GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life forum regulars - opinion please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 22:07
Regular
Hi people, I've been thinking of restricting certain users from entering the Life... forum, much like we do with the Future of Gaming (Prime) forum. So, say from tomorrow onwards, you'll only be able to post in the Life forum if you're a Regular. Whaddya say?

In a way, this is disappointing, because intelligent people can't just come straight in and start chatting about 'clever' stuff (like monkey_man's daily food intake) - people like Light have become integral parts of this forum's success, and he was at it form the word go - but I feel like I've been forced to this position.

Opinions?
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:46
Regular
How about having a forum where the notables can decided who's aloud to vote in there? That way anyone, regardless of their stats, if the post good enough stuff, could join in.

Anf anyone who posts complete tripe, regardless of their stats, can be kept out.

It may have been suggested before, 'cos I haven't read back through all the posts.
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:30
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I think its cool.

Those newbies who ARE good posters (Simon Says, Light etc) only have a little to do to become regulars.

I think SS needs 40 posts and 5 days, while light just needs about 40 posts.

They'll be back with us soon enough.

Or just make them regulars now.
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:29
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Goatboy wrote:
> ...bennies ...

Sorry, that made me laugh...

Anyway...

The newbies that aren't intellegent enough to avoid being smashed by Goatboy or IB in here usually leave of their own accord because of the smashing, but I still recon Life should be like Prime.

How about a new status between newbie and regular, say, honorary regular, where current regulars and noteables can elect people that don't have the wordcount to gain the status, which would allow them to access here and prime?

(if that makes sense...)
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:21
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Yeah you have quality newbies like Light and The Eternal Shadow (what a juxtaposition heh?) and then you have some sycophantic mongmuppets, who don't understand that that Life is bigger, it's bigger than you and you are not me, the things that I will....

REMember newbies, that going off in a tangent is all well and good but please have the decency to do so in style.
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:19
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Maybe in the future, before people sign up to become members of the forums they should have to undertake some kind of intelligence test, thus eliminating the so-called "windowlickers".
Perhaps it could involve writing a few coherent sentences without the use of text talk or bad syntax, or some other kind of secret society initiation test of deviant creativity.
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
One can but hope.

The problem is a handful of bennies giving "newbies" a bad name. Yet, strangely, the newer people to these forums with more than fluid in their skulls seem to find their way here and remain recieving little or no abuse for having a different coloured name.

I post drivel in Fog Chat, purely when I'm bored and feel like fishing. But 99% of my other stuff, as yours, is here and is about something in my head I find difficult to articulate to other people because they're not interested.

And personally, as a Notable, I'd take great delight in banning those that consistently ruin this forum back to the stone age.
Perhaps a charter can be set up, a resolution if you will.
Nobody posts 100% serious all the time here, but the regs (as in appearance, not word count etc) in Life don't mind because we all know we operate on a similar level. We may not agree on some things but at least there's debates.

And poetry, problems in life, stories, ventings, musings and all other things that make this the last remaining bastion of bipedery.

All are welcome, but we'll sniff out the spakkers and force them to undertake rigorous spelling tests, mental assault courses and hazings so wordy they'll wish they'd never heard the word "evolved"
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:58
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Discrimination based on the status of a fourm user. That's what you are suggesting, in the Life forum of all places.

Sounds good to me.
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:55
Regular
"I ush!"
Star Fury wrote:
> Life forum isn't just about long posts though, it just has to be about
> something that people may find interesting. I'm well aware many find
> posts on Iraq boring, but I don't, and whether I'm wrong, or right,
> doesn't matter so much as it's about hearing what other people have to
> say. Many of us - me included - don't talk about this kind of thing in
> real life because the people around us don't really care about it,
> which doesn't make those people bad people, it's just this is a place
> to sound off about things, but things others will find interesting.
>

True, and I totally agree. It's confession time. I've spent some time posting in FOG and Movies on the spam like threads (word association, what you're listening to etc) just to try and get my number of posts up so I can stop being new. I've heard people talking about whether newbie's are as accepted as regulars. Whether it's true or not I've been "artificially" inflating my post count to become regular, but I don't care about any of those posts. The only posts that I really care about are those that I've posted to try and get information (i.e. what games should I get for the GBA) or those where there is opportunity to discus a point. If Light wanted to he could so be regular. I've seen his contributions and look at the word count!. I've only been here 16 days but I really doubt that I would get the same sort of stimulation in the other forums. I'd be less inspired to write a reply or post a post if I didn't think there was anyone going to read it, think about it and give a valid opinion. I know that I probably don't really see the whole picture because I'm new, but I do think that people in other forums will still be the same people when (or if) they become regular.
They may even harbour a grudge because they haven't been allowed in here and flood this forum with rubbish.

Presumeably if that actually happened then they'd be banned?
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*SLAP SLAP SLAP*

Yep.
Seems to work.

Now, about that suck-mouth dolly I've been working on
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:45
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
"Great Scot!"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.