GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratchets and Wookiee Monsters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ratchet and Clank 3'.
Mon 27/06/05 at 11:31
Regular
Ratchet and Clank 3 went platinum just recently. Being more of a fan of the Jak series, I had decided to wait until the price went down before looking in to Ratchet 3. According to reviews, Ratchet 3 was supposed to be better than Jak 3, a reversal of fortune after the Jak II vs Ratchet 2 match, but I wasn't quite convinced - despite advice from the extrememly knowledgeable monster of the wookiee variety.

Having now played the game however (even for just 10 hours so far), I have to say:

I.

Am.

Stunned.

Its fantastic! Absolutely awesome! The game is accessible for the kids, just about, particularly since kids these days are unnaturally talented when it comes to video games, but its clearly designed with adults in mind. There is a never ending stream of clever touches and things that make me go "Wow! That's such a good idea!!" I spent a couple of hours just fiddling around in Annihilation Nation taking part in the various challenges and death matches - superb! Even the Quark minigames and the new Infiltrator subgames are good fun to play (the Quark minis are made even better by some excellent comic book sequences between games).

Say again: Fantastic, awesome, brilliant, amazing! Thanks Wooks, I should have listened to you sooner!
Mon 11/07/05 at 09:48
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I had a little uni accommodation panic this week

Sounds like its sorted now, so that's good. To reassure you, universities do often take every step they can to house all their first years. Here at Bath there are often too many first year students for rooms, but the university always makes sure they get somewhere, even if its off campus. If first year students were abandoned after getting told they would definitely have accomodation, then the university's repuation would suffer a terrible blow.

Six is a good size for your kitchen group though. Any more than that and things get a little too crowded and impersonal. If you're somebody who worries about cleanliness and routines though its possible you'll have to adjust a bit - you're almost certain to get landed with somebody who doesn't know what washing up means or that food goes on a plate not directly on the table (stuff like that).

Enjoy campus life while it lasts though - if, like in Bath, you have to move out in to town in your second year, travelling suddenly becomes a chore. Having said that, its nice to get into a good house group with just a group of friends rather than just people you were randomly selected to live with.

Well done on completing Ratchet and Clank though! I've just got to what I presume is the final Nefarious fight, but am going to do something similar to you and go round getting the last weapons, armour, bolts and skill points. I don't know how many skill points I've got though as I haven't really investigated the menus properly yet.

You mentioned the expense of the weapons - are they more than they were before, or is it just that they are available all at once? Or, alternatively, is it that they start at a higher level? Either way, it sounds like it adds to the lastability!

I've had Ratchet 2 for ages now but haven't completed that yet - after Ratchet 3 its back to 2 for a little more Ratchet fun. How about yourself, have you been through the whole series? I had the impression before that you have picked up at number 3 only.

Lastly, Clazon, cop pon?
Sun 17/07/05 at 22:19
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Me and a friend just completed R+C 3 and started on doing it again straight away. On the harder setting of course. The game is immense and very enjoyable.

*pwns the Quantum Whip
Sun 17/07/05 at 22:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
> I had a little uni accommodation panic this week - they said the
> allocation letters get sent out during June, and I didn't get
> anything, not even a confirmation of my application so I was crapping
> myself whether it got lost in the post or whatever.
>
>

All I've had is confirmation of recepit.

Nothing else

:S
Sun 17/07/05 at 22:21
Regular
"The Red Shift"
> Finished - hurrah!
> Done with all weapons at V5, all titanium bolts and all skill points
> as well.

Aha. As have I.

Although all skill points is a very impressive feat.

> Now ... just to do it again ...
> Didn't realise you had to buy all the weapons again to get them up to
> V8, and they're bloody expensive. Good job you can get 20x multiplier
> on the bolts you get.

In about 3-4 hours, we've already bought the mega versions of most guns, have many on levels 6 and 7 and are past the Thyrannoid planet.

It's actually really easy and I'm still waiting for it to suddenly get impossible. But we've been purposely evading armour upgrades (we have none). Having said this, most decent enemies are 2 shot killers. But still, it's easy.

*cop pon = popularity contest
Mon 18/07/05 at 11:13
"period drama"
ssxpro wrote:
> Six is a good size for your kitchen group though. Any more than that
> and things get a little too crowded and impersonal. If you're
> somebody who worries about cleanliness and routines though its
> possible you'll have to adjust a bit - you're almost certain to get
> landed with somebody who doesn't know what washing up means or that
> food goes on a plate not directly on the table (stuff like that).

Hmmm ... this is probably my main concern at the moment - who I get landed with. Knowing my luck, it'll be a bunch of detestable idiots, but we can but hope. Can't do anything about it until moving in day, of course, but still ... it's just a rather strange situation to be in, being thrown in to live and work with a group of complete strangers.

> Well done on completing Ratchet and Clank though! I've just got to
> what I presume is the final Nefarious fight, but am going to do
> something similar to you and go round getting the last weapons,
> armour, bolts and skill points. I don't know how many skill points
> I've got though as I haven't really investigated the menus properly
> yet.

Finished yet? I haven't really played for a while, but I got to the last level in record time and had bought every weapon and got them all up to V7 or V8.

> I've had Ratchet 2 for ages now but haven't completed that yet -
> after Ratchet 3 its back to 2 for a little more Ratchet fun. How
> about yourself, have you been through the whole series? I had the
> impression before that you have picked up at number 3 only.

No, I had the original one as well. Not the 2nd though - but I might pick it up now if I ever see it going cheap.

Looking back now, I much prefer the first one I think. The level design is so much better than 3's - every level had at least 2, if not more, paths to take from the start and the gadgets were used more effectively. And the story was better - had a better sense of adventure to it, as you flew to new worlds and met new characters. With 3, everything's already familiar to you, so the sense of exploration doesn't really stick.

Still a great game, though. If 3's weapons and extras could be moved onto 1, it'd be perfect.
Mon 25/07/05 at 08:09
Regular
I'm sure the kitchen group will work out okay - usually everyone is in the same position, not knowing what to expect or do, so there are rarely those who cause problems straight away. If you can put up with noise late at night and mess in the kitchen, then you shouldn't have any problems. If that stuff doesn't affect you, there will always be the sanctuary of your room.

On the Ratchet and Clank side of things, I haven't done much recently as I was away last week. I'm looking forward to finishing it off as the last thing I did was get the 80% protection suit. At the moment though I've started God of War as I was able to get home and give that a go. Excellent fun so far, if a little over the top.
Tue 26/07/05 at 19:22
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Just a quick question, if you don't mind. All this talk of R & C reminded me to finish off the original game and take the second one out of its' packaging. If you can cast your mind back to the original game - how do you spend your gold bolts? I'm just running around collecting the ones I missed earlier while trying to raise money for the RYNO but so far I haven't worked out how the hell you get the upgrades.

I don't want to skim a walkthrough 'cos I don't want to know about the ending and, knowing me, I would definitely read it and ruin it for me :(
Tue 26/07/05 at 19:27
Regular
"Mozzy"
Sold my PS2 4 weeks ago, so im looking forward to playing the PSP game 'Ratchet' which looks quite good. Could be the best platformer on the PSP.
Tue 26/07/05 at 20:29
"period drama"
Gold bolts are for buying gold weapons which you can only get after you finish the game once. But I think there's a few you can get before you finish the game - can't remember where, though.
Wed 27/07/05 at 10:33
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Oh, I have to finish the game, okay. At least I can stop worrying about missing a certain vendor and I must be almost at the end of the game now anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.