GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game survey taken in USA, Xbox is Fave"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
Taken from www.officialxboxmagazine.co.uk: -

"The results of the largest survey of gamers this year has revealed that Xbox is the top console of choice this Christmas.

Over 12,000 US gamers were asked, "What console do you plan to buy in the coming year?" and 39 percent answered Xbox! 27 percent answered PlayStation 2, and 17 percent plan to pick up a GameCube.

The study also showed that game demos are the most influence over game purchase decisions. When asked "Which of these items highly influence your game purchase decisions?" nearly 8 out of 10 respondents (78%) ranked game demos the number 1 factor, far ahead of the number 2 response: game reviews (47%). Both television commercials (35%) and magazine ads (31%) trailed furthest behind as drivers."

Not bad eh?
Sat 31/08/02 at 20:10
Regular
garbe123 wrote:

> If I want to get GTA3 again then I can get the PC version,

And If I want to get almost any decent X-box game, I'll get it on the PC, which will be better.
Sat 31/08/02 at 20:08
Regular
Hang on, you said the PS2 had no decent games, then you said your buying Buffy..
Sat 31/08/02 at 19:32
Regular
You are telling me to stop being fussy yet a lot of launch titles I said you just said no! These are the launch titles I own/still getting, they weren't all available on the launch but they came out within 3 weeks of it:

Halo
RalliSport Challenge
Project Gotham Racing
Dead or Alive 3
Max Payne
Amped

I am getting:

Jet Set Radio Future
Oddworld Munchs Oddysee
Gun Valkyrie
MOTO GP

Now them 4 will keep me going until Buffy, Conflict Desert Storm and Turok are released then there are 5 games in October, 7 in November and 8 in December! Of and by the way I woned 10 PS2 games, 2 I sold soon after buying but the other 8 I kept until the end! MGS2 and GTA3 were the only ones I liked, and as I said GTA3 is on PC and MGS2 is coming to the Xbox with improved graphics and other extras. The PS2 is definatley the worst console I have ever owned and instead of doing what other sheep did I wished I had gotten a Dreamcast back then instead of geting one 8 weeks a go.

If I want to get GTA3 again then I can get the PC version, I do want MGS2 Substance and I will be pre-ordering that soon. I had MGS2 on pre-order for 6 months and Max Payne for 7! I was a loyal Sony fan and I was looking forward to the launch, but there was nothing! GT3 was boring and even though I played the game endlessly I eventually got bored and gave up.

I didn't like the PS2 and no-one can tell me otherwise, but when you say I should have looked further the only other one I wanted was Pro Evolution but at that time I was ready to sell it anyway. If you call HALO a 3rd rate launch title then I can't imagine what your 1st rate ones are.
Sat 31/08/02 at 19:10
"High polygon count"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Why? Halo, PGR and Oddworld are pretty much the only AAA titles that
> were available at launch.

And blow me down with a feather if we don't still have ANOTHER eight weeks to wait before anything that even looks remotely worth buying hits the shelves.

MS may as well have waited until November to launch the machine (in Europe, at least) with a glut of good titles, and priced it at £150. That's effectively what they've done anyway!

Then they'd have made a real splash. Instead, all they've done is effectively spent seven-and-a-half months persuading people to buy other platforms.
Sat 31/08/02 at 19:05
"High polygon count"
garbe123 wrote:
> The PS2 has a lot of games but the launch titles were utter
> pants

But there was a steady flow of quality titles for PS2 in the weeks and months after launch.

> and since then GTA3 has become available on the PC

As they always have been. "PS2 exclusive" means in the console world, and never has included PC versions.

> and MGS2 has been announced on the Xbox

No it hasn't. "MGS2: Substance" has been announced for Xbox, and it is also coming to the PS2. The original game, plus extra features. But PS2 owners have already had the chance to play the main game. Much the same as Xbox had Wreckless exclusively for a limited period. Except (a) MGS2 was a better game, and (b) PS2 Wreckless features enhanced gameplay, whereas Xbox MGS2 doesn't.

> they wree the only 2 good PS2 games I owned!

Well, you should have bought more then!

> I am still buying Xbox launch titles

Why? Halo, PGR and Oddworld are pretty much the only AAA titles that were available at launch. You can sit there straight-faced and claim that you 'only' had 2 good PS2 games, when you're still buying 3rd-rate launch titles? You can't be that fussy about your games.

> and I can't understand why you still own an Xbox because it is clear
> that you aren't interested in any of the games bar Halo!

I'm not even interested in that any more. As I've already stated, come January, I'll be selling it if things don't improve. They look like they will, but I'll wait for some final reviews - I'm way past the stage where I buy a game because it looks pretty.
Sat 31/08/02 at 18:56
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
that is straight from the
> horses mouth so how do you justify that?

You mean, straight from Microsoft themselves? And you didn't stop to consider the fact that they will lie about their sales to make them seem good, because they are afraid that developers will stop producing games for their console.

I'm not saying that is true, but it could be, the same as it could be true that all companies are doing it. The fact is you can't trust any of these statistics.
Sat 31/08/02 at 18:14
Regular
KIREBA wrote:
> Opinion polls mean nothing, just look at political opinion polls. The
> fact is that people lie and or change their minds when the time comes.
> Only actual sales matter, while American X Box sales are healthy they
> are not nearly as good as Microsoft had hoped.

Where do you get that evidence from? Opinion Polls? The same ones you say mean nothing? Otherwise how do you know they aren't selling as well as they hoped for? In OXM magazine this month they say they are selling MORE than they expected in America, that is straight from the horses mouth so how do you justify that? In the same paragraph you have contridicted yourself by saying that opinion polls mean nothing yet you are saying that sales aren't matching what they hoped, make your mind up!
Sat 31/08/02 at 18:11
Regular
Yes but Wookie the GameCube is in the same position as the Xbox, good launch titles and then not many blockbusters since bar a couple, this is what I would call a summer drought and every console has them, but both the Xbox and GameCube have their best games due out over the coming months! It makes me laugh becuase if Microsoft had saved the launch titles and spread them out over the summer you would be praising them, but as they all came out within 2 weeks of each other then there would be a drought until September when all the big hitters come out. The PS2 has a lot of games but the launch titles were utter pants and since then GTA3 has become available on the PC and MGS2 has been announced on the Xbox, they wree the only 2 good PS2 games I owned! I am still buying Xbox launch titles and I can't understand why you still own an Xbox because it is clear that you aren't interested in any of the games bar Halo!
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:47
Regular
Opinion polls mean nothing, just look at political opinion polls. The fact is that people lie and or change their minds when the time comes. Only actual sales matter, while American X Box sales are healthy they are not nearly as good as Microsoft had hoped.
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:14
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Cute, but crap. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.