GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want to live in America! I want to live in America! and so on however the song goes..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/07/03 at 21:10
Regular
Anyway as you've probably guessed I want to live in America when I am older. The UK is far too conservative for my likings. New York has things on the High Street that aren't even legal here! Not to mention the fact that their are brilliant work opportunities if you have the right connections, enough money to get started and have a plan to achieve your goals. I really wish I lived in America...

Unfortunately they have strict anti-immigration laws and the only way I can think of to get a work permit in America is to either learn all their history and pass a citizenship test or to marry an American. At least I am a good candidate (W.A.S.P = White Anglo-Saxon Protestant).

What do you all think? How many of you would kill to live in America?:D
Thu 17/07/03 at 01:59
Regular
"8==="
lalakersrule wrote:
> Yay i was getting worried that there wasn't anyone having a go at
> America and it's standard of living in this topic, wondered what was
> happening to this forum usually they don't pass up having a go at the
> USA.

Yeah RoJ's reply to this thread were quite reasonable so I thought I'd fill in for him on this one. :D
>
>
> Having a go at American television? please we Brits haven't exactly
> been churning out quality programs have we? Big Brother? nuff said.

The Big Brother format was bought off a company based in Amsterdam right? Most of Channel 4's programmes bought from Europe have been poor. Euro Trash anyone? Good thing is it still beats anything on ITV in the last 5 years.

And to our credit we then sold such apalling ideas such as Pop Idol to the U.S.

>
> And what's wrong with the pledge of alleigance and being proud of your
> country?

Probably the entire southern American take on it. :D
Thu 17/07/03 at 01:28
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yay i was getting worried that there wasn't anyone having a go at America and it's standard of living in this topic, wondered what was happening to this forum usually they don't pass up having a go at the USA.

Having a go at American television? please we Brits haven't exactly been churning out quality programs have we? Big Brother? nuff said.
Last time we made a decent sitcom was about 1992 (not the only one who can make generalisations)

And what's wrong with the pledge of alleigance and being proud of your country? If we were as patriotic and not afraid to show our love for the country we live in (like we did during the last world cup, it was great to see the England flags being reclaimed from the yobs) then living here would be a much better place. Of course we need to find something to be proud of first but that's just a slight oversight :D

Anyway who cares i'm off to Canada :D
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:49
Regular
"8==="
cookie monster wrote:
>
> Yeah, but at least you aren't paying to watch crappy BBC shows.

Me pay? Oh and who invented the sit-com? Which country sluices out it's fetid sit-coms into the world? Dharma and Greg, Friends, Will and Grace, Caroline in the City, Ed,

Ok you've had some good ones. Third Rock from the Sun, Mork and Mindy, Scrubs, but these do little to cancel out the complete turrrd TV that emanates from America.

Jerry Springer, talk shows in general OH YEAH! (/sarcasm)
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:40
Regular
Yep, I want to live in Toronto, went there once and it's my favourite place in the world.

And Canada has an NHS.
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hedfix wrote:
> I still prefer the NHS. The TV (you get 1 min more on EACH ad break!).
> The people. The History and loads of other stuff.

Yeah, but at least you aren't paying to watch crappy BBC shows.
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:29
Regular
"8==="
Oh I forgot to mention the pharmaceutical companies wh*'re making some people into hypochondriacs. Loads of people are on pointless pills to remove a little bit of hair off their toes etc.

Madness.

(and the damn swear filter still thinks w-h-*'-r-e is a bad word! It's an abbreviation of "who are" if you add a ' you strange people!)
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:21
Regular
"8==="
The U.S. is generally accepted to be more conservative than England at the moment. They are much more fussed about etiquette and P&Qs.
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:20
Regular
"8==="
Whitestripes DX wrote:
>
>
> Yes, but there are good things.

definately I just put my evil slanted view of why I personally don't want to live there.
>
> Besides, that's why I only stay a little while and then move to
> Canada.

Been to Canada. A really nice chilled place, I'd recommend living near Toronto.
>
> All the good parts of American and Britain together.

I still prefer the NHS. The TV (you get 1 min more on EACH ad break!). The people. The History and loads of other stuff.
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Cubist wrote:
> The UK is far too conservative for my likings.

I'm not so sure, at least in comparison to the US. My girlfriend (Canadian but lived in New Jersey for 2 years before moving here) is endlessly shocked by the behaviour of the average young british person. We came up with a little phrase, "US people are all talk and no action, UK people are no talk and all action". Certainly is applicable to where she works and their social activities. :)

As for living in New York? You must be mad. :) Nice place to visit, horrible place to live in my opinion. And unless you hit it really big, your standard of living will always be better here. Having said that, its all about what lifestyle suits you, if the US suits you, why not. :)
I certainly wouldn't do anything permanent without an extended stay there though.
Thu 17/07/03 at 00:10
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Ok time for why I don't want to live there. (beware big
> generalisations coming up based on experiences).
>
>
> Having been to the states I found most Americans were just big kids,
> big kids with the right to own a gun.
>
> And the rest..

Yes, but there are good things.

Besides, that's why I only stay a little while and then move to Canada.

All the good parts of American and Britain together.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.