GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Roy Keane - any future?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/08/02 at 22:30
Regular
No doubt Man U fans will rush to his defence, but in all seriousness, does he have a future in football? More to the point, SHOULD he have a future in football?

After disgracing himself in the debacle with the Republic of Ireland at the World Cup, he now admits in his book that the 'challenge' on Alf Inge Haaland was in fact premeditated - in other words, a deliberate assault.

He was sent off and banned for three games at the time, and now faces another FA disrepute charge. To be honest, I don't think a disrepute charge is enough - unless any related fine is massive, and any additional ban is substantially more than three games.

This is an interesting test for the FA. Will they dare impose a second ban for the same offence, now that they know it was a deliberate assault? Having recently fined Arsenal £50,000 for their "disciplinary problems" last season, surely an admission of a deliberate assault on a fellow professional warrants at least an equal amount? And probably a lengthy suspension too?

Haaland has played just one full game since the incident; his career has been on hold at best, and at worst could be over. I hope that he decides to press formal assault charges. Whehter you like Keane or not, there is surely no defence whatsoever for these actions.

This admission surely also diminishes his standing among his fellow professionals. Personally I have always believed that he is quite simply a nasty piece of work - now he's proved it.

There are two certainties arising from this admission:

1. Keane is a bigger idiot than even I gave him credit for. Committing the offence was bad enough; admitting it publicly is utterly moronic.

2. This season's derby matches between United and City will certainly be worth watching.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:45
Regular
Yes, but fergie has to defend him there if he is thinking of appealing the decision.

Wenger would have done the same...

Keane done a similar thing late on against Shearer at St.James park last season. (that was his only sending off last season) I dunno, what goes on in his mind...

As long as he keeps it to one game a season...
Sun 01/09/02 at 00:01
Regular
".......on the attac"
Or†ega wrote:
> As long as he keeps it to one game a season...

Who knows how many times he will do it.

He's an idiot, plain and simple. If he wasn't a professional footballer he'd be one of the morons you see round town whos night isn't complete until they've had a fight.

He can't help being an idiot, Fergie has played him for years now and he's used to it.
Sun 01/09/02 at 00:17
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Bën wrote:
> He's an idiot, plain and simple. If he wasn't a professional
> footballer he'd be one of the morons you see round town whos night
> isn't complete until they've had a fight.

Too true, He is a hothead and acts before he thinks(if he can that is).

> He can't help being an idiot, Fergie has played him for years now and
> he's used to it.

Fergie sticks up for him every time no matter how wrong Keane was. Fergie is the main reason that I hate United, not because of their success and what they have achieved. He will always make up some bogus complaint or reason for them doing wrong or losing which sickens me.

What does everyone think about Uriah Rennie being a Premiership ref at all. I didn't see it but I heard he gave Beckham a yellow card for having a football kicked at him which quite rightly angered him. He has said before that he issues yellow cards to players to make himself seem hard and even started mini hate campaigns against players in matches he referee's by not giving free kicks for fouls on them or even booking them for nothing offences. He is also a generally crap ref who I feel should have at least been demoted in divisions by now.
Sun 01/09/02 at 03:26
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> Yes, but fergie has to defend him there if he is thinking of appealing
> the decision.

On the other hand, he could forget the appeal, accept the ban gracefully and tell Keane not to be so fecking stupid in the future.

It was so blatant he must know an appeal won't wash.

I agree with Ben - Keane is the sort of knuckle-dragging moron who goes looking for trouble. And to think he (a) is supposedly friends with McAteer, and (b) had a go at Neville earlier for a rash challenge!

He says now that he doesn't care if the FA hand him another ban for the assault on Haaland, but as he's so influential for Utd., his teammates and manager may have something to say about it, as they are the ones who potentially suffer for his actions.

I seriously think it's about time Fergie told him "enough is enough" and told him to get his act together. You can be the same quality player if you curb the temper, as Vieira has shown.
Sun 01/09/02 at 17:21
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> You can be the same quality player if you curb the temper, as Vieira has shown.

Yeh, he has moved on from elbowing people to just kicking them :).
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Shadow wrote:
> WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> You can be the same quality player if you curb the temper, as Vieira
> has shown.
>
> Yeh, he has moved on from elbowing people to just kicking them :).

What Vieira did did NOT warrant a sending off although most of the rest of the Arsenal team and a select few Chelsea players should have been. Having a good chance to see whilst it was a live match just showed how dirty some of the players were. Keown shoving the opposition players consistently at set pieces, Numerous players on both sides going to ground with minimal contact, Cole and Gronkjaer constantly fouling each other. worst of all today was the ref though, inconsistent throughout the match and if Vieira was sent off for what he did the Wiltord should have been sent off for shoving Gronkjaer to the floor.
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:54
Regular
Mr Ritze wrote:
> What Vieira did NOT warrant a sending off

No but it warranted a yellow card, the fact he already had one meant he got a red. It was a lazy tackle and he left his foot in, bookable offence.
Sun 01/09/02 at 19:04
"High polygon count"
Shadow wrote:
> No but it warranted a yellow card, the fact he already had one meant
> he got a red. It was a lazy tackle and he left his foot in, bookable
> offence.

Rubbish!

Vieira didn't even tackle the guy. He moved in front to block the pass, making no contact at all, and the guy kicked his foot in the follow-through.

Interestingly, it was EXACTLY what Ashley Cole did against Cisse in the Birmingham game - only then, COLE was branded as a cheat and a diver. Again, so much for refereeing consistency.

Even the first yellow Vieira received was harsh - slid in, missed the guy, who then fell over him. Still, that happens a lot, and I can accept that one - but the second was just ridiculous on the referee's part.

If United can appeal Keane's red card, I'm damn sure Arsenal will appeal Vieira's.
Sun 01/09/02 at 19:22
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Vieira didn't even tackle the guy. He moved in front to block the
> pass, making no contact at all, and the guy kicked his foot in the
> follow-through.

For one moment I thought it was Mr Wenger giving his opinion.

I'm damn sure Arsenal will appeal Vieira's.

There can be nothing more certain.
Sun 01/09/02 at 19:43
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> You can be the same quality player if you curb the temper, as Vieira
> has shown.

Last seasons stats tell a different story. Keane only got booked 4 times in the Premiership with one sending off. While Vieira had 10 bookings and one sending off.

"On the other hand, he could forget the appeal, accept the ban gracefully and tell Keane not to be so fecking stupid in the future.

It was so blatant he must know an appeal won't wash."

Uh huh, but you said yourself that the incident looked rather timid until you see it from the other angle. Perhaps Fergie had only seen it from that angle. I'm only speculating...

What Fergie says to Keane behind the Camera could be completley different to what he says on the camera...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.