I might see if I can find one for the new PS2s (my launch machinestarted skipping on almost everything so I got a PSTwo a while back).

One last thing on the uni stuff - do you get a guarenteed spot on campus (if its a campus uni) or are you going to be looking for a house? Either way is fun, but its always nice to have some time on campus first.
Fri 08/07/05 at 14:58
"period drama"
I had a little uni accommodation panic this week - they said the allocation letters get sent out during June, and I didn't get anything, not even a confirmation of my application so I was crapping myself whether it got lost in the post or whatever.

But apparently they just had a big admin cockup, and thing's are being sorted out now, so I'm feeling very relieved right now.

On campus, yeah - it's really good there actually, all the rooms are about 100m away from the main buildings, and about 80% of them are en-suite. You get a little flat-type-thing with about 6 other people and quite a big kitchen / living room bit plus a balcony if you're on the top floor.
Really can't wait to get going.

In R&C, I'm gonna have to finish it soon. I've got every weapon up to V5 except the Hydra and the shield-thrower thing, which I nver bothered with because they suck - I'll still level them up though, I'm sure.

Might as well try for the Skill Points I think - I've got 15 at the moment, and there's 3 more titanium bolts to get. After that ... time to kick some robot ass it seems.
Fri 08/07/05 at 15:03
Regular
"The Red Shift"
ssxpro wrote:
> I
> guess its all the technical and programming side of things that you'll
> look at, but how ecstatic would you be if one of your units turned out
> to be "The History of Final Fantasy"!

Ahahaha. It's like the cop pon all over again.

But yeah. I assume Games Computing is a blast and having a game like FF under your belt would be good.
:)
Fri 08/07/05 at 21:16
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Had a little spin on this earlier, got m'self up to 26.4 million bolts.
Sun 10/07/05 at 21:06
"period drama"
Finished - hurrah!
Done with all weapons at V5, all titanium bolts and all skill points as well.

Now ... just to do it again ...
Didn't realise you had to buy all the weapons again to get them up to V8, and they're bloody expensive. Good job you can get 20x multiplier on the bolts you get.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.