GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory Lane - What did or do you love about Nintendo?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/11/05 at 20:01
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Just a short post from each who wish to air their views on Nintendo. Why are you such a fan? What is your favourite game and why? How did you become a Ninty fan? What is it that keeps you a loyal supporter? How do you feel about the direction Nintendo have been taking or are taking in the future?

Its just a bit of fun for those Ninty fans out there!
Tue 15/11/05 at 16:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Before my NES I was playing games on a BBC Micro and Commodore 64. Anything that had games, I played it. I've just always been a gamer - I learned Maths from Olly the Octopus and spelling from a stickman in a bloody canoe.
Tue 15/11/05 at 16:41
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Before the NES and SNES were out we had a Colecovision in our house.
My God what fun we had playing that - and for hours on end. Week after week we played it and the rivalry between us brothers was immense - scores on games were there to be beaten!
Games such as Miner 49ER (Ithink thats what it was called) were played until the cartridge was burning red with heat!!

The mention of graphics didn't come into it and we didn't care either - we played it because it was fun, it was new and it was exciting. Trying to get to that illusive 12th level was the be all and end all in those days!!
Tue 15/11/05 at 16:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah but then I was a young kid and I loved games. I wasn't really at an age where I took into consideration that reading about games would ruin so much.

I enjoyed playing games and oneday saw these mags on the shop shelves and thought "Wow ! I can read about games as well as play them !" Even if I were to give up reading mags (which I practically have cause I rarely buy them now thanks to the price and the whole just repeating 2 month old news from the internet), theres no way you can escape all the hype and news on the internet, etc.

Plus I've been around on here for ages and I've gotten used to chatting to quite a few guys on here. One of those whole Dark Side situations where you screw up and theres no turning back once you have. ;-)
Not really an individual I can chuck into a big hole to make up for it either - although its an attractive thought to be able to throw Ken Kutaragi down one.

Oh well, theres always the memories. ;-) The Streetfighter 2 tournaments during school years will always go down as legend amongst me and my friends. ;-)

I wasn't great with joysticks at arcades (never really liked them), but I was unbeatable on the SNES and Megadrive versions. ;-) I lived and breathed that damn game for years. I'll always be haunted by that Gamesmaster show when they had an SF2 tournament going and I didn't even know it - I was too busy beating everyone on the pods scattered around. ;-))

The 2 finalists really stank (they showed it on a huge screen at the end) and when this kid finally won the match, the list of prizes they handed to him seemed endless. I was about ready to go throw myself off a bridge on missing out on all that. Didn't help with my cousin being like "wow... you woulda won that so easily !" Yeah thanks Chris.... ;-)
Tue 15/11/05 at 15:58
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Smedlos wrote:
> So true but unfortunately that's the way it is. Hopefully it will pay
> off and Nintendo will reap the rewards of being innovative.

But people are fickle.
Try telling that to those who can't wait for the next (yawn) installment of GTA/Metal Gear Solid/Crash Bandicoot/Resident Evil/Gran Turismo......and on and on and on.............

Innovation can be a real money spinner - but it could also lead to the downfall of a company!

Here's hoping that Nintendo get it right this time!
Tue 15/11/05 at 15:51
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
N64 Fan wrote:

> The main problem, and like everything else these days, is its all
> about profits and how much money can be made. Companies churn out
> game after game after game now and the originality isn't there -
> except Nintendo.

So true but unfortunately that's the way it is. Hopefully it will pay off and Nintendo will reap the rewards of being innovative.
Tue 15/11/05 at 15:16
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
English Redneck wrote:
> Anyway, rant over - sorry.

I agreed with everything you said actually. The only thing I would say is that no-one made you buy the magazine and no-one made you read the reviews, but that said, I agree.

The main problem, and like everything else these days, is its all about profits and how much money can be made. Companies churn out game after game after game now and the originality isn't there - except Nintendo.

Shops have hijacked everything, from Christmas to Easter, to Halloween to gaming! It's all about grabbing cash from as many people as possible.

The excitement has gone because in those days gaming was exciting, it was new and fresh.
Tue 15/11/05 at 14:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Why are you such a fan? What is your favourite game and why?

The originality of their games.

How did you become a Ninty fan?

After being bought a SNES many many years ago.

What is it that keeps you a loyal supporter?

The originality of their games.

How do you feel about the direction Nintendo have been taking or are taking in the future?

Quite positive really, much better than the last few years.
Tue 15/11/05 at 14:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Some of my best gaming memories are when I owned Nintendo systems. I loved my NES and SNES. ;-)

Probably have a whole bunch of people wondering what the hell I'm on about, but it was like Nintendo's best years, where graphics, hi def and surround sound didn't matter.

I hardly ever got any magazines - buying new games was like a great day out - I'd look at all the boxes in Toys R Us (well, the plastic strips that showed a pic of the front and back of the boxes) and pick what one I thought was best. :-)

I didn't get introduced to the likes of Castlevania, Zelda and Probotector (Contra) from magazines raving about how everyone has to buy them and reveal about 3/4 of the content of the games. Everything I got was a gamble from liking stuff like the characters on the boxes or what I read on the back. It all had that exciting moment about it where I knew nothing of how it played or what I'd encounter in the game.

There was nobody saying "that games crap cause its graphics are poor", because back then any good graphics were like some special bonus. I'm not ashamed to say as a kid, I was really in awe when I saw the waterfall on the Zelda title screen and the still pic of Gizmo early on in the Gremlins 2 game.

When writing up my Christmas list, I would goto shops like Toys R Us, look at the boxes and write down a bunch of titles I liked the look of. The only game I ever got which I didn't like on my NES (which I didn't really choose) was Marble Madness.

Then the SNES came out and for the first year, I was still pretty much going on my own gut instincts when picking new games - which is how I was introduced to F-Zero. :-) Then more magazines started to pop up and I started to get one or two with my pocket money. From there, mags started to dictate my game choices and although the SNES remained great for me, with later consoles, the whole excitement shopping for new games drifted off, cause I already knew how everything was going to play, what bosses to expect, etc.

The only time I really seem to get excited when actually going out to buy new games and stuff now is when its a console launch. Of course I've slated Nintendo on here plenty of times, but thats because I feel they're making stupid mistakes at times that will lead to them going the way of Sega. The XBox has given me loads of games to enjoy, but no matter what system I buy, nothing will ever compare to the years I was playing my NES and SNES. Mags, big graphic enhancements and the internet have taken away the excitement of it all.

I've had to force myself away from most 360 pages on sites cause they seem hell bent on ruining every surprise in every game before anythings released. "OMG !!!111!!! A Halo character in DOA4 !!!111!!!" - I don't want to bloody know !

"Heres every level in Kameo, watch this movie as one of our staff completes the whole game and shows you every character". Just doesn't compare to the situation of seeing it on the shelves and thinking "Kameo... looks interesting, I'll give it a look" - and then seeing everything for the first time from your own experiences - from the controls to the credits at the end.

Anyway, rant over - sorry.
Tue 15/11/05 at 10:12
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Yeh i've got that far but can't seem to get the damn block down on his head!

Oh well, will keep on trying - it takes so long to get to that point in the level that it's too easy to just give up!

It's Perfect Dark for me tonight by the looks of things!
Mon 14/11/05 at 22:54
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
It did take me ages to complete this level as well, but not that long!

The hardest thing I thought was finding the section of destructible wll so you culd get into the sanctum, and once I'd eventually found it, the Skedar Leader was hard until the glow from the spikey thing caught my eye once.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.