GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony are the only company that deliver affordable gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/07/02 at 11:00
Regular
Hats off to Sony unlike MS and Ninty they are there to make gaming affordable unlike the others who are only interested in profit.

Sony scored a big hit with the PS1 and platinum games, which were affordable quality games that had to sell a certain amount to turn platinum, while N64 was still trying to sell cartridges for £64.99 Sony's platinum range came in at £19.99 and proved a big hit.

I am glad to see they are carryiing on the tradition with there PS2 platinum range. I mean lets face it GT3 is a far superior game to Project Gotham and yet it is have the price. They say you have to pay for quality but on this evidence you don't.
Page:
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:44
Techno freak wrote:
> Only reason the GC is so cheap is because, it hasn't got the future
> proof format or features of the PS2, and that is why people still buy
> the £199 machine instead of the GC because it represents better
> value for money, plays dvd's and has a wide range of games at
> affordable prices.

Here we go again. Firstly, not everyone needs a DVD player 'cos they already have one. Secondly, the PS2 cheats by being able to play PSone games.

> Another point about MS, the PS2 didn't come down in price for about a
> year such is the popularity of the brand they didn't need to comprise
> the amount of money they spent developing it. However how many weeks
> did it take MS to drop the Xbox, they say it was to make gaming
> affordable more like they weren't selling any, smells of desperation
> to me.

One rule for the PS2 and one rule for the others huh? Sony's console is allowed to be expensive for a long time so that they can make profit with the gamers in mind? Heh... What you have just said gives ME the impression that Sony didn't want to lower the price of their console because they wanted to make as much money as possible while there was no competition. They aren't thinking about the gamers, just their own profit. The reason why the X-box lowered their console's price was to be in better competition with the other consoles. Also, they wanted to look caring towards the gamers. They aren't "desparate".

You have got to be one of the worst fanboys I have ever seen. You post utter nonsense. Oh, and yes, I do realise that you will respond to this post quoting me on my impressions about the PS2, trying to negate everything I have said with made up plop.

I'm not gonna argue that any console is better than any other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:45
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Techno freak wrote:
> Only reason the GC is so cheap is because, it hasn't got the future
> proof format or features of the PS2, and that is why people still buy
> the £199 machine instead of the GC because it represents better
> value for money, plays dvd's and has a wide range of games at
> affordable prices.

---

You can get a new DVD player and a new GC for about £230, which is £70 less than the PS2 was when it first came out.

How can you say GC games aren't at affordable prices? They cost the same, if not less the the PS2 games.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:48
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
AfroJoe wrote:
> You can get a new DVD player and a new GC for about £230, which
> is £70 less than the PS2 was when it first came out.

Non point. DVD players were more expensive back then, too.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:49
Regular
GameCube - internet ready.

Will sort of. It has Serial ports, not the new USB standard like PS2 and PC. A modem for PSO GC is due. But no hard disc. The Sony PS2 can have the hard disc put inside (expansion bay at back), and XBox already has one. Broadband on GC (if it happens) will be slower at times because of the slow Serial interface. Sony's will be in the expansion bay - straight on the motherboard - so it should be faster.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:51
"Darkness, always"
Dave RJR wrote:
> As far as the console goes, yes the GC is cheaper than PS2. But on
> average the PS2 software is cheaper. It's always possible to stretch
> the issue to include managers specials, or even 2nd user discs, but
> this is not representative of the majority of prices.

GC games are consistently priced at circa £35. Looking at the top 20 charts for both PS2 and GC, I notice a few things. Yes, the total cost of the GC top 20 is higher, however, the PS2 chart contains re-releases of games about 2 years old, which are obviously priced much lower (around £18), the rest of the stuff ranges from £22 to £45. So the high end software for PS2 is actually more expensive, and the main reason on the whole the prices are lower is because of budget re-releases, which I'm sure Nintendo will have once their console has been out for 2 years.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:52
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
El Swandre wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> You can get a new DVD player and a new GC for about £230,
> which
> is £70 less than the PS2 was when it first came out.
>
> Non point. DVD players were more expensive back then, too.

---

I got a new DVD player last week. It was new. Had been out for less than a month. Guess how much? £110.

It's good quality too.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:53
Regular
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:

> So £170.00 more just for DVD and CD capabilities is worth it, is
> it? Don't make me laugh.
>
> and has a wide range of games at affordable prices.
>
> Of course it does! It's been out for what, three years? The GameCube's
> been out for 2/3 months. Use some sense. There's going to be a
> promised 130 GameCube games by Christmas, also. And what's this about
> 'affordable prices'? PS2 games new = £44.99. GameCube games new
> = £34.99.

You a funny guy, I think you will find that the PS2 is £199 and that top titles on GC are £44.99 the only one being Star Wars, unless you rate the lemmings rip-off Pikimen.

Being a gaming fan I do like to buy quite a few games and most of the PS2 titles I have pick up are on special offers like buy one get 2nd half price, or buy 2 and get 3rd free and these are top titles. Then again I could always buy Extreme G3 for GC at £39.99 or on PS2 platinum for £19.99.

Go into second hand resale shops and there are cheap PS2 games all over the place it is the format of choice and there ain't nothing you can do about it.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> With that in mind, why were they still notably more expensive than PC
> games?

I don't know much about how the industry works, but I'm guessing, to make more money :o)
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:57
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Have noticed how most websites sell GC games for no more than £39.99 (simplygames does 2 at £29.99) and the only games I've seen at £44.99 are, well, I've not seen 1 game at £44.99 for GC, not even in high street shops.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:59
Regular
Extreme G3 is money for old rope - regardless of which console you have. Keep well clear of it!
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.