GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratchets and Wookiee Monsters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ratchet and Clank 3'.
Mon 27/06/05 at 11:31
Regular
Ratchet and Clank 3 went platinum just recently. Being more of a fan of the Jak series, I had decided to wait until the price went down before looking in to Ratchet 3. According to reviews, Ratchet 3 was supposed to be better than Jak 3, a reversal of fortune after the Jak II vs Ratchet 2 match, but I wasn't quite convinced - despite advice from the extrememly knowledgeable monster of the wookiee variety.

Having now played the game however (even for just 10 hours so far), I have to say:

I.

Am.

Stunned.

Its fantastic! Absolutely awesome! The game is accessible for the kids, just about, particularly since kids these days are unnaturally talented when it comes to video games, but its clearly designed with adults in mind. There is a never ending stream of clever touches and things that make me go "Wow! That's such a good idea!!" I spent a couple of hours just fiddling around in Annihilation Nation taking part in the various challenges and death matches - superb! Even the Quark minigames and the new Infiltrator subgames are good fun to play (the Quark minis are made even better by some excellent comic book sequences between games).

Say again: Fantastic, awesome, brilliant, amazing! Thanks Wooks, I should have listened to you sooner!
Mon 04/07/05 at 12:03
"period drama"
I just bought the Lava Gun, the Rift Inducer, the gun-turret one and the new suit of armour all at once. That feels good.

The rifts and turrets are amazing for the Annihilation Nation fights. I suppose having the agents of doom would help a lot as well.

Best thing about not buying all the weapons at once is that you get one up to max level really quickly. I had the machine-gun one (N60? can't remember) up to level 5 at the end of Holostar Studios, and I've owned everything including bosses with it since.

I'll probably wait for the map to get the sewer crystals, to be honest.
I wouldn't usually, but I got so extremely p!ssed off going through the tunnels with all those slime monsters everywhere, I can't be bothered to wonder around there for ages looking for the crystals.
Mon 04/07/05 at 13:07
Regular
Ah the Rift Inducer! A fantastic piece of kit! Totally perfect! Also, I don't know if this is just for higher versions or not, but if you put two next to eachother, one seems to absorb the other and produce a larger rift with a greater domain of attraction - although I might just be imagining it.

The lava gun seems okay, but its not one I use regularly. In the Qwarktastic battle at Annihilation Nation it came up a few times in the cycling weapons round, but that was it. More recent weapons include the Bouncer and some Pyro thing (can't remember the proper name, but it was from Slim Cognito again) and of course the Quack-o-ray - actually turning opponents into little yellow fluffy ducks.

Good choice on the sewer crystals though - it did take ages! One plus point though is that the music isn't too annoying over long periods. It carefully avoids any distinct beeping theme and goes for a more atmospheric tune that just happily loops in the background without grating too much.
Mon 04/07/05 at 14:41
"period drama"
Yeah I've just looked it up and apparently the rifts do join up at a certain version. I'm not there yet, though.

The lava gun is pretty useful when you're surrounded, you just keep going in circles and no-one can come near you.
Mon 04/07/05 at 15:03
Regular
To be honest, when surrounded, I would almost always choose the plasma whip. The later version even sends out a shockwave which helps even more. You're absolutely right about the gun turrets though - very useful in a big fight. I struggled with Scorpio the first few times I went up against him, but found that placing a few turrets around took the pressure off. Now its just a case of firing a few shots from the Annihilator.
Mon 04/07/05 at 20:17
"period drama"
I took him in about 20 seconds with the machine gun V5. Amazing.

Only just started trying to level up the Plasma Whip - it's a bit sucky in its first form, but pretty good at V3+ for some asskickery.
Tue 05/07/05 at 09:26
Regular
To be honest, if you don't like the first three versions, then you probably won't think much of the V5. Although it has an extra force wave, its essentially the same thing.

To encourage usage, have you done all the challenges in the gadget training area (opposite the trophy room on the starship). The little robos there are so clustered together when they first spawn in those tube things that a quick swing with the plasma whip knocks them all out - lovely.

Unfortunately, last night I didn't have a chance to do anymore on the game, so have discovered nothing new and exciting. I had to pack ready to move house today - another year at uni and another house to rent. Hope you have made lots of progress!
Tue 05/07/05 at 12:20
"period drama"
I hope so, but I kept getting my ass handed to me in Metropolis last night. I hate those big basts with the green laser guns ... then you get a two of them and a big flying tank thing shooting an endless stream of bullets at you.
Rargh.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get the Agents of Doom now and level them up a lot, then let them do my dirty-work for me.

I've got to sort out house-moving stuff today as well ... have to go into work and try and get a transfer because we're moving at the end of July. And then after about a month and a half there, get another transfer as I'm off to uni.
Tue 05/07/05 at 19:56
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Plasma Whip kicks all kinds of ass at V8.
Tue 05/07/05 at 23:35
"period drama"
Yeah, well, let me finish the game first, eh?

Did get pretty far today, actually. Finished the Phoenix attack and worked for a while levelling all my weapons up - including the Quack-o-ray and the Agents of Doom I just bought. Also got the bolt grabber, the map-o-matic, the PDA, the Nanotech holder thing and the warp gadget.
Wed 06/07/05 at 11:01
Regular
Is the plasma whip V8 something you only get after completing the game? I'm sure my weapons only go up to V5 then stop. The exp level on the weapons at V5 is always full, so I assumed they were maxed out. Have I been misled?

FFF, hope the moving goes well - we settled in last night and things seem to be going fine so far and I hope your move is similarly trouble free. Perhaps a little Ratchet and Clank tonight. Are you moving to uni for the first time, or are you a returning student later in October? Either way, have fun with the move!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.