GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Roy Keane - any future?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/08/02 at 22:30
Regular
No doubt Man U fans will rush to his defence, but in all seriousness, does he have a future in football? More to the point, SHOULD he have a future in football?

After disgracing himself in the debacle with the Republic of Ireland at the World Cup, he now admits in his book that the 'challenge' on Alf Inge Haaland was in fact premeditated - in other words, a deliberate assault.

He was sent off and banned for three games at the time, and now faces another FA disrepute charge. To be honest, I don't think a disrepute charge is enough - unless any related fine is massive, and any additional ban is substantially more than three games.

This is an interesting test for the FA. Will they dare impose a second ban for the same offence, now that they know it was a deliberate assault? Having recently fined Arsenal £50,000 for their "disciplinary problems" last season, surely an admission of a deliberate assault on a fellow professional warrants at least an equal amount? And probably a lengthy suspension too?

Haaland has played just one full game since the incident; his career has been on hold at best, and at worst could be over. I hope that he decides to press formal assault charges. Whehter you like Keane or not, there is surely no defence whatsoever for these actions.

This admission surely also diminishes his standing among his fellow professionals. Personally I have always believed that he is quite simply a nasty piece of work - now he's proved it.

There are two certainties arising from this admission:

1. Keane is a bigger idiot than even I gave him credit for. Committing the offence was bad enough; admitting it publicly is utterly moronic.

2. This season's derby matches between United and City will certainly be worth watching.
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
*He moved in front to block the pass, making no contact at all, and the guy kicked his foot in the follow-through.*

lol and i suppose Mcateer swung his chin in the way of Keane's elbow yesterday didn't he? I think we've found the guy who writes everything up for Wenger because that was vintage of the french stevie wonder.
Vieria went in with a high boot and caught Gronkjaer's trailing leg. Bookable offence. He already had a yellow card which shouldn't have been given as he hardly touched Zola so he was off. Blame D'Urso for the 1st offence but don't try and excuse Vieria for the 2nd one as that was clearly a foul and a booking which he got.
Now if we're talking Arsenal players who should have been sent off then there's Wiltord, Campbell for smacking 2 players in a row in the face and Keown for hitting Hasselbaink. They were lucky to still have 10 people on the pitch.
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:32
Regular
lalakersrule wrote:
> *He moved in front to block the pass, making no contact at all, and
> the guy kicked his foot in the follow-through.*
>
>
> lol and i suppose Mcateer swung his chin in the way of Keane's elbow
> yesterday didn't he?

LOL, how about next "He tripped over his foot"
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:40
"High polygon count"
Shadow wrote:
> For one moment I thought it was Mr Wenger giving his opinion.

Did you not see the replay? Clear as day. Andy Gray said the same, and for Sky's resident United fan to say so, there must be some truth in it!
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:45
"High polygon count"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Vieria went in with a high boot and caught Gronkjaer's trailing leg.

Rubbish. Vieira's foot was no more than a foot off the ground, and he made no contact. The guy kicked the ball away, and his follow-through hit Vieira's foot. This isn't even worth discussing, as the replay shows it clearly.

> Now if we're talking Arsenal players who should have been sent off
> then there's Wiltord

Yes, Wiltord was very lucky to stay on, but the Chelsea guy was also booked - whether that was for the initial challenge, or some verbal, I don't know.

> Campbell for smacking 2 players in a row

Sorry? If it had been anyone else but Zola, he'd have been holding him back across the chest. He didn't 'smack' anyone.

> in the face and Keown for hitting Hasselbaink.

Keown hit Hasslebaink? I don't think so. There was pushing and shoving in the box, but no more than goes on as usual in a heated London derby match.
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:51
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Did you not see the replay? Clear as day.

Yes, I always watch the reply to make sure and I saw it as a late foot in, you see it as a follow through from the Chelsea player, thats football.

The ref is going to have to review it and we will see what he says, if he takes back the yellow card then I will stand corrected.
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:55
"High polygon count"
Shadow wrote:
> Yes, I always watch the reply to make sure and I saw it as a late foot
> in, you see it as a follow through from the Chelsea player, thats
> football.

I just don't see how it's a 'late foot in' when he didn't slide, tackle, or do anything other than attempt to block the clearance. There simply was no hint of a challenge on the Chelsea player. As I've said, it's identical to the Cole/Cisse incident in everything other than the position on the pitch.

> The ref is going to have to review it and we will see what he says, if
> he takes back the yellow card then I will stand corrected.

He was such a winker in the game that I can foresee him refusing to look at it. But we shall see.
Sun 01/09/02 at 21:01
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I just don't see how it's a 'late foot in' when he didn't slide,
> tackle, or do anything other than attempt to block the clearance.
> There simply was no hint of a challenge on the Chelsea player.

I saw it that he played the man not the ball and left his foot in to catch the Chelsea player. I will have another look at it on Sky and see it again from what you are saying.
Sun 01/09/02 at 22:25
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> lalakersrule wrote:
> Vieria went in with a high boot and caught Gronkjaer's trailing leg.
>
> Rubbish. Vieira's foot was no more than a foot off the ground, and he
> made no contact. The guy kicked the ball away, and his follow-through
> hit Vieira's foot. This isn't even worth discussing, as the replay
> shows it clearly.

lemme check this through. *and he made no contact* and *his follow through hit vierias foot*

can you clear that up for me either he made contact by hitting his foot or he mysteriously didn't touch him even though i heard the contact and the replay shows contact between Vieria's foot and Gronkjaer's boot. That was a foul, one of the only things D'Urso got right in the match. Vieria gave him a good kick in his boot after he played the ball. It was a late challenge yellow card goodbye Vieria thank you. (Stupid fool though, i picked him for my fantasy footie league thing) What's next *oh i didn't do nothing ref he visciously assaulted me by smacking the back of his leg into my foot. Could've seriously injured me that.*

>
> Now if we're talking Arsenal players who should have been sent off
> then there's Wiltord
>
> Yes, Wiltord was very lucky to stay on, but the Chelsea guy was also
> booked - whether that was for the initial challenge, or some verbal, I
> don't know.
>
>
> Campbell for smacking 2 players in a row
>
> Sorry? If it had been anyone else but Zola, he'd have been holding
> him back across the chest. He didn't 'smack' anyone.

Campbell threw his arm back and caught Zola in the face or if that isn't good enough he went and elbowed De Lucas out the way. Noticed you never mentioned that. But hey let's blame Zola for not being 7 foot 6 shall we?

>
> in the face and Keown for hitting Hasselbaink.
>
> Keown hit Hasslebaink? I don't think so. There was pushing and
> shoving in the box, but no more than goes on as usual in a heated
> London derby match.

Keown gave him a pretty good shove in the top of the chest that was more vicious then the Keane incident yesterday. The rules state you raise your hands to a player and your off. Keown did just that to Hasselbaink. That wasn't about getting position Hasselbaink wasn't even running about looking for space at that time he was walking around in the box he bumped into Keown and then Keown shoved him away at the top of the chest near the throat. I mean how many times do Arsenal players need to smack their opposition about to get a yellow card or sending off? The only person who didn't deserve to get sent off got sent off in Vieria who should just have a yellow card at the moment.
Sun 01/09/02 at 23:43
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Keown gave him a pretty good shove in the top of the chest that was
> more vicious then the Keane incident yesterday. The rules state you
> raise your hands to a player and your off. Keown did just that to
> Hasselbaink. That wasn't about getting position Hasselbaink wasn't
> even running about looking for space at that time he was walking
> around in the box he bumped into Keown and then Keown shoved him away
> at the top of the chest near the throat. I mean how many times do
> Arsenal players need to smack their opposition about to get a yellow
> card or sending off? The only person who didn't deserve to get sent
> off got sent off in Vieria who should just have a yellow card at the
> moment.

Keown did that every time. He knows thay if they start running he has had it and will never catch up so he constantly shoves anyone that happens to be in his reach to prevent them doing anything and is a worse offense than shirt pulling. He was contiuously doing to Gudjohnson as well who in the end resided to waiting outsode the penalty area instead.

Lauren showed just how crap he was in that match though, he produced nothing when going forward and whilst defending tried to play stupid passes that were intercepted or when a Chelsea player came near he turned his back on them, fell over and got a free kick.

As for Vieira, had he stayed on the rest of the 45 minutes or so he too may have deserved to be sent off at the end of it.
Mon 02/09/02 at 00:12
"High polygon count"
lalakersrule wrote:
> lemme check this through. *and he made no contact* and *his follow
> through hit vierias foot*
>
> can you clear that up for me

Okay, in simple terms...

The ball broke to Gronkjaer. Vieira went after it. As Gronkjaer went to kick the ball, Vieira got himself in front of him, with a foot raised about 12 inches from the pitch, to block the forward ball. No contact so far.

Gronkjaer kicks the ball with his left foot (I think). The ball travels off - can't remember if it hit Vieira or got past, but that's irrelevant.

As Gronkjaer's left foot follows through the swing of the kick, it hits Vieira's boot.

Put simply, Vieira did not make contact with Gronkjaer - Gronkjaer made contact with Vieira. Hence, no foul was made by Vieira.

As I said earlier, this is exactly what happened with Cole and Cisse, and I said at the time Cisse didn't deserve to go off.

> Campbell threw his arm back and caught Zola in the face

Campbell's arms weren't swinging - it was a straightforward battle for the ball. Campbell had it, Zola wanted it, Campbell kept it. Zola obviously didn't feel that hard done by, because they were smiling and shaking hands afterwards - two professionals, accepting that, hey, s**t happens in a game.

> or if that isn't good enough he went and elbowed De Lucas out the way.

I didn't mention that because I didn't see it. We had family round for the match, and I was talking to my cousin.

> Keown gave him a pretty good shove in the top of the chest that was
> more vicious then the Keane incident yesterday.

I'm sorry, but a push on the chest is nowhere near as vicious as an elbow in the head. And it's not like Hasselbaink is an angel - he was giving as good as he was getting.

> I mean how many times do Arsenal players need to smack their opposition
> about to get a yellow card or sending off?

Well, obviously not many, because we get plenty, if you hadn't noticed. Not all of which are justified, as today proved.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.