GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cooling off"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/08/02 at 18:50
Regular
I'm fed up with the really noisy fans in my PC - they're driving me insane. I've had a look at a Water Cooling Kit available from Maplins, with the following equipment:

2 x Waterblocks
1 x thermal paste
9ft of ¼" silicon tubing
1 x Fill jug
4 x Different Mounting Clips
1 x Slot 1/A adaptor
3 x Slot and Socket hold down devices
1 x P4 device
1 x 12v Pump/Res
1 x Box full of hose clamps/screws.

I have no idea what this means for the welfare of my PC once installed, but I need to know, for those who've used or know more about water cooling, if the water tank/reservoir required is relatively small (ie. fits into a small room), and where the coolers will be installed ie. on the CPU, GPU, but is there a need for anywhere else?

I'm asking this as the two additional fans I have on the case produce the loudest noise, and I want to get rid of these as well.

Finally, a thing about Peltier devices - I've heard about it can channel heat so that it's very hot on one side, and cool on the other - where does this heat go without boiling the PC - would a water cooler be a good thing to use next to the Peltier device?

I hope someone can help.
Sun 25/08/02 at 01:45
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Heh it was just a joke, I think the person that made it got a bit carried away, theres another one in there that uses a smaller case to hold the water stuff but it has a fan thats almost bigger than the case.
*rumages around for a picture*

http://www.water-cooling.com/rigs/crow/fanside2.jpg

I double dare you to fix a bigger fan into your PC!
Sun 25/08/02 at 01:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Lol, not quite...
Sat 24/08/02 at 15:30
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
http://www.water-cooling.com/rigs/ji%20kaung/69.JPG

Is this just a one-off or are they all this big?!
Wed 21/08/02 at 19:24
Regular
"-Enemy Detected-"
To take off the HSF on the GFX card, its probably attached by some sort of thermal epoxy, shove it in the freezer for while, the bonds in it should weaken, then you should able to screw it off in a turning motion...

P.s. MAke your own water block :p
Tue 20/08/02 at 12:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Neep!

Heh, ok, next time I feel like burning my fingers I'll rip it out and have a good look.
Tue 20/08/02 at 10:27
Regular
It might also be using thermal glue, this will take some carefull prising off, and then you will have to remove the left over glue from the gpu using a stanley knife, risky!!!.

c.b.
Tue 20/08/02 at 02:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Moulded, eg. not square. There's stuff closely surrounding it, and it appears it's held on by more than just clips.
Tue 20/08/02 at 01:11
Regular
If you are not sure you can do it then don't i destroyed a voodoo 5 5500 not to long ago and that was only the easy 2 little clips holding the heatsinks and fan on.

What do you mean by molded?

c.b.
Mon 19/08/02 at 23:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Doubtful a passive heatsink is good enough for my graphics card - especially when overclocking, but I'm seriously considering fixing a Papst to it ot similar. Trouble is - it's one of those moulded jobbies, and I don't really want to destroy my £200 card.

Has anyone ever replaced the fan on a graphics card?

(It's a Gainward Ti550 (Ti500 with faster ram), btw)
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:35
Regular
"How Handy."
It was a thermo-engine actually.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.