GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If we DO lose Rare, will YOU buy an X-Box??"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/09/02 at 15:07
Regular
Personally, if Rare announced today that all their future titles will be on X-Box, I wouldn't rush out and buy one tomorrow. For me, the X-Box really is very unappealing. I used to want Halo, but seeing as it's now coming out on PC, I'm not bothered about that. There are no games I want, I curse that 'controller' and it's just so damn ugly! (Those are all my own opinions, so no X-Box fanboys please).

I tells ya, Rare's games would have to be REALLY special for me to buy an X-Box, and even then, I'd wait till it's reduced to about £100.
Wed 11/09/02 at 17:39
Regular
"gsybe you!"
While Rare are excellent developers, Nintendo are better, and of course, if I had infinite resources, i probably would buy an XBox. However, I can't see Rare doing any 'better' on the XBox, making more money, and I feel that Microsoft won't be so happy with the years of waiting for so few games.

But meh. Its not confirmed...yet. Hopefully it will be denied of course.

:)
Wed 11/09/02 at 17:39
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I can't afford an Xbox anyway. And I ddon't find I have as much time to play games as I used to... though when Mazza Sunshine comes I suspect I'll be making some time... similarly with some other titles (including Starfox Adventures I might add). Losing Rare WILL be a big loss. How many times have we all thought of the prospect of online Perfect Dark? It is a perfect title for online play. Maybe Rare wanted to go online but were annyed at Nintendos apparent fall behind in the online race. I spose that could've been a factor... Anyway, that said Rare do make great games at times, but they aren't all that consistent. Granted I cannot remember playing a bad game from them, but certain N64 games (DK64 to an extent and Diddy Kong Racing) weren't exactly great. DK64 had elements of greatness, but never quite pulled it off. Still, Rare were a great developer and I think Starfox will prove they still are, and I think Starfox will hold a special place for me if it is Rare's last Nintendo game.

But here is the question I pose. Will this relationship last? Many people have said MS aren't likely to put up with too many delays. I mean Starfox Adventures was originally due for release on N64 (as Dinosaur Planet). And also the issue of technical support, Ninty DID give Rare help when needed and helped them get the best from the N64, and probably had Cube dev kits way before most developers. Will MS demand games more frequently and not offer so much support? If so, this will undoubtedly mean not so much polish can be added to titles. I doubt it will make them bad, but not so good. Not groundbreaking like some Rare titles have been. Of course we have yet to see how MS will treat Rare differently. They could well put up with the delays like Ninty, that is yet to be seen. But it would take something extremely good to make me buy an Xbox. And even then I'd probably wait till the next gen of consoles come out and then get an Xbox... (then I could be 'retro' and 'old skool')... ;-)
Wed 11/09/02 at 17:48
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Maybe Rare are changing their ways. Instead of holding on to a game until they're satisfied it meets their standards, perhaps they're gonna do an 'EA' and churn out the titles to rake in the hard stuff. Would certainly explain why they're on a employment push to get the number of staff up to 250.

Seems unlikely, I know, but 12 months ago, would YOU of imagined Rare making games exclusively for X-Box??
Wed 11/09/02 at 18:21
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I'm getting quite fed up with Rare now!

Their games might be amazing when they come out, but they just never bother bringing them out very often!

Well I guess that's why some companys keep releasing substantial pap quite often, but Rare release really good stuff with HUGE gaps between releases.

Thinking about it though, you could just blame Nintendo!
Dinosaur Planet was nearly finished and going to be released on the N64 until Nintendo made them use Starfox characters instead. And so now, we've had to wait years more for the game!

Dam Nintendo!

:)
Wed 11/09/02 at 18:31
Regular
Sibs wrote:
Losing Rare WILL be a big
> loss. How many times have we all thought of the prospect of online
> Perfect Dark? It is a perfect title for online play.

I haven't. Besides, Goldeneye was better than Perfect Dark. Rarely do sequels turn out to be better than the original, and the next PD will be the third now..and when you take into consideration the amount of brilliant Rare developers etc. that left to become Free Radical.

And one game doesn't make a console.

>
> But here is the question I pose. Will this relationship last? Many
> people have said MS aren't likely to put up with too many delays. I
> mean Starfox Adventures was originally due for release on N64 (as
> Dinosaur Planet). And also the issue of technical support, Ninty DID
> give Rare help when needed and helped them get the best from the N64,
> and probably had Cube dev kits way before most developers. Will MS
> demand games more frequently and not offer so much support?

Not forgetting that developing a game for the X-box is completely different from developing a game for the Cube. And Rare have never worked on another console..
Wed 11/09/02 at 18:40
Regular
"Unretired"
I was planning to get a X-box with all my christmas money not long ago.

Then I purchased tonnes of GC mags and then it hit me... "Wait a minute, wouldnt it just be better to use all that X-box money on all the new games set for release by christmas?"

I've never seen such a huge rush of games being released in just three months before.
Wed 11/09/02 at 18:52
"The Will of D."
That's the spirit!
Wed 11/09/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Unretired"
Yep, just wish I had enough money FOR THEM ALL!!!!

MUAAHAHAHHAHA MUAHAHAH

ahem
Wed 11/09/02 at 19:02
Regular
There's no way this wuld tempt me into buying an Xbox, it's not worth forking out the cash to get a console that has a Rare game come out like every year maximum. I don't enough time to play gakmes as it is so owning 2 consoles would be a complete waste of money. With all the games coming out on the Cube I'd never have time to play on 'em both.
Wed 11/09/02 at 19:05
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I'm not so sure, if they released a Banjo Kazzoie exclusive I would probably be swayed to buying one, BK games were amongst my favourite games ever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.