GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell Or Metal Gear Solid ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid'.
Thu 20/10/05 at 13:02
Regular
"Get Off Me !"
Which one is better ?
Tue 25/10/05 at 21:13
Regular
"8==="
If it's an immersive game I like it when they have 'cutscenes' that are performed using the game engine rather than an FMV movie that breaks the immersion.

Ocarina of Time or Goldeneye for instance.

It's also cheaper which means more money cna go into the actualy game and gameplay rather than cash-consuming cutscenes.

I didn't find MGS2 to be immersive though so it didn't matter very much, except I really did want to get on with playing the game half-way through some of the cutscenes.
Tue 25/10/05 at 21:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Long cutscenes are fine in RPG's considering there's still about 30 hours of actual gameplay there, in MGS there isn't. You're lucky to get to about 5 hours of actual gameplay in a MGS game. That is what i don't like about them.
Tue 25/10/05 at 21:02
Regular
"You have a choice"
I know I'm a huge fan and therefore MGS can do little wrong....but I don't think there are many flaws at all. In fact, the ONLY thing I would improve is the complex controls. I think the gameplay, graphics, sound are spot on, and I even love the cut-scenes. I'm a leftoverw from the era that loved cut-scenes. Anyone remember a time where a FFVII FMV was a major reward? Anyone remember huge FMV sequences at the end of a game, like FFVIII, that made you feel like all your hard work was worth it?

MGS still has that attitude. I can't stand it when you play a game through (especially something like FF where it takes you 30 hours+) andf it gives you this piddly little scene at the end and your done (cough...Final Fantasy X and X-2...). It just...doesn't feel right!

Even in something like PES, winnign a trophey hasn't been the same since PES2, where you got a nice rendition of "we are the champions" and.."highlights" from the final.
Tue 25/10/05 at 21:00
Regular
"8==="
And Thief 3 still beats both of them.
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:59
Regular
"8==="
Emitime wrote:
> So they fixed the horrible parts that made the first two games dull?

You can charge through most of the levels knifing everyone it's great.

Co-op's a blast too.
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:54
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Both are great. SC is a little more action orientated.

Both have stupid annoying flaws and suck in some respects.
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:52
Regular
"\\"
So they fixed the horrible parts that made the first two games dull?

Hurrah. But MGS has always been great (imo).
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:50
Regular
"8==="
Chaos Theory's the best one.

Also explains why you're complaining about the "Don't use lethal force" sections of the old games.
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:47
Regular
"\\"
Hedfix wrote:
> Played Chaos Theory much?

Not at all.

After the incredibly dire Pandora Tomorrow, I couldn't be arsed with SC anymore.
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:30
Regular
"8==="
and no doubt more were taken from Thief.

Ever played Operation: Winback? It's the Konami title that really should have eclipsed the MGS series.

[URL]http://ps2.ign.com/objects/015/015475.html[/URL]

One of the few N64 titles I bothered to keep with me when I moved.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.