GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life forum regulars - opinion please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 22:07
Regular
Hi people, I've been thinking of restricting certain users from entering the Life... forum, much like we do with the Future of Gaming (Prime) forum. So, say from tomorrow onwards, you'll only be able to post in the Life forum if you're a Regular. Whaddya say?

In a way, this is disappointing, because intelligent people can't just come straight in and start chatting about 'clever' stuff (like monkey_man's daily food intake) - people like Light have become integral parts of this forum's success, and he was at it form the word go - but I feel like I've been forced to this position.

Opinions?
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Star Fury wrote:
> But then you'll have loads of newbies sucking up to you ?
>
> "PLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE make me
> a regular, my post titled XBox suckez!!11 was ace dude"
---

Which is why I am spending every minute I have researching and building a device that will allow me to Lawnmower Man my way down the innerweb to deliver a virtual b****-slap.

Like some deranged, anti-social Doc Brown that smokes, drinks and swears at children.
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:42
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Star Fury wrote:
> Ever since we seperated from Sport it's got more lively in here, but
> looking back over the past few days there are a lot of idiot topics,
> like harlequin parties, PC games e.t.c. Without being snobbish, they
> clearly are not the sort of topic people want on this forum !

I can understand topics about PC games not being here but surely one about harlequin parties only falls under the jurisdiction of the Life forum?

But I agree with what you said about GAD's. Ho-hum, that's life. The staff have the final decision in any case so they can give to to whomever they like.
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:41
Regular
"I ush!"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Simon Says wrote:
> like a child set loose in a candy store.
>
> American mentalist! What ever happened to "sweet-shop"?

Damn, I thought I might get picked up on that! I didn't think that anyone would actually post about it though.

American's do do football far better than we do though :)

that's just my opinion.
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:38
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Life forum isn't just about long posts though, it just has to be about something that people may find interesting. I'm well aware many find posts on Iraq boring, but I don't, and whether I'm wrong, or right, doesn't matter so much as it's about hearing what other people have to say. Many of us - me included - don't talk about this kind of thing in real life because the people around us don't really care about it, which doesn't make those people bad people, it's just this is a place to sound off about things, but things others will find interesting.

I really believe that more than any other forum, you find people on here posting because they want to, not because it's something they think will win them GAD. I'd rather see people like Light and Goatboy win for a post here, knowing they posted it because they actually know about and care about that topic, than someone whose sat and though "what can win me a GAD".

Ever since we seperated from Sport it's got more lively in here, but looking back over the past few days there are a lot of idiot topics, like harlequin parties, PC games e.t.c. Without being snobbish, they clearly are not the sort of topic people want on this forum !
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:35
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Simon Says wrote:
> like a child set loose in a candy store.

American mentalist! What ever happened to "sweet-shop"?
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:32
Regular
"I ush!"
I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but how about imposing a minimum words per post limit on newbies, so that if they want to post in here, the post must be sufficiently long.

Or perhaps newbies must have previously posted a certain number of words per post to actually get in here.

Having said that, it's still discrimination against newbies. Whether that is right or wrong is another issue. You'd probably get less incidents but I get the impression that a newbie who spends all their time in other forums once they become a regular will still be the same person, and may cause the same kind of trouble in here like a child set loose in a candy store.
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:29
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
But then you'll have loads of newbies sucking up to you ?

"PLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE make me a regular, my post titled XBox suckez!!11 was ace dude"

e.t.c.
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*lighbulb*

Hell yes. Makes being a Notable have some appeal other than being shouted at for "being so better than me cos ur name".
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:19
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
How about not allowing newbies in here, but allowing the notables the power to change their status to a regular, or they can recommend to the moderators that they go regular early, to gain access here?
Fri 14/03/03 at 09:15
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Ah...well. Okay then.

*heaves a sigh of exasperated tolerance*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.