GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Roy Keane - any future?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/08/02 at 22:30
Regular
No doubt Man U fans will rush to his defence, but in all seriousness, does he have a future in football? More to the point, SHOULD he have a future in football?

After disgracing himself in the debacle with the Republic of Ireland at the World Cup, he now admits in his book that the 'challenge' on Alf Inge Haaland was in fact premeditated - in other words, a deliberate assault.

He was sent off and banned for three games at the time, and now faces another FA disrepute charge. To be honest, I don't think a disrepute charge is enough - unless any related fine is massive, and any additional ban is substantially more than three games.

This is an interesting test for the FA. Will they dare impose a second ban for the same offence, now that they know it was a deliberate assault? Having recently fined Arsenal £50,000 for their "disciplinary problems" last season, surely an admission of a deliberate assault on a fellow professional warrants at least an equal amount? And probably a lengthy suspension too?

Haaland has played just one full game since the incident; his career has been on hold at best, and at worst could be over. I hope that he decides to press formal assault charges. Whehter you like Keane or not, there is surely no defence whatsoever for these actions.

This admission surely also diminishes his standing among his fellow professionals. Personally I have always believed that he is quite simply a nasty piece of work - now he's proved it.

There are two certainties arising from this admission:

1. Keane is a bigger idiot than even I gave him credit for. Committing the offence was bad enough; admitting it publicly is utterly moronic.

2. This season's derby matches between United and City will certainly be worth watching.
Wed 14/08/02 at 17:51
Regular
"Long time no see!"
He's Irish - 'nuff said!
Getting a drink down him may work for most people, but NOT for an Irishman!
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:36
Regular
From the daily mail today.

Alf-Inge Haaland may have ruined his own chances of successfully suing Roy Keane and Manchester United, it emerged last night.

'Lawyers acting for Haaland and his club Manchester City are preparing a £6million action over Keane's admission that he intended to injure Haaland in a Manchester derby last year.

'But their hopes of winning the case will be jeopardised by an article that appeared on the Norwegian's website last May in which he said the damage to his left knee was not caused by Keane's studs-up challenge.’
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:46
in defensive midfield, i think gilberto silva, vieira or davids are far better players.

i reckon he should be fined at least a million considering he gets £60,000 a week.

rivaldo should get another fine after the first turkey match as well., what was it £5000? for a guy that gets £85,000 a week?
Mon 19/08/02 at 17:59
Regular
Indeed, but Roy Keane has been the main ingredient in a team that has won 6 league championships, 3 Fa Cups, and that champions league thingy...

Still dont think Keane is all that of a player? Go have a look a look at how United performed without him in the champs league final...Then look at probably one of the best individual performances of all time in the semi final that year against Juve in Turin, even though Keane knew he would miss the final...
Mon 19/08/02 at 18:07
"High polygon count"
All that aside, though...

1. International career suicide.
2. Admission of deliberately assaulting a fellow professional.
3. Swipes at many of his own United colleagues.
4. Starring as himself in a film abuot his life.

I really do think he's lost the plot.

And Fergie backs him all the way.

Heh - and people say Wenger is blind!
Wed 21/08/02 at 11:33
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Fergie shouldn't be backing him, he should be bringing in some mental help for the Irishman!

He's a great player an' all but he's a flaming nutter!

He needs to get his head sorted or something...

He is pushing his luck though with all these things.
To be honest, I still think we'd do well without him.
If you look closely in some games, you'll see how he trys to control the game and do a lot of it all by himself. This did work to get us out of those problems last year but we're not a one-man team!
He takes his role as captain too seriously, and has somehow talked himself into 2 new contracts during the last few years - one worth £52,000 a week, and the other at around £60k minimum!

No player deserves to be anywhere near that kinda money - especially not him! He is a disgrace to our club with his un-proffesional behaviour, but he can do a good job on the pitch when he uses the help of his team-mates rather than nicking the ball off them!
Sat 31/08/02 at 17:12
Regular
After todays performance, the question has to be asked. His sending off and the charge from the FA for his book is going to mean a lenghy ban for Keane at a time that Utd can ill afford with the injurys.

He needs to use the time off to sort himself out. I applaud his attitude to winning, but he is taking it too far. The fans on tuesday night were far from happy when stopped Forlan from taking the penalty.

I am sure the Sunday Papers will use the situation to put additional pressure on Keane and how long can Sir Alex continue to defend his captain.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:08
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
This is coming from a United fan now but after watching today's match all i have to say is what a stupid f'n idiot Roy Keane is. Near enough 2 days before he gets hauled infront of the FA about his actions against Haaland you think any person with half a brain would be thinking *ok i'm on my best behaviour today i won't react to anything today* but no Mr Roy Keane decides just beause he got a tap on the legs 15 minutes earlier he's going to raise his elbow to Jason Mcateer. You do that on a football pitch and you're off. Do that in the street and you're usually locked up.

You think after all these red cards he'd think of the team first and not getting his revenge. Sure today it was in the 90th minute against Sunderland but who's to say that it won't be in like the 20th minute in the Champions League final against Real Madrid. He's a real liability now to United and Feguson needs to get his head out of Keane's buttocks and see that.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:15
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Well Roy Keane has to be banned for all of the stupid things he has done recently and should consider seeing someone about his mental state. Soon, fans will realise that all they have to do is wind him up and he will do something stupid. As damaging as he may be to the other team, he will become an even bigger danger to his own team by getting wound up and sent off.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:58
"High polygon count"
Just seen the incident on The Premiership, and at first - from the side view - I have to admit I thought there was nothing in it, and the sending off wash harsh. It looked like he just brushed him.

But then they showed it from another angle - behind Keane and McAteer - and you could clearly see that there was force applied.

Sorry, Fergie - but the elbow WAS swung - however slightly - whatever you say or think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.