GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forlan v Arsenal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/12/02 at 13:44
Regular
Diego Forlan. After scoring twice against Liverpool on Sunday, if he never scored another goal again, he'd still be forever a hero to Man Utd fans.

But he has scored again. Only a Worth-Nothing cup game, but they all count, as Dudek well knows. Forlan is finally finding regular scoring form, and his confidence must be soaring now. But this weekend will put him to the test. Once again he will be called upon to perform at the highest level.

Personally, I stand by my predication that Utd will struggle to get any points from this game, but should Utd win, and should the winner come from one Diego Forlan, I think we will see Forlan become a 20 league goal per season striker, no problem.

He has the potential. Anyone who's even briefly viewed Forlan's history at Independiente will know that he can really bang them in.

6 goals so far this season may not be the highest goalscoring ratio, but it puts him a far cry from "Diego the Dud" who had been struggling to get anything at any level.

No, Forlan is on form, and after this weekend, he could be right up there with some of the best strikers in the Premiership. This weekends game will be interesting if only to see who scores the goals. Van the man? Henry? Wiltord? Forlan? Solskjaer?

Henry, Nistelrooy and Forlan are all on form. It's going to be a damn good game!
Thu 05/12/02 at 10:58
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Wookiee
---------

Spartak Moscow were officially the worse team in the Champions League this season because they lost every game - the only team that Liverpool managed to beat :)

Basle were one of the upcoming surprises in the Champions League and were a difficult team to beat.
Thu 05/12/02 at 10:52
"Darkness, always"
Roughly translated:

Arsenal beat Roma = Arsenal are amazing having defeated a second rate serie a side.

Man Utd beat Liverpool = both teams are crap, despite being arsenals main rival for the premiership title.

Maybe it's just me, but it just won't compute. You're talking like it's a foregone conclusion that Arsenal will win the premiership, and there is no challenge for you.

No challenge for you despite the fact that you've lost 3 premiership games already this season. I think you need a reality check. Arsenal aren't running away with anything. Imagine, Arsenal hiccup their next two games, it's perfectly conceivable they could end up 5th in the premiership.

Two games away from not even being in line for next season's champion's league hardly constitutes runaway victory. Yes, arsenal have a great team, but not so great that you can't be beaten - as your record already shows - and certainly not so great that you can expect the premiership to lay down and let you win anything.

Get your head out of the clouds.
Thu 05/12/02 at 09:57
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Insane Bartender wrote:
> Basle, a team in the 2nd round of the champions league, not quality
> opposition? What a load of crap.
>
> No, again, it's not crap. They were - OFFICIALLY I believe - the
> worst team to be in the Champion's League this season.

I believe that was Spartak Moscow!

Basle were nobody before the comp began, but you have to be a half decent team to knock celtic + Liverpool out. Plus they got two argentines up front :P
Thu 05/12/02 at 09:26
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'll just point out now that I'm in Nottingham all of this weekend, and therfore won't be posting here at all.

Should United lose, I might get accused of 'hiding' otherwise.
:D
Thu 05/12/02 at 03:29
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

1:(You can't deny that Arsenal have been erratic recently.)
---
But we're not talking about Arsenal, are we? We're talking about whether Man U have beaten any quality teams recently, and the answer is 'no'. Liverpool of late are not a 'quality' team in terms of performances
----------------

Liverpool over the past few games haven't been as bad as you suggest. It's a simple fact that teams have found a "confidence weakness" in the side, and pray on that by forcing Liverpool's hand by putting Liverpool on the back foot; Liverpool for some reason lately, seem scared of going forward.

2:(But you did lose to Southampton less than a fortnight ago.)
---
Indeed, but we lost while playing quality football, and were only denied because of some excellent defending - something which United can hardly be accused of lately!
-----------------

If you saw Liverpool against Sunderland, then you wouldn't be saying "Liverpool of late are not a 'quality' team in terms of performances". ;)
We were crushing them with an embarrasing amount of shots/possesion, but the bit of luck we needed wasn't there to make the ball go in the net. So by those standards, we are on Arsenals level.

(Don't take offence to that last part Wookie, I know how great you think your team is :D )
Thu 05/12/02 at 02:39
"High polygon count"
VenomByte wrote:
> You can't deny that Arsenal have been erratic recently.

But we're not talking about Arsenal, are we? We're talking about whether Man U have beaten any quality teams recently, and the answer is 'no'. Liverpool of late are not a 'quality' team in terms of performances

> but you did lose to Southampton less than a fortnight ago.

Indeed, but we lost while playing quality football, and were only denied because of some excellent defending - something which United can hardly be accused of lately!

> Any particular reason to think that Arsenal will be at the top of their
> game at Old Trafford?

Just a few, yes!

> If not, we're quite happy to beat you

Well, it would be a rarity, so no doubt you'd enjoy it!

I'm not saying for a second that Arsenal WILL win on Saturday, but the odds would seem to be in favour of it.

Anyway, for anyone interested, Arsenal.com currently has some head-to-head OPTA stats for both Arsenal v Man U and Henry v RVN.
Thu 05/12/02 at 02:34
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Wookie is being a bit of a fanboy of late.

Ha! That's rich coming from you!

> Liverpool not quality opposition? What a load of crap.

No, it's not.

> Liverpool have always been one of the best teams in the country

Yes, but their form at the moment is dire.

> Remember we are talking about a team that is only 4 points
> shy of Arsenal themselves.

Yes, and only on their form of a month or so ago. Liverpool have been unusually poor for a number of weeks now - 3-0 down to Basle, out of the Champion's League, and having lost several games in a row. The Liverpool you beat - while the team does have quality - are not performing like a quality side. One of my best friends is a life-long Liverpool supporter, and in his very own words this Monday evening, Liverpool "are so f***ing crap at the moment that I don't like to admit I'm a supporter".

> Basle, a team in the 2nd round of the champions league, not quality
> opposition? What a load of crap.

No, again, it's not crap. They were - OFFICIALLY I believe - the worst team to be in the Champion's League this season. You don't want to admit it, though, because it doesn't tie in with your attempt at talking up United's success over them.

> Sure, they aren't world beaters, but
> scoring 3 goals against liverpool speaks for itself.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't. Liverpool started their run of poor for form against them, and were in the midst of it for the 2nd game.

> Let's remember that until the 3-1 win over Roma - a team that are very
> much struggling domestically - Arsenal were performing poorly also.

We performed well against Roma, whatever your misguided opinions tell you. We weren't at our best defensively, but we played well. Roma turned in a perfectly respectable performance - one which I'm fairly would have demolished either Liverpool or Man U.

> 12 goals in the last 4 games is not an unimpressive
> strike rate.

No. But when you take into account that 5 were against a stuttering Newcastle defence and 3 against the worst team in the CL, it sounds far less impressive.

> and if they go to Old Trafford expecting an easy ride,
> they'll get trampled on.

I'm pretty certain they won't be doing that.

> Christ, you talk like Man Utd are a conference outfit.

Only because they've been playing like one recently!

> We're the most dominant team in the history of the
> premiership, and you underestimate us at your peril.

Yes, you have been - but I don't think it's unfair to say that the current side is not as good as the ones that have gone before it. And it seems to be true what they say - some Man U fans memories really don't go back to the time before the 90's and the Premiership.
Thu 05/12/02 at 01:21
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"

*ahem*

Anyway, you took me away from my original point. :P

IB is right. Regardless of form, or much else; all the teams Man Utd have beaten in the past few games ARE good.

He's pretty much said everything else which I could say.
Thu 05/12/02 at 01:16
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Do you scousers not know the difference between speak and type?

Morons!

;-)
Thu 05/12/02 at 01:14
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Er...

*ahem*

Of course I mean type, I was...er, joking.

(Yea, that's it.)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.