GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game survey taken in USA, Xbox is Fave"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
Taken from www.officialxboxmagazine.co.uk: -

"The results of the largest survey of gamers this year has revealed that Xbox is the top console of choice this Christmas.

Over 12,000 US gamers were asked, "What console do you plan to buy in the coming year?" and 39 percent answered Xbox! 27 percent answered PlayStation 2, and 17 percent plan to pick up a GameCube.

The study also showed that game demos are the most influence over game purchase decisions. When asked "Which of these items highly influence your game purchase decisions?" nearly 8 out of 10 respondents (78%) ranked game demos the number 1 factor, far ahead of the number 2 response: game reviews (47%). Both television commercials (35%) and magazine ads (31%) trailed furthest behind as drivers."

Not bad eh?
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:59
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Nomad Soul wrote:
> The "significant" XBOX titles are just around the corner.
>
> And they have been for months - that's my complaint - not about the
> machine, but the ridiculous amount of time we've had to wait.

Ah, it's the wussy publishers' faults - they're scared of releasing their good games during the summer months.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Its ok Wookie, didn't mean you in that last comment. ;-) As for the flow of games - I know its taken awhile for the next big titles to arrive, but the same can be said for the PS2. The PS2 launch was pretty dire and Gran Turismo was the first big title to come onto the machine around 6 months after the consoles release.

Its hard for me over the next few months cause I've gotta get back out to the U.S for Christmas so I'm in the process of picking games off my list that are the most important. ;-)
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:57
Regular
The PS2 doesn't hold a candle to the class of the Dreamcast, but as usuall people trust what the people at Sony promised, but sadly as Strafex said the first AAA title was GT3 and it was so boring to play! I will have to pick Strafex up on comparing the PS2 to the Dreamcast, Shenmue's 1+2, Skies of Arcadia, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Virtua Tennis, Sonic Adventure + Loads of other top great titles, the PS2 doesn't compare to what Sega did with the Dreamcast, sadly though people waited for the PS2 and to me it just didn't deliver. 8 of my school friends who are into consoles all got PS2's and we all talked about the sub-standed quality of it, now none of them own a PS2! 6 of them have got GameCubes and 2 Xbox's, the disappointement of nothnig to purchase was annoying and I had to sell!

Amped contains NO racing at all which was a pleassnt change when I rented it, I bought it the other day though abut I aren't allowed it until my Birthday in October.

Wookie, there is no point in me writing a big list of Xbox games again because it is a waste. Go to IGN and read previews of whats coming out, I can guarentee that after reading a few you will be getting excited about Xbox games, but I can't do anything else from this end, you have to do the rest yourself! As I said though you will be best selling it, I want 32 games before christmas and they are first rate titles, you should know by now that I am picky! If you want the list you can have it, but to be honest if you wanted value for money then you need to do the researching that I do, that way you would be excited instead of complaining about it all the time.

One last thing, if you think the Xbox is short on great games, what makes you want the PS2? Over hyped and Over rated, Tekken 4 is the only game out between now and chistmas that will be a AAA title, doesn't that disappoint you as well? You can't really quote Stuntman because Buffy has scored higher yet you are questioning that.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:52
"High polygon count"
Nomad Soul wrote:
> The "significant" XBOX titles are just around the corner.

And they have been for months - that's my complaint - not about the machine, but the ridiculous amount of time we've had to wait.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:48
"High polygon count"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Am I the only one wondering why all these arguements have popped up
> about opinion polls and the like after one that is pro X-Box is put
> out ?

I'd like to point out that I've made no comments at all about the reliability of the poll. :-)
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:46
Regular
The "significant" XBOX titles are just around the corner. Whether you like them or not is debateable though.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Am I the only one wondering why all these arguements have popped up about opinion polls and the like after one that is pro X-Box is put out ?

People were quite happy to go along with similar posts that put out how amazingly well the other 2 consoles were doing. As soon as something good for the X-Box comes up, a swarm of replies follow about how unreliable and toss the sources are. ;-))
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:44
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> The PS2 didn't get it's first proper AAA title until GT3 (not my sort
> of game but the rest of the world seems to like it for some reason or
> other), six months after launch.

Tekken Tag, Ridge V and TimeSplitters were all launch AAA titles.

What is a AAA title? A big name, that MOST people will want to buy.

Of course, the actual standard of AAA titles increases as time goes on, so none would be considered as such now.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:41
"High polygon count"
garbe123 wrote:
> Amped has no tricks, LOL! I think YH is having a laugh with you, the
> whole game is about tricks and performing to get sponsors, the game is
> far from straight snow-boarding, it doesn't even have any races!

Actually, that's my mistake (tired) - YH did say that it was all tricks and little racing - which is why I didn't bother, because I gave up tricking on SSX and wanted to race. I claimed Amped in my 'reward pack' and traded it without playing it. So I apologise unreservedly for that.

> To be honest I don't know why I am having this conversation, you don't
> want Xbox games and I do

No, that's where you're wrong. I DO want Xbox games. But where are they? As I've said countless times, I go into the shops week after week, and there are just the same launch titles staring back at me. Mid-March to November - seven and a half months - is TOO DAMN LONG to leave a newly-launched console with no *significant* titles. (Note the term 'significant'!)
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:34
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>> garbe123 wrote:
>> The PS2 has a lot of games but the launch titles were utter
>> pants
>
> But there was a steady flow of quality titles for PS2 in the weeks and
> months after launch.

Ahem...

The PS2 didn't get it's first proper AAA title until GT3 (not my sort of game but the rest of the world seems to like it for some reason or other), six months after launch.

Most of the games before that were even sub-Dreamcast standard.

By the by, if only 13% were planning on getting a Gamecube, it's clearly because the 87% already had one... :-D

Opinion polls can't be trusted.

The magazine/site that published it probably chose it from a several polls - the others with results that favoured rival consoles...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.