GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratchets and Wookiee Monsters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ratchet and Clank 3'.
Mon 27/06/05 at 11:31
Regular
Ratchet and Clank 3 went platinum just recently. Being more of a fan of the Jak series, I had decided to wait until the price went down before looking in to Ratchet 3. According to reviews, Ratchet 3 was supposed to be better than Jak 3, a reversal of fortune after the Jak II vs Ratchet 2 match, but I wasn't quite convinced - despite advice from the extrememly knowledgeable monster of the wookiee variety.

Having now played the game however (even for just 10 hours so far), I have to say:

I.

Am.

Stunned.

Its fantastic! Absolutely awesome! The game is accessible for the kids, just about, particularly since kids these days are unnaturally talented when it comes to video games, but its clearly designed with adults in mind. There is a never ending stream of clever touches and things that make me go "Wow! That's such a good idea!!" I spent a couple of hours just fiddling around in Annihilation Nation taking part in the various challenges and death matches - superb! Even the Quark minigames and the new Infiltrator subgames are good fun to play (the Quark minis are made even better by some excellent comic book sequences between games).

Say again: Fantastic, awesome, brilliant, amazing! Thanks Wooks, I should have listened to you sooner!
Tue 28/06/05 at 18:54
"period drama"
Excellent. I've been needing some platforming / shooting amazingness for a while now.

Do I remember rightly that you can carry your weapons over from the other games? Is it from the 2nd one, or the 1st as well?
Tue 28/06/05 at 19:10
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
As the game progresses you can buy some weapons from the second game, but you get them freeeeee if you have them on a R&C2 save file.
Also you get a 10% discount if you have a R&C1 save file that did the second hoverboard race.
Tue 28/06/05 at 19:16
"period drama"
Yummy.
Wed 29/06/05 at 20:23
"period drama"
Got it today - most excellent. Not very far yet, but there's already so much to do and it all rocks.

A fair challenge as well - almost the perfect difficulty level, as you said. Enough to not let you just stroll through the place, but not so much that you die every 2 minutes and end up giving in.
Thu 30/06/05 at 09:52
Regular
Wahoo! Another one joins the ranks of Ratchet addicts! As I mentioned before, Annihilation Nation is something to look forward to as are the many varied weapons. Also, the point you mentioned just now about the difficulty of the game I totally agree with. Rather than just jumping on the heads of the nasties in order to beat them, there is often a lot more fun to be had in trying to take them down. For example, on a level I just started, which I won't describe (so as to avoid spoilers), there are some large flying robots with long range guns. The tactics then become quite fun. You can run at them all guns blazing, hide behind a rock and take potshots with an appropriate weapon, or get far enough away and hit them with the sniper rifle - and each approach is just as much fun!

I also think many of the Captain Quark features are very good, again, giving another example, the part where Quark says (and I won't complete the conversation here so as to avoid spoilers) "Does anybody know what this big red button does?" All very nice touches! Can't wait to get back to it!
Fri 01/07/05 at 13:11
"period drama"
Aye, it's all good.
I'm gonna have to choose between some new armour or some new guns now ...

Tough one. But guns are more fun, if less useful.
Fri 01/07/05 at 15:19
Regular
I did that too at first - always went for guns. However, after a while I tried the adamantine amour (50% protection I think) and that's turned out to be very useful - I'd recommend it.
Sat 02/07/05 at 22:55
"period drama"
Yeah, had to go with the armour in the end.
But now I've got 300,000 bolts and I just keep not spending it for some reason. I have no idea why ...

Don't those tiny moon levels just rock?
They're so cool ...
Mon 04/07/05 at 09:28
Regular
Wow! That was fast! You've almost passed me already! I only did the moon levels at the end of last week. They were indeed extremely good fun though and a very good idea. The first one was so small though it actually made me a little dizzy at first.

Ah yeh, before I forget - the sewer crystals in Aquatos - not too hard to find. I spent hours wandering around gradually picking one up at a time until I had 98, but couldn't find the 99th anywhere. Later I found a "map-o-matic" or something like that, which amusingly puts the locations of all remaining sewer crystals on your map. My point is: its great fun but quite a challenge if you don't use the map-o-matic, but very easy if you do. Take your pick.
Mon 04/07/05 at 10:57
Regular
Almost forgot - at Annihilation Nation, just did the Quarktastic Battle - excellent fun and a decent challenge. The nice thing about is was that towards the end, there are plenty of "cycling weapons" rounds so you don't have to worry about using up your ammo. A decent bolt total from that too - meant I could buy the Quack-o-ray and a few other bits and bobs.

On the bolt spending side of things, I'm the opposite to you FFF. The second I have it, I spend it on whatever weapons are available. The advantage I see there is that the sooner you get weapons, the sooner they'll be up to version 5. Can't wait to see what Agents of Doom look like in V5 - could be funny!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.