GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Some HHAT Comments - The Matrix"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/05/03 at 21:19
Regular
Yup, just saw The Matrix yesterday for the first time ever and here are a couple of things that went through my head.

It was simple, why was it made out to be so complicated?
Bullet-time was under-used
Hand to hand combat was rather crap
Tue 13/05/03 at 16:21
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I saw it much later than everyone else as well - and hand to hand combat is extremely slow. They're meant to be uber-fighters and it looks meticulously planned; I suppose it's slow to show us how they see it, as they're so damn quick, but it would've been better speeded up.

Also, has anyone seen the quote:

"It's a killing machine designed for one thing"
"Search and destroy"

One of the most stupid quotes ever.
Tue 13/05/03 at 15:33
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
froots am the winner.

*nods*
Tue 13/05/03 at 15:30
Regular
You're just like us now.

*prods*
Tue 13/05/03 at 14:55
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Haha.

Purple boy.
Tue 13/05/03 at 14:53
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
maddmun wrote:
> But still, he comes BACK to life, because she loves him?
>
> Puh-lease.

Actually, that's one of the few bits in the film that can be justified as making sense.

Neo is in the matrix and has just been killed, but he's only been killed in a virtual sense and is dying because his brain is accepting what's happening in the Matrix as reality. When he falls unconscious, stimuli into his brain will come from all available sources, both his neural tap and his ordinary eyes, ears and skin etc. As he's unconscious, he only registers any stimulation on an entirely subconscious level.

Now, when he's dying, Trinity is whispering in his ear that she loves him etc and he can't die. His subconscious latches onto this and compares it with the situation he was in before he died, the two don't mix. Now Neo knows that the Matrix is only a fabrication, he's starting to believe this when he learns to fight super quickly and do the jumping etc. When he's dying, he gets the sudden flash of inspiration that makes him believe it properly, the Matrix is nothing but a computer program, and he is a hacker. Thus he can control it. This allows him to realise that he is not actually dead and lets his brain reassert its control over his body.

So, he doesn't die and awakens in the matrix with the ability to control his surroundings.

However, the problem inherent with this solution to a terrible piece of melodramatic cinema, is that it should mean that Neo in the Matrix would be omnipotent. Anything that he wanted to make happen, could happen and nothing would be able to kill him. His power is shown by his flying at the end of the first film, but we know he isn't truely omnipotent or immortal because we see him fighting Agents in the trailer for the second film. If he had total matrix control capabilities, he'd destroy them with a thought and a flick of his hand, and he'd be ignoring them anyway because they could not kill him.

This would remove any chance the directors had for more speed-ballet fighting and bullet time sequences and limit them to only the fighting outside of the Matrix as the Humans try and regain control. This would not be as entertaining.
Tue 13/05/03 at 14:39
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Totoro wrote:
> Terminator 3 is the one I’m looking forward to most, simple
> unpretentious action with a charismatic star,

Arnie? Charismatic?

We talking about the same guy here?
Tue 13/05/03 at 13:50
Regular
They'll be crap
Tue 13/05/03 at 12:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yup, six special effects companies went bankrupt while working on the two new Matrix films, which cost around $300million to make. Also a large portion of the budget was spent on the final 20 minutes of The Matrix: Revolutions where I suspect a huge fight between the humans and machines takes place. Should be good.

Oh and I personally love The original Matrix as much now as when I did when I first saw at the cinema all those years ago, despite seeing a wave of crappy less original or exciting action films which rip The Matrix off. I can't bloody wait to see the sequels.
Tue 13/05/03 at 12:28
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> I saw it for the first time (all the way through) about a month ago in
> the Easter holidays.
>
>
> That doesn't make my opinion any less valid than yours, so don't try
> and tell me what I have to do and what I have to beleive.

It does kinda, at the time when it was released, it blew you away with the special effects, but now, it looks dated.

ANother side note about reloaded:

The Matrix had aobut 450 special effects.
Reloaded has nearer 1700.

Yay.
Tue 13/05/03 at 12:25
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> "The oracle told me, that I would fall in love with a dead man,
> and that man would be the one, so, you see, you can't be dead,
> because
> I love you"
>
> Errr, take out the dead man bit and your quoting is a little more
> accurate.

Really, she must breathe weird at that opoint or something because i've always thought it was dead man. And it confused me.

But still, he comes BACK to life, because she loves him?

Puh-lease.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.