GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell Or Metal Gear Solid ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid'.
Thu 20/10/05 at 13:02
Regular
"Get Off Me !"
Which one is better ?
Tue 25/10/05 at 10:29
Regular
"..."
Bullett wrote:

> Just accept that not everyone salivates over Kojima's games like you
> do.

I do accept this, that's why I haven't even began to discuss the story or the direction.

> Not one to troll, so don't take it that way, but I think Splinter
> Cell is the more realistic game. MGS is too 'staged & scripted'
> for my liking. And the gameplay is wooden.

That's your personal taste. Some people prefer a movie-like scripted game, and realistic games aren't necessiraly everybody's favourite.
Tue 25/10/05 at 10:18
Regular
[URL]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/GilGrissomCSI/potter_o_rly_owl.jpg[/URL]

Homosh, you're a MGS fanboy - there's no arguing with you because everyone else will be wrong in your eyes.

Just accept that not everyone salivates over Kojima's games like you do.

Not one to troll, so don't take it that way, but I think Splinter Cell is the more realistic game. MGS is too 'staged & scripted' for my liking. And the gameplay is wooden.
Tue 25/10/05 at 10:11
Regular
"..."
Hedfix wrote:
> Splinter Cell manages to be pretty cinematic whilst retaining it's
> realism and not breaking up the gameplay. You can simply knockout
> guards in SC3 as it improves your percentage at the end of the level.

But it's still nowhere near MGS. MGS is closer to being a movie rather than a game.

Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The only thing I found hard about MGS2 was keeping myself from falling
> asleep.
> Not only were the cut scenes some of dullest gaming moments I've ever
> laid eyes on. But the when you actually finally got to play the game,
> it felt like some kind of badly done and dated Playstation game.
> Homosh, you can wax lyrical about all the lovely details Kojima adds
> to his games and all the amazing character development and
> atmosphere. But when the core game play sucks harder than a gay man
> at a bl*wjob convention, to me that's not a good game.

That's the biggest fu**load of crap I have ever heard.
Tue 25/10/05 at 08:56
Regular
The only thing I found hard about MGS2 was keeping myself from falling asleep.
Not only were the cut scenes some of dullest gaming moments I've ever laid eyes on. But the when you actually finally got to play the game, it felt like some kind of badly done and dated Playstation game.

Homosh, you can wax lyrical about all the lovely details Kojima adds to his games and all the amazing character development and atmosphere. But when the core game play sucks harder than a gay man at a bl*wjob convention, to me that's not a good game.
Tue 25/10/05 at 01:53
Regular
"8==="
Splinter Cell manages to be pretty cinematic whilst retaining it's realism and not breaking up the gameplay. You can simply knockout guards in SC3 as it improves your percentage at the end of the level.
Tue 25/10/05 at 01:16
Regular
"..."
Hedfix wrote:
> Because it's realistic, fun and actually makes sense.

It's supposed to be a cinematic game rather than a realistic game.

>Which is why games that have a decent first person system usually
>give you a limited amount of ammo so you have to rely on stealth most
> of the time but if you do get into a fight you have a decent control
> sytem with which to take enemies out with.

The whole point of the game is not to get into a fight. You see, in MGS3 there are several ways to get past each area, and only one of them involves trigger cinematic-like events which lets you get past the area without being spotted and without killing anyone, like shooting the beehive, or walking through the tunnels in the mountains, or wearing the croc head, or wearing the scientist uniform, or the maintainence uniform in the final area, etc.. These secret ways are the ones that Big Boss was supposed to have actually used, and he wasn't supposed to be involved in a situation where you shoot the guards, except when it is involved in the storyline, that's why it's really easy to shoot the guards during escape scenes, and boss fights, as these parts have already been optimized for shooting. This may be complicated for some players, you know, people who want to "take enemies out", but who cares ? Kojima doesn't make Metal Gear so that a lot of people would play it, he just makes great games for people who can play them. And we mustn't forget that the Metal Gear series was basicly made for Japanese public, who were probably smart enough to play the game the way it's supposed to be played on their first time around. I had to finish the game several times to sort out all the secrets of all the areas.

> Same sort of thing in Splinter Cell, except with the added bonus of
> realism and fun.

Splinter Cell has CQC ? I never played Chaos Theory, byt if it has CQC then they're definitely ripping it off Metal Gear.

> Yeah boss battles.... great.

I wasn't talking about the boss battles, I was talking about the whole atmosphere of the game. There aren't that many games that have such a captivating atmosphere, certainly Splinter Cell isn't one of them..

Lukeman wrote:
> Haha...
>
> Have you tried playing Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. For
> the NES. VERY VERY hard!!!!!!!
>
> Edit: Incidentally, to all the MGS fans reading this, anyone know
> where I can get a bandana like Snake's? XD

I finished them both. I agree they're difficult, but if you think about it, you'd find that getting Big Boss/Fox Hound rank in the 3D ones is more difficult. The old ones didn't even have difficylty levels, and when MGS1 was released in Japan it didn't have difficulty levels, and the American release was the first Metal Gear title that featured multiple difficulties. Playing the original Japanese release was equivalent to playing the American/European release on the easy difficulty.
Mon 24/10/05 at 16:29
Regular
"You have a choice"
Haha...

Have you tried playing Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. For the NES. VERY VERY hard!!!!!!!

Edit: Incidentally, to all the MGS fans reading this, anyone know where I can get a bandana like Snake's? XD
Mon 24/10/05 at 15:24
Regular
"8==="
They were probably too immersive. :P
Mon 24/10/05 at 15:18
Regular
"You have a choice"
yuk i hate theif!

I dunno why, I just never got into any of the theif games, and I tried 'em all.
Mon 24/10/05 at 15:14
Regular
"8==="
Yes there's a Splinter Cell in the works for next-gen.

Thief 3 beats both MGS and SC anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.