GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The X-box 360"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/07/05 at 18:34
Regular
Really looking forward to this but I've been out of the loop so can you fill in a few details for me:

* Has a launch price for the UK been announced yet?

* X-box live, what's the pricing for it? I've heard of this silver/gold service, how does it work and what is the difference price wise? (If you know of course).

* On a scale of 1 to hell yes, is Perfect Dark O gonna be the greatest thing to grace the earth?

* Is it still due this year in Europe?

* Game prices... anyone know?

Who else will be snapping one up on day one?
Fri 22/07/05 at 11:28
Regular
Nice to see you on the ball there bullet.

Nintendo make more profit than both X-box and PS3 (not Sony and Microsoft) due to the massive sales in software.

The DS is the biggest selling system in Japan and during last christmas, even before the european release, Nintendo sold 3.5 million DS systems and a massive 4 million GBA systems (including Europe). In a few months! 7.5 million console sales and then add the amount of Nintendo software (almost everyone who got a DS got at least one Nintendo game) and poor sales of the Gamecube are easily ignored.

The handheld market is in boom time whilst the console market is in recession. And Nintendo have 2 amazingly performing handheld machines with another due this Christmas. Gamecube sales are terrible. There is no denying it. They are almost non-existant. But the DS is getting more and more popular (especially in Japan as it moves further and further away from the PSP).

So, if Nintendo are developing a home console system with the same idealism of the DS, then it could well perform outstandingly.

Nintendo make their money from their die hard fan base. Because they buy the system and the games they buy on them are 90% Nintendo games. Thanks to software Nintendo always do well.

As for the wireless thing I dunno what Nintendo are planning. I know there are talks of a cheap wireless router and there will be a cable option.
Fri 22/07/05 at 07:02
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> All Revolution have to do is tap into the new DS generation and it'd
> sell well.

Not exactly a big market though, is it? The novelty wears off sooner or later.

> Nintendo aren't creating a product to go against Netgear or Belkin
> but are creating a product that'll be designed especially for the
> Nintendo revolution. They don't care if Belkin outsell them, it's a
> cheap service that might even be bundled with the system!

Somehow I doubt they're going to provide a wireless solution to an entire household, bundled in with a console. And if they do bundle something in, I'd safely bet it'd be a USB device, meaning you'd have to turn your PC on to use the wireless network. Also, chucking it in with the console would undoubtedly increase the console price - a bit unfair for those already set up for wi-fi, no?

> Nintendo are also entering the movie bussiness.

Something tells me Nintendo are losing the plot. Struggling to succeed in one Market - their primary market, then not bothering with putting any more effort into it, just branching out into a new industry? It's mistakes like this that can kill a company - providing it fails, mind.
Thu 21/07/05 at 17:38
Regular
Nintendo are making films. They're not changing their status for games machines.

Take Bandai, Nintendo own part of this toy company. Just as they own "The Pokemon company" and a part own a card producing company.

They do a lot more than just make games. They make software and design concepts too that budding designers and software engineers have to pay Nintendo to use.
Thu 21/07/05 at 17:01
Regular
"8==="
Heh.

Last generation puffing: Nintendo "we're all about games, we don't do media"

Now: "Ok we've decided we do do media now and we're moving into movies"

Thu 21/07/05 at 16:57
Regular
All Revolution have to do is tap into the new DS generation and it'd sell well.

Nintendo aren't creating a product to go against Netgear or Belkin but are creating a product that'll be designed especially for the Nintendo revolution. They don't care if Belkin outsell them, it's a cheap service that might even be bundled with the system!

Nintendo are also entering the movie bussiness.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:42
Regular
"8==="
Microsoft don't **** around. :D
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:37
Regular
Maybe 'admirable' was the wrong word :P

the determination still stands though
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:32
Regular
"8==="
Bullett wrote:
>
> Xbox360 has [Edit] the admirable determination to come out on top,

Haha!

Read: "Endless mountains of money to throw at things".
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:22
Regular
They overcharged on the Wavebird when the technology was cheap.

Cheaper or not, Nintendo have a massive struggle to succeed this time. also, what you're suggesting is Nintendo are going into the wireless PC Network market - competing against Netgear, Belkin etc. Somehow I doubt there will be any point in that. Either that or they're going for some daft configuration attached to an existing wireless network, which is a waste of time and doesn't help the non-wireless customer get connected.

PS3 has the power and the fan base, Xbox360 has the untouchable online service and the admirable determination to come out on top, Revolution has a hell of a lot of work to do.
Thu 21/07/05 at 13:15
Regular
"8==="
Yep, Nintendo should be the cheaper option next time around.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.